Motorcycle advice

I’ve recently got my full licence and I’m looking for opinions on a suitable bike to buy. If you have a motorbike, what is it and how would you rate it?

I grew up riding trials bikes but would be the first to admit being a bit rusty and inexperienced as far as road bikes go.

I’m looking at retro style bikes. It’ll be for short journeys mainly, and used just for pleasure.

From what I’ve read elsewhere, opinions seem split on whether to build up to a big bike or dive in and just get what you want. I really like the R nine t pure, but I know it’s pretty torquey and wonder if a Triumph Bonneville T100 may be a better bet for a couple of years first?

I farted about on a wee suzuki gn 125 for a year, and then passed my big boy test and went straight into a Honda VFR 750. 

Its an older model (91) so doesn’t quite have the zip of a new 750, but the change in power suited me perfectly. I certainly my wouldn’t go bigger than 750 within a few thousand miles of passing my test though.

Passed my test around 3 years ago. Bought a CBR600, seemed to be a good 'first big bike'. Sat in the garage for the most part due to other commitments and a lack of confidence. To be honest I would shit myself anytime I went on it!

Sold it last year and never replaced it. Might go back to biking if circumstances change but in no rush to so. Glad I got it out my system though

I farted about on a wee suzuki gn 125 for a year, and then passed my big boy test and went straight into a Honda VFR 750. 
Its an older model (91) so doesn’t quite have the zip of a new 750, but the change in power suited me perfectly. I certainly my wouldn’t go bigger than 750 within a few thousand miles of passing my test though.

Aye, I suppose it’s whatever the individual is comfortable with but I don’t want to shell out on a new bike and drop it after 5 minutes. Some people have told me if I get too small a machine I’ll get bored of it and want to upgrade quickly but at the same time I dunno if I’ll be shitting it on a nine t! I’m not interested in going crazy speeds anyway but still want something with a bit of go. I’ve spoken to guys who have jumped straight on a 1200 but opinions seem pretty mixed .

38 minutes ago, caleyjaggi said:

I’ve recently got my full licence and I’m looking for opinions on a suitable bike to buy. If you have a motorbike, what is it and how would you rate it?

I grew up riding trials bikes but would be the first to admit being a bit rusty and inexperienced as far as road bikes go.

I’m looking at retro style bikes. It’ll be for short journeys mainly, and used just for pleasure.

From what I’ve read elsewhere, opinions seem split on whether to build up to a big bike or dive in and just get what you want. I really like the R nine t pure, but I know it’s pretty torquey and wonder if a Triumph Bonneville T100 may be a better bet for a couple of years first?

I'll have your kidneys and liver.

Loads of bikes to choose from. I would stay away from the Triumph. my brother had one, not reliable and rot like f**k if not looked after. BMW is nice but expensive for what it is a retro looking posing machine. Get yourself a Honda CB650 or Yamaha MT 07. Both cracking bikes and will do most things you want and have all the gadgets to make your transition into an experienced rider. Then go and get a Ducati Panigale...............

Without knowing what sort of budget you have it's difficult to recommend a bike or bikes. The bikes mentioned (MT7,Fazer, HOnda CB etc) are decent enough to begin with.

Think about what you actually want to do with the bike before choosing though. Sportsbikes, whilst great fun down a quiet road can be a pain to commute any distance on. 

The mid range bikes are all decent these days and very much more capable than a lot of people think. Small bikes can be fun too but require more skill and effort to get the absolute best from. No harm whatsoever starting with one though, even if it is only for one year or so. Nothing wrong with jumping straight on a big bike either if that's what you want to do. Just remember, the throttle works both ways ;) 

Whatever you do, get out and enjoy it, assume every other road user is an idiot out to kill you and you won't go far wrong. 

If I can be any help in the future, give me a shout. 

Also, remember if you only take it out at the weekend on a sunny day, your road skills will be far less than in your car if you use it daily. The number of motorbike deaths in the Highlands is staggering in the summer, especially on the A82. The midlife crisis bike purchase is a real killer

Was driving along Edinburgh city bypass this afternoon. Both lanes were busy but we were all doing around 50mph. Suddenly a motorbike came racing through the middle of all of us. I reckon he must have been doing at the very least 120mph. Gave me and probably everyone else a hell of a shock. He was going that fast that I didn’t have a chance of focusing on his registration. Utter maniac who probably thinks he is some kind of Ghostrider although there is a good chance that he will be a real ghost very soon.