Canadian Premier League

senorsoupe

We have our own football league you guys!  

The first season of the 7 team Canadian Premier League starts this weekend with the titanic 905 derby between York 9 from the Toronto area and Forge FC from Hamilton.  If I am honest I am not convinced the quality will be all that high given that Marcus Haber was a "marquee" signing and one of Forge's players is Luca Gasparotto but I am glad that we have a league, hopefully it doesn't become a disorganized mess like the various other Canadian leagues have been.  

Of Interest to Scottish fans, this league may slow the number of mediocre Canadian players heading to the Scottish Championship and may result in some of the mediocre players already there to return home.  

27 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Where can we watch it? 

The CBC will carry 20 games throughout the season, they will stream at least 10 but you may need a VPN to be able to watch them outside of Canada.  There is also supposed to be a streaming service called OneSoccer for the rest of the games although the site seems to have very little information  https://onesoccer.ca/

Here is the list of games being streamed by CBC https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canadian-premier-league-streaming-1.5103261

Edited by senorsoupe

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

This reeks of desperation trying to justify the ticket price.

Ach, we'll chuck in a jersey as well.

Possibly,  accurate info on ticket sales has been lacking for the time being, really hope that they are going well.  One of the biggest problems with any sort of cross Canada league is geography and travel costs.  Canada is really really big so it's a lot of money to be flying teams all across the country, it's why any previous attempts at a Canadian League have ended up being mostly teams from Southern Ontario

1 minute ago, Kris. said:

What's that, about a tenner a game? Not too bad IMO. Shirt cost is mental, though.

A little less than that 240 CAD is about 140 pounds so that works out to a little more than 9 quid per game for a season ticket holder.  

14 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

A little less than that 240 CAD is about 140 pounds so that works out to a little more than 9 quid per game for a season ticket holder.  

Not too bad that. A lassie I work with is from just outside Hamilton, hence my interest in the league (and Forge in particular). Sure I read a wee while back they were looking at having about 5 or 6 thousand season ticket holders which would be a great start. Really hope it's a success tbh.

15 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Premier_League

Hmm, doesn't sound as if it's going to be around too long . Too many player restrictions and too small a set up for the size of the place are the first impressions tbh. Let's see what happens.

The fact that they will have games on CBC will be a big plus, the extra exposure hopefully will increase interest.  

11 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The fact that they will have games on CBC will be a big plus, the extra exposure hopefully will increase interest.  

Are the clubs funding it themselves or is there a major subsidy from such as a sponsor? Flying a couple of thousand miles for games in stadia with 6k capacities surely can't work even medium term. 

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Are the clubs funding it themselves or is there a major subsidy from such as a sponsor? Flying a couple of thousand miles for games in stadia with 6k capacities surely can't work even medium term. 

Not sure exactly what the funding model is but there is sponsorship and I think there are subsidies for travel costs but I don't know for sure