Edinburgh Tourist Tax Survey

ScottyT87

Hi,
I am an HND Travel & Tourism student and for my graded unit I am researching the proposed Edinburgh tourist tax.
I would really appreciate if Edinburgh residents or anyone with an interest holidaying in Edinburgh/the proposed tax could take a few minutes to complete my survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5KGZQHV
Cheers
Scott
Done

GL with the rest of em

1 hour ago, ScottyT87 said:

Hi,

I am an HND Travel & Tourism student and for my graded unit I am researching the proposed Edinburgh tourist tax.

I would really appreciate if Edinburgh residents or anyone with an interest holidaying in Edinburgh/the proposed tax could take a few minutes to complete my survey.

Cheers

Scott

I filled it in too! all the best to you!

4 hours ago, ScottyT87 said:

Hi,

Cheers

Scott

Done. I'm sure we've all paid the tourist tax in other cities without thinking twice about it.

Did it. Hope we do it in the Highlands too, the North 500 route could do with a bit of pot hole fixing, never mind Inverness itself. Don't see why tourists shouldn't pay a small contribution towards the facilities they enjoy at the expense of local Council Tax payers, amongst others.

Edited by welshbairn

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Did it. Hope we do it in the Highlands too, the North 500 route could do with a bit of pot hole fixing, never mind Inverness itself. Don't see why tourists shouldn't pay a small contribution towards the facilities they enjoy at the expense of local Council Tax payers, amongst others.

Bit of a public toilet crisis stooshie brewing there, a tourist tax could pay for that. Would probably help to have a wee charge on motorhomes too.

For years I have advocated  this for the Highlands, unfortunately at Highland Council level there has been no replies to my proposal though Maxine Smith has stated in the media she is all for it, some years back Fergus Ewing replied and said he was in favour but that informal research revealed that the majority of Hoteliers and B & B owners were very much against it as they viewed it as more tax raising by them with no return.

In my travels I have paid additional local taxes on my hotel bills in nearly every country I have visited, the worse being in the USA where in some states there has been  additional taxes above the normal hotel tax, local hotel tax and then a state sales tax on your bill, plus it will vary from state to state.

Another bugbear is that foreign visitors can claim back UK VAT they have paid during the course of their visit at their departure airport, some countries such as Singapore also reimburse VAT to foreign visitors on purchases over a certain amount.

America does not refund sales tax to foreign visitors, yet all American visitors claim theirs back on departure from the UK.

Edited by SandyCromarty

Inverness after Edinburgh is a must visit for most foreign tourists mainly due to the Loch Ness Monstor legend and all hotels are full in the peak months, as reported in the local press some charging exorbitant money, one was charging £420.00 per night last year

Many of these stay in chain hotels or shop in the likes of M & S, Debenehams and other nationally owned shops and establishments, obviously this means that all profits from these head south to their owners, admittedly they pay rates and wages to local employees but in the case of hotels they tend to employ a lot of students on minimum wage in the peak months plus we all know that B & B owners take their cash money off to warmer climes in January.

So a lodging tourist tax would stay in the area and benefit the local economy.