Billy McNeill RIP

Guest Bob Mahelp
50 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Didn't realise how much success he had in management. 

Had one season with Aberdeen and took a struggling team to 2nd in the league and to the Scottish cup final.

He also signed Stevie Archibald, Gordon Strachan, Neil Simpson and (I think) Jim Leighton, and gave Alex McLeish his competitive debut. It was his team that was the foundation that Fergie could build on.

On top of that...and despite being inevitably associated with one of our rivals.....he was enormously popular with Aberdeen fans.

He also has the highest winning percentage of any Aberdeen manager.

Not a bad legacy for 11 months at Pittodrie.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Very sad to hear this, but maybe a blessing as it must be horrible having that damned disease.  Always came across as a real gentleman.

i know it's pedantic, but Celtic's twitter and many others have spelled Caesar incorrectly. Some Celtic fans even get his surname wrong. 

Coming from the southside of Glasgow I knew lots of people who interacted one way or another with big Billy. Not one ever had anything but the best things to say about him.

It's appropriate that he features in the most iconic photograph in Scottish club football history. No better example of a Scottish captain.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is how well he did in his second stint managing Celtic. In the summer he lost Mo Johnston, McClair, McInally and Murdo McLeod. McGrain's legs had gone and Tommy Burns' were going. He built a team on a 5-3-2, brining in McAvennie, Walker, Stark, Joe Miller, Chris Morris, Mick McCarthy and others, and was instantly successful, beating a very good Rangers side to a dominant double in their centenary year. Who knows how things would have gone in later seasons if he hadn't been outspent by Rangers.

A football man to his fingertips, an inspiration and a true legend of sport in this country. 

1 hour ago, Owsley said:

Very sad to hear this, but maybe a blessing as it must be horrible having that damned disease.  Always came across as a real gentleman.

i know it's pedantic, but Celtic's twitter and many others have spelled Caesar incorrectly. Some Celtic fans even get his surname wrong. 

The nickname Cesar apparently came from the fact that he drove a car similar to that driven by the actor Cesar Romero ( the 1960s Joker in Batman) in the film Oceans 11 rather than anything to do with Julius Caesar

Had always thought similarly to yourself before reading that earlier!

2 minutes ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

The nickname Cesar apparently came from the fact that he drove a car similar to that driven by the actor Cesar Romero ( the 1960s Joker in Batman) in the film Oceans 11 rather than anything to do with Julius Caesar

Had always thought similarly to yourself before reading that earlier!

News to me - hopefully it's true!