Billy McNeill RIP

As an after dinner speaker, I remember him telling a funny, self-deprecating, story about how, on holiday, his wife used to wear his European Cup medal on a pendant round her neck. The woman on the next sunbed asked what she had on the pendant , so Mrs McNeil regaled her with the full story - My husband is a footballer for a very good team - Celtic, you might have heard of them. They won the European Cup in 1967. You have to win your national league to qualify for the EC. It's the the best thing you can win at club football, etc etc etc. The woman listened politely. That night at dinner in the hotel they were sat next to and introduced to the woman and her husband - Arie Haan, winner of three European Cup medals !

Set of earrings and a pendant for Mrs Haan.

Nice story thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

As an after dinner speaker, I remember him telling a funny, self-deprecating, story about how, on holiday, his wife used to wear his European Cup medal on a pendant round her neck. The woman on the next sunbed asked what she had on the pendant , so Mrs McNeil regaled her with the full story - My husband is a footballer for a very good team - Celtic, you might have heard of them. They won the European Cup in 1967. You have to win your national league to qualify for the EC. It's the the best thing you can win at club football, etc etc etc. The woman listened politely. That night at dinner in the hotel they were sat next to and introduced to the woman and her husband - Arie Haan, winner of three European Cup medals !

Good story and the hat tipped to Mrs Haan for being so polite and not putting Mrs McNeil down with a retort about her hubby's haul. 

6 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Reminds me of a story about John Hughes.  Yogi is on a cruise of the Mediterranean with his wife, which included a stop in Barcelona.   They get chatting to a young English couple and between the men the conversation turns to football.  

English lad - "are you a football fan?" 

Yogi - "oh aye, big football fan" 

English lad - "you'd have done the Nou Camp stadium tour then?" 

Yogi - "no, didn't bother with it" 

English lad - "what? You didn't visit the stadium?" 

Yogi - "Well, in my defence son, you don't really need a stadium tour if you've scored there". 

15 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Reminds me of a story about John Hughes.  Yogi is on a cruise of the Mediterranean with his wife, which included a stop in Barcelona.   They get chatting to a young English couple and between the men the conversation turns to football.  

English lad - "are you a football fan?" 

Yogi - "oh aye, big football fan" 

English lad - "you'd have done the Nou Camp stadium tour then?" 

Yogi - "no, didn't bother with it" 

English lad - "what? You didn't visit the stadium?" 

Yogi - "Well, in my defence son, you don't really need a stadium tour if you've scored there". 

For a moment there......

Spoiler

Image result for john hughes football

Guest JTS98

A really classy fella and lived the dream.

Was lucky enough to meet him twice. Once as a kid on a tour of Parkhead with my football team and another time at a social event as an adult. A very nice man.

A great example in the world of preening footballers of a guy who hit the very top of his sport but remained a gentleman and will always be remembered as one of the good guys.

On 24/04/2019 at 13:25, Pet Jeden said:

Great story cheers.

2 hours ago, Daydream said:

Stop stinking up the thread with this pedantic shite. No one cares. Except you. And you made of a c**t of the Cesar thing!!

I think a lot of people care, Wetdream. Especially in a thread dedicated to the man's memory.