How did and would you vote in a second Scottish referendum?

Kejan

Have you changed your mind or not on Scottish independence?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's not a question of politics it's a question of believing in our country.

Could easily have some out the mouth of Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage. Yes can’t hide behind empty platitudes like that - and to be fair, they haven’t really, either in 2014 or now.

Any "you must be this Scottish to get on the ride" chat deserves to be in the bin

As WelshBairn says, it’s only a couple of posters who, by their own admission, would limit the vote purely to folk who write letters to The National newspaper.

3 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
46 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:
Getting it all wrong yet again. Imagine that..

Am I really getting it wrong though. It's fairly clear from the posts I've been reading.

Come along next week to AUOB you will see many people from all different countries happily supporting Scottish Indy as well as promoting their own culture and background. There are a few roasters like Clerkin but they can spend their days arguing with other roasters like McConnichie.

Come along next week to AUOB you will see many people from all different countries happily supporting Scottish Indy as well as promoting their own culture and background. There are a few roasters like Clerkin but they can spend their days arguing with other roasters like McConnichie.
Nah your ok. Too many "roasters" for me out there. I doubt I would ever be comfortable with "nationalism" the whole concept creeps me out. Marches,flags,face painting..

56 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Nah your ok. Too many "roasters" for me out there. I doubt I would ever be comfortable with "nationalism" the whole concept creeps me out. Marches,flags,face painting..

You'll be voting No then when the great day dawns.

How will you feel if Boris is the UK's next PM?

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

In Quebec you have to be a Canadian citizen and lived there for 6 months. In America every US citizen can vote wherever they live and registered, unless you're black.

https://www.electionsquebec.qc.ca/english/municipal/list-of-electors/qualified-voter-at-a-referendum.php

And nobody who isn't an American citizen can vote, even if they've lived there for decades, worked, paid taxes, employ people, married an American citizen and had kids who are American citizens they still can't vote.  

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Not the sort of Scotland I want. If we can’t win the argument without gerrymandering then we’ve lost.

Bullshit, for the vast vast majority of rUK people who move here you can't possibly ever win the argument, they aren't interested in the argument.  It would be absurd if we were to be denied indpendence by these type of people, or students doing a degree here.  

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think the best start this country can have is by deliberately excluding a sizeable minority of the country from voting on account of their heritage.

I didn't suggest stopping them voting in elections, just modifying the criteria for a single referendum.

3 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

I'm getting the feeling "ethnic" nationalism is peeking out from behind the mask of "civic" nationalism on this thread ? Imagine that..

Not a word about the clear ethnic nationalism of the rUK citizens who voted no and will do so again because they're from rUK I notice.  I'm just suggesting voting criteria, which would not be based on ethnic lines but residency ones.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

Bullshit, for the vast vast majority of rUK people who move here you can't possibly ever win the argument, they aren't interested in the argument.  It would be absurd if we were to be denied indpendence by these type of people, or students doing a degree here.  

There will be many people who won't change from No to Yes. Not all will be be people 'who move here' but many who have were convinced by calm and reasoned arguments. Clearly you, like many of us, want independence but you are taking your argument into unnecessary dangerous territory. Just as an aside, two of the most vigorous Yes campaigners I know moved here. One from Devon, one from London.

Just now, The Skelpit Lug said:

There will be many people who won't change from No to Yes. Not all will be be people 'who move here' but many who have were convinced by calm and reasoned arguments. Clearly you, like many of us, want independence but you are taking your argument into unnecessary dangerous territory. Just as an aside, two of the most vigorous Yes campaigners I know moved here. One from Devon, one from London.

Big deal, anecdotal evidence is worthless.  The fact is 85% of rUK voters voted no.  They couldn't possibly all be doing that as they think that is best for Scotland, that is a statistical impossibility.  They're simply practicing naked identity politics.

Not a word about the clear ethnic nationalism of the rUK citizens who voted no and will do so again because they're from rUK I notice.  I'm just suggesting voting criteria, which would not be based on ethnic lines but residency ones.
Whataboutery..

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Big deal, anecdotal evidence is worthless.  The fact is 85% of rUK voters voted no.  They couldn't possibly all be doing that as they think that is best for Scotland, that is a statistical impossibility.  They're simply practicing naked identity politics.

Well that's kinda why I said 'as an aside'.

6 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:
13 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Whataboutery..

Hypocrisy

You'll be voting No then when the great day dawns.
How will you feel if Boris is the UK's next PM?
Pretty disappointed but I just see Nationalism as an out of the frying pan into the fire move. I doubt economically Indy will solve any issues in Scotland. My preferred result will be a Labour led coalition and possibly PR further down the line. I actually doubt a second referendum will produce a YES vote anyway. I think it will be the final nail in the coffin for it for generations. For all the bravado on here I can see no genuine appetite for it. Or at least no more than the last time. For my money Nicola's best move is to ask and hope to be rebuffed purely for the grievance card. If it's granted I can see some rude awakenings again.