Team of the season,

Jamieson

Thomson Little TOB Eckersley

Thomas Reilly Turner Linn

Nesbit McGuigan

Probably being a bit biased, but Jamieson just ahead of McCallum for me, he has won so many points for us this season and is such a huge improvement on Hutton from
last season.

Thomson, little and TOB quite an easy decision, not seen anyone else in the league who I’d have over them and Eckersley has been very good the times he has played against us this season and from the highlights I watch he seems to stand out.

Thomas- has been a real standout for Dumbarton this season and is the main reason why they have stayed in the division, would take him at Arbroath next season.

Reilly- looks a real good player and is good on the ball, seems to control the midfield every time I watch him live or from the highlights.

Turner- has been a major help in Stranraer staying up this season, he has that dig in midfield, can protect the back 4 and do all the dirty work but can also get forward and has chipped in with a few goals this season, we seemed to struggle against Stranraer this season and he’s the main reason why.

Linn- Had an amazing season and will hands down win POTY and deservedly so, he’s won so many games for us this season and has took his game to another level, he’s always had it in his locker but has been so consistent this season compared to previous ones.

Nesbit- Top goal scorer in the league and the only real positive for Raith this season so far, without him god knows where they’d be, scored a few goals against us this season and always seems a threat.

McGuigan- If Stenny stay up this season then he’s been a huge factor in it scoring nearly half of stenny’s goals this season, a huge presence up top and a handful for any defender to deal with, had to put him in there.

McCallum

Thomson

O’Brien

Little

Ballantyne

Thomas

Turner

Reilly

Linn

Nisbet

Hilson

That would be my team. Toss up between McCallum/Long/Jamieson in goals from what I’ve seen. The other choice was between Hilson/Baird and McGuigan. The rest of the team is pretty straight forward.

Armstrong wasn’t with us long enough to justify a place. His form began to drop his last few appearances as well. Terrific first 7 games though.

Nisbet is the only Raith player who deserves a place and he has to be in. Can’t believe some people have left him out. He’s scored almost double the amount of the next highest scoring striker in the league and his all round game is very good for this level. Hate to think where we’d be without him.

Obviously these teams are always picked with the views of other supporters factored in rather than solely on performances that I’ve seen. Joao Vitoria has probably been the best opposition player against the Rovers this season. Caused us all sorts of bother at Airdrie and Stranraer. However, judging by the fact he was loaned out by Airdrie I’m assuming he’s not near that standard every week. 

Edited by R.R.FC

GK - Jamieson (Arbroath) - best keeper won the best team in the league a lot of points

RB - Thomson (Arbroath) - unit going forward and defensively

CH - Little (Arbroath) - marshalled the best defence in the league

CH - ToB (Arbroath) - best defensive player in the league

LB - Ballantyne (Dumbarton)

LM - Linn (Arbroath) - best player in the league

CM - Kyle Turner (Stranraer)

CM - Scott Agnew (East Fife)

RM - Dom Thomas (Dumbarton)

ST - Kevin Nisbet (Raith) - best striker in league

ST - Mark McGuigan (Stenhousemuir) - second best striker in league

Some might think that's biased but I don't. Keeper, 3 defenders and Linn have been absolutely superb.

Notable mentions for Hilson, Baird and Vitoria

13 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

CM - Thomas Reilly (Forfar Athletic) - My boy. I described him as the Lower League Cesc Fabregas, only for P&B's very own Francesc Fabregas to describe him as full fat mayonnaise on national television. Comfortably my favourite player in the division to watch, a gorgeous passer who has totally dominated all three games he's played against us. His 10/10 pinged pass against us went a wee bit viral on my Twitter, and since then he's followed me and liked a load of my tweets. I think I love him a wee bit tbh.

Do you have a link to this pinged pass, had a quick look for it but couldn't find it?

Have to say I'm a bit of a connoisseur of a good driven pass. 

Spoiler

Irrelevant to this thread so ive hidden it away in is own wee box.  

In the 90's I was at a St Johnstone v Celtic game at McDiarmid and the ball was dropping from way out the sky and Danny Griffin caught it on the volley and zinged a beautiful pass along the ground to a teammate. I remember very little else about that game, including the score.  My Dad couldn't make that match and later on I was trying to describe it to him, and he said they'd been raving about it on the radio. So I eagerly sat watching the highlights on sportscene that evening waiting for the greatest moment of individual skill in the match.. and they didn't even show it!

I met Danny a couple of years later at a party and was chatting to him, and mentioned the pass. He just smiled. He knew exactly what I was talking about.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Do you have a link to this pinged pass, had a quick look for it but couldn't find it?

Have to say I'm a bit of a connoisseur of a good driven pass. 

Reveal hidden contents

Irrelevant to this thread so ive hidden it away in is own wee box.  

In the 90's I was at a St Johnstone v Celtic game at McDiarmid and the ball was dropping from way out the sky and Danny Griffin caught it on the volley and zinged a beautiful pass along the ground to a teammate. I remember very little else about that game, including the score.  My Dad couldn't make that match and later on I was trying to describe it to him, and he said they'd been raving about it on the radio. So I eagerly sat watching the highlights on sportscene that evening waiting for the greatest moment of individual skill in the match.. and they didn't even show it!

I met Danny a couple of years later at a party and was chatting to him, and mentioned the pass. He just smiled. He knew exactly what I was talking about.

