Closest Grounds

invergowrie arab

I'm sure this has been done before but I couldn't find it. What would be the top 10 closest grounds in Scotland? The criteria being grounds identifiale as being the home of a particular  club in the junior/senior game eg no ground shares and no public parks.

The 100 odd metres between Dundee and United would take some beating.  Dundee Violet and Lochee Harp were separated by a mere 440m but Harp's ground has been bulldozed and they new ground is likely to be a full 600m from Glenesk Park.

Violet and Harp are both under a km from Dundee North End but I would think there would be a few under the km

6 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Hampden and Lesser Hampden 

Whose ground is lesser Hampden?

Never mind, just looked it up that QP are going to play there now, is that in place yet. Either way it doesn't count

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Shielfied and old shielfied (tweedmouth use it) would surely count?

Yes

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Denmore Park (Hall Russell Utd) and Lochside Park (Hermes) in the North Juniors must be less than 100m apart on Denmore Road.

Yes

1 hour ago, RGV said:

Turriff United and Turriff Thistle. Although Thistle's isn't really a ground, just the pitch next to United's ground.

No

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Shielfied and old shielfied (tweedmouth use it) would surely count?

They must be the closest, they share a boundary: the back wall behind the Ducket side of Shielfield is the back wall behind the west banking end of Old Shielfield.

Pitches must 60 yards apart.

image1.jpg

berwick-picture-large.jpg

IMG_20170415_152205.jpg

tweedmouth10.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

42 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They must be the closest, they share a boundary: the back wall behind the Ducket side of Shielfield is the back wall behind the west banking end of Old Shielfield.

Pitches must 60 yards apart.

IMG_20170415_152205.jpg

That was going to be my shout. Until Tweedmouth's pavilion is built, that portacabin at the back of the terracing is their toilets, and the brown shed on the right holds the changing rooms.

Another candidate could be Inverurie Locos and Colony Park:

Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 23.42.33.png

Aberdeen Junior club East End play at a ground that backs onto the Aberdeen Sports Village pitch (formerly Linksfield)- there's another Aberdeen Junior team play there but I can't remember who. 

Probably doesn't count as it's all part of the one sports complex but Edinburgh University's pitch is very close to the pitch Leith Athletic are currently using:

dunleith10.thumb.jpg.5dc763caae27bc0de53dc73ae38fc0c5.jpg

The wooden fence in the background is the boundary of Edinburgh University's ground. 

21 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Aberdeen Junior club East End play at a ground that backs onto the Aberdeen Sports Village pitch (formerly Linksfield)- there's another Aberdeen Junior team play there but I can't remember who. 

Probably doesn't count as it's all part of the one sports complex but Edinburgh University's pitch is very close to the pitch Leith Athletic are currently using:

dunleith10.thumb.jpg.5dc763caae27bc0de53dc73ae38fc0c5.jpg

The wooden fence in the background is the boundary of Edinburgh University's ground. 

Think it's Bridge of Don Thistle who play at the Chris Anderson - yeah, that's a contender. Hermes and Hall Russell Utd are also very close clubs in Aberdeen, though not as close as these two.

I don't see why Edinburgh Uni and Leith Athletic wouldn't count, but their pitches aren't as close as some of the others here. 

Screenshot 2019-04-23 at 00.40.23.png

Dundee also had another 2 close junior grounds. East End Park home of now defunct Stobswell FC and down Old Craigie Road and just past the allotments, Craigie Park, home of East Craigie and currently being shared by Broughty Athletic. Long gone junior sides Osborne and Elmwood ground shared East End Park at times with Elmwood also using Craigie Park. This pic is from Apple maps but looking at Google maps it looks like East End Park is about to be or possibly is an extension of the Eastern Necropolis.
IMG_0764.jpg