Team of the season,

Gonna be a bit biased probably.....

McCallum

Thomson  Little ToB  Ballantye 

Linn Forbes Swankie Thomas

Nesbit  McGuigan 

Jamieson just edged out by McCallum who always does well against us, 

Eckersley also very impressive,  

Swankie makes it just, had a great season but was quiet last few weeks of season, 

8 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

McCallum

Nesbit  McGuigan 

Swankie makes it just, had a great season but was quiet last few weeks of season, 

We all dream of a team of Johnny Smart's.

My Team of the Season is based on watching games in the flesh and online:

- Dale Hilson - Dom Thomas -

- Bobby Linn - Thomas Reilly - Kyle Turner - [X]

- Cammy Ballantyne - Tom O'Brien - Ricky Little - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

I couldn't think of anyone to play wide right; any suggestions would be welcomed.

- Darren Jamieson -

I couldn't think of anyone to play wide right; any suggestions would be welcomed.
Stick Bobby Linn to the right and get Dylan Easton on the left.

PS. I hope your gushing over The Loons features on this week's View From the Terrace. Easily the best football programme on the telly

Guest bernardblack
                 McCallum
      Nesbit  McGuigan 

Swankie? [emoji23]

Guest bernardblack

To be fair, perhaps I shouldn’t judge a player I’ve only seen a handful of times.

Plus I’d vote for Reilly in there

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Darren Jamieson -

To save me typing out too much and largely based on our games against the others, I would have agreed with your choices but would move Hilson to wide right and bring in Wallace beside Thomas.  The subs would be : Jason Thomson/McCallum/John Baird/Antoniazzi/Eckersley/Agnew if fit/Vaughan if fit. No loan players!" No surprise that no Airdrie players feature and maybe a surprise that players from bottom five feature? 

I've been thinking about this loads over the past few weeks, and this is what I think I'd go with.

GK - Mark McCallum (Forfar Athletic) - There are two types of goalkeepers as far as I'm concerned. Some look all dramatic and pull off mad saves that leave you really impressed, and others just look comfortable, in control and as if they aren't going to make a mistake. Mark McCallum comes into the latter category. He's commanding, reliable and always looks as if he knows exactly what he's doing. The standard of goalkeeping in this league isn't fantastic imo, but McCallum really stands out as a class above.

RB - Cammy Ballantyne (Dumbarton) - I know, I know, he's been playing at left-back for the past few months, but there isn't a right-back I'd have over Cammy Ballantyne who will have a massive future in the game. Any defender who doesn't give Bobby Linn a sniff deserves a place in this team, and Cammy lead to him being substituted back in October at Gayfield! He's got everything you want from a modern day full-back: He's excellent defensively, excellent going forward, tenacious, smart, reads the danger well and is great at winning cheap fouls. It's very easy to forget that this is his first season at this level, and whoever he ends up playing for next season will be very lucky indeed. 

LB - Andrew Steeves (Montrose) - I'm going to be honest, before this season I had absolutely no idea who Andrew Steeves was. I'd probably have said he played for Montrose, but that aside I couldn't have picked him out in a group of two. He's looked a really good player against us this season though. Akin to Ballantyne he's been a threat going forward everytime we've played Montrose, and his defensive game looks solid too. Montrose have had a smashing season, although their record against us has been poor, so I might not even have seen him at his best. Or maybe he's rubbish every week and only good against us - who knows.

CB - Ricky Little (Arbroath) - I remember watching Ricky Little ping in a screamer for Queen's Park against Stranraer years ago, and thinking he looked a player. Since then I've always kept an eye out for him, and what a player he's become. There really aren't too many part-time centre-halves in the lower leagues who are any better imo - and I'd fancy him to take the step up to the Championship in his stride. I'm pleased for him too. He seems like a good egg.

CB - Thomas O'Brien (Arbroath) - Is there a better defensive partnership in the lower leagues than Little and TOB? I'm not sure there is. In fact they might just be one of the best in the SPFL era. Without them I seriously doubt Arbroath would have strolled to the title (I mean they'd still have won it because Raith Rovers are garbage) but anyone who doesn't pick the two of them is a massive weirdo.

CM - Thomas Reilly (Forfar Athletic) - My boy. I described him as the Lower League Cesc Fabregas, only for P&B's very own Francesc Fabregas to describe him as full fat mayonnaise on national television. Comfortably my favourite player in the division to watch, a gorgeous passer who has totally dominated all three games he's played against us. His 10/10 pinged pass against us went a wee bit viral on my Twitter, and since then he's followed me and liked a load of my tweets. I think I love him a wee bit tbh.

CM - Kyle Turner (Stranraer) - If Reilly is full of classy passing, strolling games and all that stuff then Kyle Turner is almost the opposite. He's an old-fashioned all-action centre-mid, crashing into tackles, buzzing about being a danger and scoring the odd excellent goal after driving from midfield. Only Stranraer fans will know for sure how big a loss he'll be, but to an outsider it looks an impossible task to replace him. When you're down the wrong end of the table individual players can be the difference - and I'm not really sure how Stranraer will cope without him.

