Abbey park end of an era

wow-wee

On May 8th Abbey park will host it's last ever game against auckinleck talbot you could not get a better team to give the old ground a proper send off. The buffs have played there for 90 years and have seen many ups and downs it will be a sad end to the old place but we move on and create new history at the new ground.

What's your greatest memories of the place ?

As a fan I have many over the years from the 1999 Scottish cup run , winning the adl under George greirson when troon were the big spenders that season recently hammering a strong linlithgow rose team in the last 8 of the Scottish and last of all Ian cashmores overhead kick against the Winton fantastic goal from a buffs legion. There's loads I could recall so what's your whether your a buffs can or not let us know. Cheers

3 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

On May 8th Abbey park will host it's last ever game against auckinleck talbot you could not get a better team to give the old ground a proper send off. The buffs have played there for 90 years and have seen many ups and downs it will be a sad end to the old place but we move on and create new history at the new ground.

What's your greatest memories of the place ?

As a fan I have many over the years from the 1999 Scottish cup run , winning the adl under George greirson when troon were the big spenders that season recently hammering a strong linlithgow rose team in the last 8 of the Scottish and last of all Ian cashmores overhead kick against the Winton fantastic goal from a buffs legion. There's loads I could recall so what's your whether your a buffs can or not let us know. Cheers

During the 98/99 season I saw a superb heads-gone from a player with the away side.  His team were getting lashed about 7 or 8-0 (midweek game towards the end of the season, possibly a cup) and one of the Buffs fans was giving him and his team a fair bit of a slagging.  This was right in front of the changing rooms area of the pitch.

Anyways the opposition player was taking a throw in and instead of throwing the ball and carrying on with the game he threw the ball and then proceeded to turn round and start swinging at the Buffs fan.  Red card followed and I think the fan ended up following him into the changing room.

3 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

The slippy sleepers and two seasons in a row when I was asked if I was a concession (cheeky barstewards). mind you was recently asked that at Kilbirnie.

Aye the famous slippy sleepers the talbot fan that slipped on them a few seasons back won't miss them.

Edited by wow-wee

11 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

During the 98/99 season I saw a superb heads-gone from a player with the away side.  His team were getting lashed about 7 or 8-0 (midweek game towards the end of the season, possibly a cup) and one of the Buffs fans was giving him and his team a fair bit of a slagging.  This was right in front of the changing rooms area of the pitch.

Anyways the opposition player was taking a throw in and instead of throwing the ball and carrying on with the game he threw the ball and then proceeded to turn round and start swinging at the Buffs fan.  Red card followed and I think the fan ended up following him into the changing room.

A few years before that buffs and medda games were always very feisty that's before they built the away dugout 

there was always a bit off a get together with players and management.

Edited by wow-wee

3 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Only been there once, can still remember the wee neds outside throwing stones into the area where the Kelty supporters were. :) Great times.

It's not changed different generation of neds....lol 

Edited by wow-wee

Buffs 2,, Dunipace 3 only time I was there super sub Barry Rodger came on at 2,,1 down scored 2 

Was down this season to watch a rotten game after which Talbot won on pens after 0..0 good old ground but change needed good luck in the new place

The guy who used to shout "Tora, tora, tora - attack, attack, attack" was brilliant

And there was an older guy who walked round the pitch with - what is now known as a manbag - a satchel who'd wind up opposition fans.

Liked going to Abbey Park - was always a tough place to go and you always knew Talbot had been in a game after 90 minutes.  Couldn't single out any particular game there though

4 minutes ago, Lord Talbot said:

The guy who used to shout "Tora, tora, tora - attack, attack, attack" was brilliant

And there was an older guy who walked round the pitch with - what is now known as a manbag - a satchel who'd wind up opposition fans.

Liked going to Abbey Park - was always a tough place to go and you always knew Talbot had been in a game after 90 minutes.  Couldn't single out any particular game there though

The guy that shouted attack attack was big moose he was a character died about 10 years ago as for the other person I can't recall anyone who did that .

1 minute ago, wow-wee said:

The guy that shouted attack attack was big moose he was a character died about 10 years ago as for the other person I can't recall anyone who did that .

The older chap looked to me like he was almost pension age back then and I'm going back over 20 years.  He was never malicious just liked annoying opposition fans.  Harmless old guy.

Sorry to hear of the passing of the character "big Moose" - football needs guys like him (and Lochee's 118 fan) 

10 hours ago, wow-wee said:

A few years before that buffs and medda games were always very feisty that's before they built the away dugout 

there was always a bit off a get together with players and management.

A few broken changing room doors as Medda and Buffs players continued discussions regarding their sending offs was not unknown.

Always a great ground for a lively game

The slippy sleepers and two seasons in a row when I was asked if I was a concession (cheeky barstewards). mind you was recently asked that at Kilbirnie.

It is a thing that happens to us people with the distinguished hair colouring mate

My silver highlights are slightly more intense than they once were!!!!

I remember a cup game at Abbey Park (late 1980’s).
I think it was the West.
It was 2-2 going into the closing stages and the then Hurlford keeper (Jack Steel from Larkhall) had been taking pelters from the home fans in the shed behind the goal end. Buffs got a late penalty and big Jack saved it and proceeded to turn and cross himself much to the annoyance of the locals.
The shed emptied onto the pitch and bedlam ensued.

Being from Larkhall Jack was as blue nosed as they came and I may be corrected but I think he later went on to play for the buffs.
All the best at your new place.