Of course I do, I keep a link to it in my favourites :wub:

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Of course I do, I keep a link to it in my favourites :wub:

Cheers for that, his nonchalance playing the pass makes it even sweeter; and well highlighted, as wee moments of skill like that are often overlooked in games if they don't lead to chances or goals.

Take these with a pinch of salt at times but good to see Kyle Turner getting mentioned in dispatches,I've been banging the drum about KT for the past 3 seasons and I'm resigned to the fact he'll move on the during the summer,if he follows in the footsteps of his old man Tommy,the kid is going to have a great career.Just don't get Hilson in these teams,I've watched Stranraer 4 times against Forfar this season and Baird makes Forfar tick,to be honest Hilson has been poor against us this season and couldn't possibly have him in front of Baird,but all about opinions I suppose.

20 hours ago, Hammerafc said:
21 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:
To save me typing out too much and largely based on our games against the others, I would have agreed with your choices but would move Hilson to wide right and bring in Wallace beside Thomas.  The subs would be : Jason Thomson/McCallum/John Baird/Antoniazzi/Eckersley/Agnew if fit/Vaughan if fit. No loan players!" No surprise that no Airdrie players feature and maybe a surprise that players from bottom five feature? 

Harsh on Nisbet not even on the bench. Surely he would be in the starting 11?

It was late at night as I pondered it and whilst he did score in that 3-4 game and the recent one , I had forgotten about his impact for Raith. I would gladly agree that he should replace Vaughan on the bench.  I could also see him replace Wallace maybe in a starting 11. Funny how he has managed to thrive at Raith when many others did not rate him at his previous clubs-well done to him

25 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was late at night as I pondered it and whilst he did score in that 3-4 game and the recent one , I had forgotten about his impact for Raith. I would gladly agree that he should replace Vaughan on the bench.  I could also see him replace Wallace maybe in a starting 11. Funny how he has managed to thrive at Raith when many others did not rate him at his previous clubs-well done to him

It's not uncommon for forwards to thrive at this level. I've probably said a dozen times this season, but you can rattle off a list of nearly a dozen forwards who have scored 20+ goals at this level, but struggled at other levels before coming down. Nisbet, Vaughan, Lawrence Shankland, Craig Moore, Michael Moffat, El-Bakhtaoui, Andy Ryan, Liam Buchanan, Greig Spence, Declan McManus off the top of my head have all got a good number of goals at this level. Only Shankland has been the one who has been on an upward trajectory.  That's not including Bobby Linn who we've still to see at second tier level. 

It's not uncommon for forwards to thrive at this level. I've probably said a dozen times this season, but you can rattle off a list of nearly a dozen forwards who have scored 20+ goals at this level, but struggled at other levels before coming down. Nisbet, Vaughan, Lawrence Shankland, Craig Moore, Michael Moffat, El-Bakhtaoui, Andy Ryan, Liam Buchanan, Greig Spence, Declan McManus off the top of my head have all got a good number of goals at this level. Only Shankland has been the one who has been on an upward trajectory.  That's not including Bobby Linn who we've still to see at second tier level. 

Remember bobby isn't even a forward.

Bobby will do well in the league above if he gets back to the level of fitness he was at through this season but he obviously won't do as well as he has this season. Bobby on his day even when he wasn't as fit and sharp as he's been this season has given bigger clubs the run about in cup games we've played so hopefully he can have a good season next year. He needs help on the other wing though we are too reliant on him at times and have been for years. Denholm last season was really good and managed to score double figures too but not been near that this season. Really need to strengthen there.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Agree with much of your analysis. We had Liam Buchanan( an unfit one) as a trialist after he had fallen out of favour and we never saw the one the other teams had  or went on to( especially Livingstone). Andy Ryan had a bad injury at Hamilton and whilst he was tremendous for us he has had a hard time doing it at Dumfermline, tho he has also had injuries.  Goals are hard to come by in the championship unless you are Steven Dobbie! ( and QOS are still in trouble) Looking forward to seeing Bobby Linn on Saturday if he plays

Agree with much of your analysis. We had Liam Buchanan( an unfit one) as a trialist after he had fallen out of favour and we never saw the one the other teams had  or went on to( especially Livingstone). Andy Ryan had a bad injury at Hamilton and whilst he was tremendous for us he has had a hard time doing it at Dumfermline, tho he has also had injuries.  Goals are hard to come by in the championship unless you are Steven Dobbie! ( and QOS are still in trouble) Looking forward to seeing Bobby Linn on Saturday if he plays

Bobby has been injured the past 3 games and will miss the rest of the season

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Bobby has been injured the past 3 games and will miss the rest of the season

That's a pity for him and genuine football fans who admire skill and tenacity. If it means we have a chance of taking a point on Saturday then I am delighted. Looks like a wet day to complete a dreich season  at home for us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2019 at 19:29, Broken Algorithms said:

The thing that sets Shankland apart from the rest after a high scoring season is that he gained promotion and then stayed with the same club the next season and took that confidence with him. Too many players leave the next season and break momentum. Ryan moved to us and couldn't get a start ahead of Clark. El Bak took too big a jump and looks to have ruined his career. McManus went to Fleetwood and couldn't get game time. Moffat moved to us and we ended up finishing 7th in league one in a disaster season. In some cases like Moore and Vaughan, injuries have been the problem.