RW - Daniel Armstrong (Raith Rovers) - Much like FF above, I struggled a wee bit for wingers - so I'm going to give the starting position to a guy who left in January. Daniel Armstrong absolutely tormented Willie Dyer as Raith battered Dumbarton 4-2 at Stark's Park in December. He looked a real level above everyone else on the pitch, and I wasn't surprised at all to see him getting a move to Ross County when his contract expired. 

LW - Bobby Linn (Arbroath) - Does anybody want to put forward a team without Bobby Linn in it? What a season he's had. Barrowloads of goals and three (!) hat-tricks for the runaway title winners. Can he replicate it at 34 in the Championship? I'm not sure, but that's not something he needs to think about now. A special player who has had a really special season.

ST - Dom Thomas (Dumbarton) - Is Dom Thomas the greatest Dumbarton player of all time? I think he might be. In all seriousness though #DT23 is a special talent, and we have been extremely lucky to have him. 14 goals and 10 assists in 24 is a remarkable return for a man who had scored just seven goals before he pitched up in G82. It's not just the number of goals he's scored though, a genuinely high number have been Goal of the Season material - and what he's done to East Fife this season has been downright inhumane. Jim Duffy's decision to turn him into a striker rather than a winger might just be the thing that allows him to show his obvious talent at a higher level.

ST - Kevin Nisbet (Raith Rovers) - To paraphrase Nigel Farage: Oh how we laughed when Raith Rovers signed Kevin Nisbet. Well let me tell you, we aren't laughing any more. I thought he looked a decent player with us last season, but commented a few times that he was 'never a striker' and 'would be a very decent central-midfielder'. Well it would appear that I have no idea what I'm talking about. He's scoring striker's goals where the ball bounces off him, he's scoring belters and (at the weekend certainly) he's now added a screaming free-kick to his game. I'm very pleased for him too, he seemed like a nice big guy when he was with us. Good on him.

Off the top of my head, honorable mentions for Graeme Smith (Stenhousemuir), Darren Whyte (Forfar Athletic), Jason Thomson (Arbroath), Mark Hill (ex Forfar Athletic) and Mark McGuigan (Stenhousemuir). If they had played more than a handful of games between them then Regan Hendry and Lewis Vaughan would obviously be in there as well. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Darren Jamieson -

Thanks to "Ross Forbes"'s list, I'll go with Daniel Armstrong on the right. He was brilliant at Raith Rovers - I couldn't quite understand how he somehow wound up in Kirkcaldy.

- Bobby Linn - Thomas Reilly - Kyle Turner - Daniel Armstrong -

- Darren Jamieson -

What a team! What a bunch of legends!

8 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

CM - Thomas Reilly (Forfar Athletic) - My boy. I described him as the Lower League Cesc Fabregas, only for P&B's very own Francesc Fabregas to describe him as full fat mayonnaise on national television. Comfortably my favourite player in the division to watch, a gorgeous passer who has totally dominated all three games he's played against us. His 10/10 pinged pass against us went a wee bit viral on my Twitter, and since then he's followed me and liked a load of my tweets. I think I love him a wee bit tbh.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Thomas Reilly - the best word to describe him is "classy". Just a lovely player to watch.

I managed to get that bottle of burger sauce to him on Saturday, via the Forfar Athletic kitman, as it happens. I hope he a) puts it in a glass case on his mantelpiece or b) uses it quickly, because its sell-by date is in July and I was not keeping it refrigerated.

To save me typing out too much and largely based on our games against the others, I would have agreed with your choices but would move Hilson to wide right and bring in Wallace beside Thomas.  The subs would be : Jason Thomson/McCallum/John Baird/Antoniazzi/Eckersley/Agnew if fit/Vaughan if fit. No loan players!" No surprise that no Airdrie players feature and maybe a surprise that players from bottom five feature? 
Harsh on Nisbet not even on the bench. Surely he would be in the starting 11?

4 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
20 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Harsh on Nisbet not even on the bench. Surely he would be in the starting 11?

There's not many Rovers players who deserve a mention in the best XI but Nisbet has to be in every time. I think it's 27 league goals and 31 in total. We'd be scrapping about with the likes of Dumbarton and Airdrie if we didn't have him.

17 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about Thomas Reilly - the best word to describe him is "classy". Just a lovely player to watch.

I managed to get that bottle of burger sauce to him on Saturday, via the Forfar Athletic kitman, as it happens. I hope he a) puts it in a glass case on his mantelpiece or b) uses it quickly, because its sell-by date is in July and I was not keeping it refrigerated.

If he's not playing on Saturday due to a stomach upset you'll be in big trouble.

13 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

You're spot on. He's the footballing equivalent of a night at the opera.

I was actually going to ask you about that the other day when we were discussing him, but it slipped my mind and I didn't want to just fire into your DMs asking if he got it out of the blue. I'm delighted he's in possession of it now, and I'm sure he'll treasure it. It would look great in a lit up glass cabinet imo.

Jamieson

Hamilton    O'Brien               Whyte                   Meechan

Linn            Turner                     Reilly                Armstrong

Nisbet             Hilson

I was heavily tilting towards having an all Arbroath defence given how consistent they've been. Whyte has impressed me in the games I've seen him in for Forfar. Turner in midfield will be off to bigger and better things in the summer. Hilson has scored for fun against us all season. Aside from that it's the usual suspects. Linn and Nisbet both have had incredible seasons, and I'd expect Linn to deservedly take the POTY for the division. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms