Saints vs Saintees 27/4/19

Massive game on Saturday for us - not so much for the Saintees whose season is more or less over bar the shouting.

Already nervous as St. Johnstone have absolutely had our number for a long while in head to heads. We probably could have had something from our last 2 games against them but for a 91st minute winner the last time we hosted them, followed by blowing the penalty in Perth.

A home win here, coupled with a Dundee defeat at Fir Park will see the Dees consigned to their fate - so hopefully there is no real pressing issue for St. Johnstone to go at us with any sort of intensity.

We should expect a pretty sizeable home crowd again, the fans have been the shining star of late.

Anything out of this game that pulls us closer to Hamilton would be greatly appreciated.

5cbe046105304_giphy(10).gif.70d1af74f6ad99460a553d415c27b833.gif

A loss more than likely confirms Dundee as being doon, and they'll accuse us of "lying down" for the next five years afterwards.

St Mirren win pls, Alan Main to chuck a couple in.

A win and a clean sheet completes the diddy double for us - 8 wins against the current bottom two with zero goals conceded. 

I cant see that happening though. St Mirren looked a much tougher prospect at McDiarmid Park last time round. They created nothing after the penalty but they worked hard for each other and can see them winning this game now that they’re within striking distance of Accies and have moved away from the immediate drop zone. 

We’ll probably line up with a similar 11 as Saturday past, with Kerr potentially coming in. I hope he replaces Shaughnessy but it’ll probably end up being Gordon who gets dropped again. 

Given what’s at stake, home win. 

After the first round of the split going our way on Saturday, another win here would be hugely welcomed. Can see it being another close game similar to the last 2 against the Perth Saints. Having watched the highlights of their game with Dundee at the weekend,  it doesn't look like they've downed tools just yet.

In all seriousness, swap Shaughnessy out for Kerr, and maybe drop Kane for a midfielder, and we're good to go.

Might aswell experiment a little to test out Gordon/Callachan/Hendry to see how they cope in certain set ups.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Already nervous as St. Johnstone have absolutely had our number for a long while in head to heads.

You could say that. St Mirren have won only 4 out of 39 league meetings between the sides in Paisley dating back to 1966.

We've had some very poor results and performances away from home recently though. We'll need to play much better than in the games at Killie, Motherwell, Livingston and Hamilton. 

Hopefully the manager applies a horses for courses approach. He went to Rugby Park with the same side that beat Dundee a few days before and we were comprehensively outplayed. What the right approach is constitutes a difficult question though.  It'll be interesting to see what he does with the centre backs, now Kerr is free from suspension. He might go with a back three to get around that as it matches St Mirren up. 

St Mirren have improved each time we've played them. The first game in Perth could quite possibly have finished 6-0 to Saints but we played very well and despite that, I thought it was clear the players were trying for Kearney but they just lacked a bit of quality. They were very well organised in the Boxing Day game, which should have finished goalless and thought the reaction of their support in Perth last month showed there must be a group there who are putting up a fight, even though the team didn't show much on the night against a poor St Johnstone. 

In contrast, Dundee have looked pretty pea-hearted every time we've played them and their fans on Saturday appeared resigned to their fate. Accies were a shambles in a couple of the fixtures, although much improved last time in fairness. 

Can't see any reason not to go with the same team but drop Joe ... Kerr and Gordon at the back. 

We weren't fantastic on Saturday by any means, but there were flashes of players starting to link up together. Maybe a sign that Tommy's threats of contract losses might have had some effect this time. However I have a suspicion he'll start Swanson. If he does that I would want to see Kennedy in behind Hendry and Kane benched. 

Hoping for a half decent game tbh, should be more of a test than Dundee.

A win and a clean sheet completes the diddy double for us - 8 wins against the current bottom two with zero goals conceded. 
I cant see that happening though. St Mirren looked a much tougher prospect at McDiarmid Park last time round. They created nothing after the penalty but they worked hard for each other and can see them winning this game now that they’re within striking distance of Accies and have moved away from the immediate drop zone. 
We’ll probably line up with a similar 11 as Saturday past, with Kerr potentially coming in. I hope he replaces Shaughnessy but it’ll probably end up being Gordon who gets dropped again. 
Given what’s at stake, home win. 
Remarkable. We absolutely punish the diddies.

