Motherwell v Dundee

Since that's the Reserve league finished up now I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson makes good on the promise to get more Academy players in. Even more so given the state of Grimshaw's defending for the goal against Accies.

Can't see Hastie being anywhere near the team either. Give McKinstry his spot on the bench and give him a run out at Fir Park before he leaves for Leeds.

Gillespie
Tait Aldred Dunne Livingstone
Campbell Gorrin Turnbull
Cadden Scott Ariyibi

Would be nice to keep our run of wins against Dundee going but it seems pretty clear we're on the beach for the last few games.

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Since that's the Reserve league finished up now I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson makes good on the promise to get more Academy players in. Even more so given the state of Grimshaw's defending for the goal against Accies.

Can't see Hastie being anywhere near the team either. Give McKinstry his spot on the bench and give him a run out at Fir Park before he leaves for Leeds.

Gillespie
Campbell Gorrin Turnbull
Cadden Scott Ariyibi

Would be nice to keep our run of wins against Dundee going but it seems pretty clear we're on the beach for the last few games.

That's exactly the team I would play on Saturday as well

I think you can tell after a few sub appearences if a young player needs to go out on loan and James Scott needs to go on loan next year.

Adam Livingstone is a hard yin. He's 21 and not looked anywhere near the part yet, granted he has had very few appearences but even that tells a story. Bob McHugh mark II possibly.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think you can tell after a few sub appearences if a young player needs to go out on loan and James Scott needs to go on loan next year.

Adam Livingstone is a hard yin. He's 21 and not looked anywhere near the part yet, granted he has had very few appearences but even that tells a story. Bob McHugh mark II possibly.

Agree, although one thing I would say about James Scott is he took a while to adjust when he stepped up to u20 level but once he found his feet he was absolutely fine.

I'm not sure just giving him 20 mins here and there really helps him much at the moment. I think we probably need to give him starts until the end of the season then get him out on loan for 6 months.

Re: Adam Livingstone if Robinson's got question marks over him defensively then I'd honestly give him a shot at left wing and see how he gets on. Craigan played him there a few times but either way he really needs games.

Edited by capt_oats

To be brutally honest. Livingstone needs to leave and try and rebuild his career. It would be rare for an almost untried 21 year old to suddenly start doing well. It then massively highlights our need for a LB. I have no issues with Tait there. I think he's equal on either side but we have always had this back up of "Livi can step in if needed" when I am honestly not sure he could. This is maybe on the wrong thread.

I agree that it may be best for Livingstone to drop down a level and rebuild his career. I feel that, if he had anything about him, he'd have made the left back position his own by now given that we haven't had a decent out-and-out left back since Hammell.

Perhaps an unfair comparison but Tierney and Livingstone are the same age. Tierney has played 150+ games for Celtic whereas Livingstone has played a handful of games between us and a loan spell at East Fife. To use a more relevant example (at least in terms of club size), Jason Kerr of St. Johnstone is also the same age as Livingstone and has almost 150 career appearances between St. Johnstone and a couple of loans in the lower leagues.

As I've said, we've been crying out for a proper left back for at least a couple of years. Livingstone should have made it his own by now. It might sound harsh but he either doesn't have the ability or he doesn't have the desire.

I'm firmly on the fence with Livingstone. I'm not ready to totally write him off, and it seems neither are the club. I would absolutely give him a run out in the rest of the season, though. See if he can learn a few things and maybe look at putting him on loan in the Championship for 6 months. 

You're all absolutely correct btw. It is interesting how he's not really been around the team at all in months. 

Gillespie
Campbell Gorrin Turnbull
Cadden Scott Ariyibi
Even if your boys are on the beach and even if you play some youth players,you will still fucking murder us.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm firmly on the fence with Livingstone. I'm not ready to totally write him off, and it seems neither are the club. I would absolutely give him a run out in the rest of the season, though. See if he can learn a few things and maybe look at putting him on loan in the Championship for 6 months. 

You're all absolutely correct btw. It is interesting how he's not really been around the team at all in months. 

Robinson's been pretty defensive about his developing of players and pitching them in "when they're ready" and when you look at how he's handled Campbell, Hastie and especially Turnbull I honestly don't think there's any argument that he knows exactly what the f**k he's doing in that respect.

IIRC Robinson gave Livingstone his debut in the end of season game against Killie that kept us up a couple of years ago...the one Lionel scored *that* free kick and coincidentally the one where Jordan Jones ended David Ferguson's Motherwell career. He then came off the bench in the ICT game and inside 11 minutes of him coming on we'd conceded 3 goals in 3 minutes all down his side.

First impressions and all that.

It's clear Robinson/the club still see something in him (there's a lot to like about him) but equally there's still a lot of convincing to do.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Robinson's been pretty defensive about his developing of players and pitching them in "when they're ready" and when you look at how he's handled Campbell, Hastie and especially Turnbull I honestly don't think there's any argument that he knows exactly what the f**k he's doing in that respect.

IIRC Robinson gave Livingstone his debut in the end of season game against Killie that kept us up a couple of years ago...the one Lionel scored *that* free kick and coincidentally the one where Jordan Jones ended David Ferguson's Motherwell career. He then came off the bench in the ICT game and inside 11 minutes of him coming on we'd conceded 3 goals in 3 minutes all down his side.

First impressions and all that.

It's clear Robinson/the club still see something in him (there's a lot to like about him) but equally there's still a lot of convincing to do.

Aye. Similar to James Scott I think he needs a loan spell before he could feasibly fit in to the team. 

But with us having another few fairly meaningless games I wouldn't be averse to put him in for an extended time. 

On 22/04/2019 at 13:09, kevthedee said:

1-does anyone care about this game.

2-will any Dundee fans attend.

3-will Dundee put in a spineless display.

4-will McIntyre talk shite.

Motherwell 3 Dundee 0

1.  I do.

2.  I imagine so.

3.  I hope so.

4.  That is very unfair.

Following on from the Adam Livingstone conversation and needing 6 months on loan in the championship, why was it not done this season? or even in january, he has now lost an entire season where he could have maybe got 20+ plus games getting bodied about in the championship.

48 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Following on from the Adam Livingstone conversation and needing 6 months on loan in the championship, why was it not done this season? or even in january, he has now lost an entire season where he could have maybe got 20+ plus games getting bodied about in the championship.

I wondered that too - I assumed that in the first part of the season it was because ATS' legs were made of spiders webs, we would need Livingstone as back-up. The fact that Grimmy at RB/Tait at LB worked so well for us and both have been ever present shouldn't mask the fact that a bad injury or suspension to either would have been a nightmare. There is no excuse not to get some game time in him during the upcoming summer friendly series starting on Saturday. 

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

I wondered that too - I assumed that in the first part of the season it was because ATS' legs were made of spiders webs, we would need Livingstone as back-up. The fact that Grimmy at RB/Tait at LB worked so well for us and both have been ever present shouldn't mask the fact that a bad injury or suspension to either would have been a nightmare. There is no excuse not to get some game time in him during the upcoming summer friendly series starting on Saturday. 

I had heard from Adam Livingstone's Da that Robinson has promised him game time before the season is out. 

With the Reserve league finished now, there's no reason not to get him chucked in.  Especially when we are playing the bottom two at home in the next two games.

I actually reckon we'll win this one.

Will it be because we put in a good performance? No.

Will it be because this is the beginning of an improbable survival fight? No.

It will be just to engender some form of hope and extend this pain for at least another week.

Yippie Ki Yay.