Motorcycle advice

Was driving along Edinburgh city bypass this afternoon. Both lanes were busy but we were all doing around 50mph. Suddenly a motorbike came racing through the middle of all of us. I reckon he must have been doing at the very least 120mph. Gave me and probably everyone else a hell of a shock. He was going that fast that I didn’t have a chance of focusing on his registration. Utter maniac who probably thinks he is some kind of Ghostrider although there is a good chance that he will be a real ghost very soon.

Probably the OP

2 hours ago, supermik said:

Was driving along Edinburgh city bypass this afternoon. Both lanes were busy but we were all doing around 50mph. Suddenly a motorbike came racing through the middle of all of us. I reckon he must have been doing at the very least 120mph. Gave me and probably everyone else a hell of a shock. He was going that fast that I didn’t have a chance of focusing on his registration. Utter maniac who probably thinks he is some kind of Ghostrider although there is a good chance that he will be a real ghost very soon.

If it was Edinburgh it was probably knicked.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/04/2019 at 12:55, Joe Terrapin said:

Loads of bikes to choose from. I would stay away from the Triumph. my brother had one, not reliable and rot like f**k if not looked after. BMW is nice but expensive for what it is a retro looking posing machine. Get yourself a Honda CB650 or Yamaha MT 07. Both cracking bikes and will do most things you want and have all the gadgets to make your transition into an experienced rider. Then go and get a Ducati Panigale...............

Can't say nothing about Triumph, never seen those. Though I googled it and it definitely looks like crap. Same with Honda CBR600, I have these wheels in my garage. So you say it's either Honda CB650 or Yamaha MT 07, interesting. And you say they have all the gadgets from the start? That's nice because I was so frustrated with my old Honda.

By the way, I decided to change battery there and this page advised me to choose something between NICHE AGM or Yuasa? Which one should I get? I'm planning to ride for a few months and then sell the bike. 

I never had any issues with my CBR600, not a bit of rust on it, it was 16 years old when i traded it in, i miss the speed.
OtGax1dSEMxzApXZmsNGoykpsU6L-LbQFqeVb-dXJmqehzvTR1gHeopz8-MlkJLs6FAljpwI04cvtzu7igEA2wy1czsRNoI4HEigRHFJIhy2PFXyZRRTzht5Dq5wbkgSBZNwaCWykYdA7G34rd1p8AHJwKQXvqbJbt9qjSUb1xKISemzxniRsN4RMQsTYhc6qImXjO9fGP-9gFenQtWmKUhONuyu_D-Zym5JKGj8IlkPUsED0bt4bxbiKRD8SEvPSClzdgNxH3ILgnXvYTYbTc35IQzTlYSRnx1ABl3gB2ayoG5RJ2Q6R0Rpw-ZIY4oM_Xd-sc6n6DjbOsezk0ODYJ_U2GjC-9S7zsTs25O7jJnivSLYiBY1lmxVqW7k7jvX_zeSbhnS1p0RO2lc2nVqmbFozJLDgCWdHfQoWuiXVrhptRbvXerQ2JHh3nJMB8NmQBxaV-UHm63Nf_nntFarsx8ybxY-DQeWjR9wQR3kLeER6D6NA06lS5QpYlF5c4Qup_y7qGs6kaTH5PG1Y8W531bBluYbPeVJWs92dtITkCkqeT5u9ri6Z1s1FWsjVuVHCrIMna5mcohs3dmziXWLtb0vDUfuAcXaBRq2MDviBeXwaKgPtGuSItE1T7jjI1qXWuJd30CmRrN7-7PX02cCFfnIUMIp3y3RkyL12jhKQKs6NWBcZpV_j4w=w1320-h937-no&key=48424c90f21e3e1a7a3b6acfc7d786e3b048c169bb8cdc3cf74c46482fce88b5

Was going directly to the hospital a preemptive measure to save those nice ambulance people the trouble of scraping various bits of you out of the gutter/trees?

Iv just booked my mod 1 , is there a big difference between the 125 and a 5/600(other than the obvious) that I should know before hand as iv never been on a bike bigger than a 125 and I’m told you sit the test on a bike with a power of more than 395..makes me slightly nervous as you can imagine or am I over thinking it?

7 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Iv just booked my mod 1 , is there a big difference between the 125 and a 5/600(other than the obvious) that I should know before hand as iv never been on a bike bigger than a 125 and I’m told you sit the test on a bike with a power of more than 395..makes me slightly nervous as you can imagine or am I over thinking it?

A fair difference. One particular difference is how you are treated by other road users. 125 riders get more hassle from dickhead motorists, in my experience.

also, if you’re a big lad, the 500 will fit you a lot better.

A fair difference. One particular difference is how you are treated by other road users. 125 riders get more hassle from dickhead motorists, in my experience.
also, if you’re a big lad, the 500 will fit you a lot better.

Not particularly a big laddie big enough though, just looking to push on for my big boy bike after being on a 125 for about a 1.5 years any advice is most welcomed

Just now, D TOTAL said:

Not particularly a big laddie big enough though, just looking to push on for my big boy bike after being on a 125 for about a 1.5 years any advice is most welcomed

I'm not a big lad, but I found the 500 a lot more comfortable. You can get out of (and into) trouble a lot easier on a bigger bike. Nevertheless, the basic principles are the same: assume everyone is trying to kill you. Don't stress about the step up!

• 7 months later...

Can anyone in the Glasgow area suggest a decent motorbike repair shop?

VFR750 won’t start. Dodgy connection to relay and even when that’s connected well it’s just clicking. Probably fucked the starter motor due to inactivity too.

If you're just getting a click when you press the button, I'd wager it's likely the battery. How new/old is it? 

You say the bike has been laid up. Was the battery on charge during this time? 

If you're sure you've fixed the dodgy relay connection, I'd be checking the battery first. Do you have a multimeter? If not, jump leads? Maybe try jump starting it. 

Can't help with bike repairs Glasgow way these days. Been years since I was over that way.