On 22/04/2019 at 19:31, Radford said:

You could say that. St Mirren have won only 4 out of 39 league meetings between the sides in Paisley dating back to 1966.

I was going to poo poo this quite clearly made up stat as I have seen more than 4 home wins even since the mid 90s. Should have known better and that you're completely correct though. 

Turns out that yeah, I've seen 5 home wins, one was cup game though and when we beat St. Johnstone at home in 1995 ,it was our first home win in 29 years (though our paths very rarely crossed in the 70s and 80s)

Quite amazing stat really, given the relative overall similarities in terms of league positions between the clubs in the last 53 years. St Johnstone really do have the indian sign over us. 

We have been similarly shite against Hamilton as well in the time I've been attending matches. 

Expect st Mirren will give us a tough game, sounds like they have a lot more fight about them than Dundee, and think them and Accies are in a battle for 10th sadly.

We haven't managed back to back wins since December/ January, and the last away match we won was at Dens 3 days after our Boxing Day win at Paisley.

I think Tommy will go for what Radford suggests, and play three at the back if that's what the buddies have been doing lately. It is the easy solution over the Shaughnessy or Gordon issue.  Should be Gordon, but Tommy loves big Joe and I'd be surprised if he was dropped.  Something along the lines of:

Clark

Kerr Gordon Shaughnessy

Foster                                                    Tanser

Callachan Craig

Kennedy

Kane   Hendry

Or Davidson in midfield ahead of one of the strikers, with Kennedy pushed forward.

1-0 St Johnstone.

Edited by PauloPerth

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

A bit mental the fact that we haven't done the clean sweep over anyone since Morton in 1996-97 (beating them in all 4 games, also without conceding), yet here we are with the chance to complete it on back to back Saturdays.

Expect st Mirren will give us a tough game, sounds like they have a lot more fight about them than Dundee, and think them and Accies are in a battle for 10th sadly.

We haven't managed back to back wins since December/ January, and the last away match we won was at Dens 3 days after our Boxing Day win at Paisley.

I think Tommy will go for what Radford suggests, and play three at the back if that's what the buddies have been doing lately. It is the easy solution over the Shaughnessy or Gordon issue.  Should be Gordon, but Tommy loves big Joe and I'd be surprised if he was dropped.  Something along the lines of:

Clark

Kerr Gordon Shaughnessy

Foster                                                    Tanser

Callachan Craig

Kennedy

Kane   Hendry

Or Davidson in midfield ahead of one of the strikers, with Kennedy pushed forward.

1-0 St Johnstone.

We clean sweeped Hamilton last season did we not? We conceded right enough. 

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We clean sweeped Hamilton last season did we not? We conceded right enough. 

We did. I was talking pish.

22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’ve been a big fan of Kennedy through the middle this season, but would be quite frustrated to see a change of shape meaning he can’t play off the left after his performance this weekend. 

Agree, would also like to see MOH get more game time under his belt.  I was just trying to secondguess what TW will do, as I'd be very surprised if he dropped Joe. Wright obviously rates him higher than Gordon, and is keen to get 7th place, so it seemed to be a solution that Tommy might go for.

Cant see anything other than a win against the plastic Saints our tails are up both on the park and off it also have a large squad to pick from . 

The plastic Saints show how to stay in the top league well run club a chairman with class only let down by the most boring fans in Scotland.

St Mirren 2 St Plastic 1

DipStick is a con should be a plastic Saints fan will never be a true buddie. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Cant see anything other than a win against the plastic Saints our tails are up both on the park and off it also have a large squad to pick from . 

The plastic Saints show how to stay in the top league well run club a chairman with class only let down by the most boring fans in Scotland.

St Mirren 2 St Plastic 1

Your inferiority complex is hilarious but you need to get over it.

15 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

St Mirren 2 St Plastic 1

I'm genuinely trying to decipher this as I'm not sure if it's aimed at me or not. :lol: 

Just as you really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about me lately.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm genuinely trying to decipher this as I'm not sure if it's aimed at me or not. :lol: 

Just as you really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about me lately.

Not me drippy I know a tit fake St Mirren support from a mile off you have that crown.