Hibs vs Hearts

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

In his 2 seasons before this one, Boyle played 43 and 42 matches - that he took a dull one this January doesnt make him injury prone.

Porteous is a young boy who played pretty much every match until his injury - again, not injury prone.

Scott Allan - since when has he ever played enough matches to assess his injury record????

At least do some due diligence before the fishing expeditions...............

Injuries gonna happen though and they hurt.

From our side, Naismith... nuff said.

Berra, best defender in Scotland probably before his injury, nowhere near it since his return. Was good on Sunday though, OG aside.

Haring, Uche and Cochrane still to reach previous levels.

Have probably missed a couple but.

23 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Injuries gonna happen though and they hurt.

From our side, Naismith... nuff said.

Berra, best defender in Scotland probably before his injury, nowhere near it since his return. Was good on Sunday though, OG aside.

Haring, Uche and Cochrane still to reach previous levels.

Have probably missed a couple but.

Agree - and as I said, getting good players back will improve us, as will Naismith when you sign him - different dimension etc

Cochrane needs something, maybe more games?

5 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Agree - and as I said, getting good players back will improve us, as will Naismith when you sign him - different dimension etc

Cochrane needs something, maybe more games?

Thought Cochrane was good on Sunday but died on his feet after about an hour.  He needs a run of games, been injured a lot.

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

In his 2 seasons before this one, Boyle played 43 and 42 matches - that he took a dull one this January doesnt make him injury prone.

Porteous is a young boy who played pretty much every match until his injury - again, not injury prone.

Scott Allan - since when has he ever played enough matches to assess his injury record????

At least do some due diligence before the fishing expeditions...............

Aye, very good.

1. You've bent the stats and picked Boyle's best 2 years. You in politics? He's averaged about 27 games a season over a decade.

2. Scott Allan has averaged about 16 games a season over a decade. And btw,  he's an attacking midfielder that manages just over 1 (one) goal a season.

3. Porteous. Now, I'm no medic - but a knee cap that has now "popped out" twice sounds career limiting. Which would be a shame for a boy who plays with all the gusto every fan would play with if they could live their dream.

Edited by Pet Jeden

Decent assessment, and pretty much where I am.

Hearts fans on twitter (e.g. the plum Ewan Murray) getting all "this is as good as Hibs can get" are kinda missing the point that we will have Scott Allan, Martin Boyle, Porteous plus presumably a couple of new strikers and at least one more DM next season.

Its looking good from where I am sitting.

Following a football club would be a far less fun and more dispiriting hobby if one couldn’t be overoptimistic about the season to come.

I’m looking forward to the results of the experiment to genetically splice 1990 John Robertson with recovered Velociraptor DNA to give our attack the pace and eye for goal that it needs.

Following a football club would be a far less fun and more dispiriting hobby if one couldn’t be overoptimistic about the season to come.

I’m looking forward to the results of the experiment to genetically splice 1990 John Robertson with recovered Velociraptor DNA to give our attack the pace and eye for goal that it needs.

In my mind all these experiments are being done in Budge’s big basement. Uche never came from Cambridge Utd at all. Instead he is some sort of Frankenstein mix between Mark De Vries and a silverback gorilla.

11 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Aye, very good.

1. You've bent the stats and picked Boyle's best 2 years. You in politics? He's averaged about 27 games a season over a decade.

2. Scott Allan has averaged about 16 games a season over a decade. And btw,  he's an attacking midfielder that manages just over 1 (one) goal a season.

3. Porteous. Now, I'm no medic - but a knee cap that has now "popped out" twice sounds career limiting. Which would be a shame for a boy who plays with all the gusto every fan would play with if they could live their dream.

The fact that Boyle averaged 27 games over the previous decade wasn't due to injury, it's simply because he wasn't a regular player until 2016/17. He is back in training now, although he probably won't play this season because he's been out for months and Hibs have played all of their reserve league games.

Allan hasn't played much because he's been a spare part at Celtic.

Porteous is more concerning because of the recurrence, but it's far too early to be writing a player off.

The fact that Boyle averaged 27 games over the previous decade wasn't due to injury, it's simply because he wasn't a regular player until 2016/17. He is back in training now, although he probably won't play this season because he's been out for months and Hibs have played all of their reserve league games.
Porteous is more concerning because of the recurrence, but it's far too early to be writing a player off.
Wait, you're saying that counting Boyles appearances when he was 16 in an average, then saying that the games he's played in the last two seasons is cherry picking, might actually be statistical incontinence?

5 hours ago, Lebowski said:
8 hours ago, morrison1982 said:

Wait, you're saying that counting Boyles appearances when he was 16 in an average, then saying that the games he's played in the last two seasons is cherry picking, might actually be statistical incontinence?

Yes, okay. That's extreme - although it does only dilute his appearances per season by a couple. But picking out his 2 very best seasons is definitely misleading. 

If my memory was anywhere near up to it, I would dredge this up this time next year. 

Yeah, bringing up the seasons where he was actually a first teamer as proof of his ability to play a lot of games is really unfair. If Boyle had been the first name on the team sheet rather than someone you'd swap for Alex Harris or have on the because he plays practically every position, his body would have broken down every six games. Probably.

53 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Yes, okay. That's extreme - although it does only dilute his appearances per season by a couple. But picking out his 2 very best seasons is definitely misleading.

Picking out his newest seasons is not misleading, though, is it? Those are surely most indicative of his current abilities and injury status.

54 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

If my memory was anywhere near up to it, I would dredge this up this time next year. 

I wouldn't discredit your memory too much, you seem to be capable of reciting the balance sheets of Hibernian dating all the way back to the 1890s.

1 minute ago, Pet Jeden said:

newest ?

newest - adjective, superlative form of new; most recent; latest

The three seasons mentioned by Green Day - whom you accused of cherrypicking - were his three most recent, or, "newest" seasons, as per

23 hours ago, Green Day said:

Green Day is talking about the seasons most representative of his current abilities and injury status. They coincidentally happen to also be his best seasons, true, but that's because Martin Boyle was a warrior poet in his prime, until his season was tragically cut short through being recklessly misused by the uncaring Australian footballing establishment, presumably because of that grudge they've held against people from the old country ever since the days of Gallipoli and bodyline bowling. Hope this helps.

31 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Pet Jeden is exactly the type of jambo we all hope to encounter in day to day life. You can say the slightest of things to them and they start getting all mental. 

I am a bit worried, I am fairly sure he made a sensible contribution to another thread the other week - I threw him a greenie.

I know, I know - now I feel like I have been a wee bit sick in my mouth, I blame myself entirely for thinking he had grown up.............

Spoiler

But not as sick as you are all going to  feel opening the next spoiler jose.png.fad36a46ed4d2e17043a4575b8716774.png

Spoiler

jambostunna.png.6bb0c8af0a8f1510216c11be001b2d0f.png