West Region Fixture Update for rest of season

Kennie

On 21/04/2019 at 22:46, Wile E Coyote said:

Remember this game was already scheduled and Cambuslang called it off for absolutely no reason so forgive me if I have no sympathy if they have to wait three weeks for a game. Instead Talbot are being inconvenienced by having to travel there on a Monday as well as having a game the following Wednesday. The scheduling for this game could have waited to see if talbot are in the West Final or not. I know this isn't ideal as you want to get all fixtures scheduled but they have only themselves to blame

100 percent this. Talbot should not  be punished for being the most successful side in the juniors, the original game v Cambuslang was called off due to Cambuslang being at it and they should have waited 3 weeks to play rather than be accomodated, kennie has done a really good job of the fixtures, however the same problems persist of the successful teams being giving a ridiculous run of fixtures come season end and also the junior Cup final being played too late to be given a good senior stadium with a cracking grass pitch. 

The exact way to go about everything I don't know but these two are things we need to improve on. 

4 hours ago, ThemightyHERTHA said:

100 percent this. Talbot should not  be punished for being the most successful side in the juniors, the original game v Cambuslang was called off due to Cambuslang being at it and they should have waited 3 weeks to play rather than be accomodated, kennie has done a really good job of the fixtures, however the same problems persist of the successful teams being giving a ridiculous run of fixtures come season end and also the junior Cup final being played too late to be given a good senior stadium with a cracking grass pitch. 

The exact way to go about everything I don't know but these two are things we need to improve on. 

I'm sorry if some of you have mis-understood the point I was trying to get across.

The Monday night fixture was not put in place primarily to suit Cambuslang. It's Talbot's fixture backlog that was the problem. I had no available Saturday to play this game, apart from Saturday 25th May, but I figured that Beith were more entitled to get that date than Cambuslang.

If I had another free Saturday then Cambuslang would have got it no matter how long they had to sit idle, but I had none, so it was always destined to be a midweek game. Talbot have a game every Wednesday through till Wed 22nd May. I can't give them a fixture in the week prior to the Scottish Junior Cup Final.

Lord Talbot suggested it should be Tues 4th June. I think 2 days after the cup final would have came in for more criticism. He went on to suggest that it could be played on the Friday 24th, if Talbot failed to win the semi-final of the West Cup. That would have meant that I would need to wait till after the game on Saturday 4th May to plan the fixture and yes if Talbot lose, it could have been played on the Friday, but what if they win? It means I'm back to looking for a date but it also means everyone is getting less notice of it.

So with that in mind, I had to look for a Monday fixture. 

Monday 13th was available, so I went for that on the basis that - a) It get's Cambuslang's fixtures done, - b) It's almost 3 weeks away from the Scottish Cup game rather than the 20th which is almost 2 weeks away, - c) if Talbot do reach the West Cup final against either Beith or Glenafton, neither finalist will have had the disadvantage of a midweek game before it.

The fact that it gets Cambuslang finished is merely a coincidence.

I know that whatever I do, I'm not going to please everybody. But, in my mind at least, it seemed to me to be the fairest all round.

I'm sorry if some of you have mis-understood the point I was trying to get across.
The Monday night fixture was not put in place primarily to suit Cambuslang. It's Talbot's fixture backlog that was the problem. I had no available Saturday to play this game, apart from Saturday 25th May, but I figured that Beith were more entitled to get that date than Cambuslang.
If I had another free Saturday then Cambuslang would have got it no matter how long they had to sit idle, but I had none, so it was always destined to be a midweek game. Talbot have a game every Wednesday through till Wed 22nd May. I can't give them a fixture in the week prior to the Scottish Junior Cup Final.
Lord Talbot suggested it should be Tues 4th June. I think 2 days after the cup final would have came in for more criticism. He went on to suggest that it could be played on the Friday 24th, if Talbot failed to win the semi-final of the West Cup. That would have meant that I would need to wait till after the game on Saturday 4th May to plan the fixture and yes if Talbot lose, it could have been played on the Friday, but what if they win? It means I'm back to looking for a date but it also means everyone is getting less notice of it.
So with that in mind, I had to look for a Monday fixture. 
Monday 13th was available, so I went for that on the basis that - a) It get's Cambuslang's fixtures done, - b) It's almost 3 weeks away from the Scottish Cup game rather than the 20th which is almost 2 weeks away, - c) if Talbot do reach the West Cup final against either Beith or Glenafton, neither finalist will have had the disadvantage of a midweek game before it.
The fact that it gets Cambuslang finished is merely a coincidence.
I know that whatever I do, I'm not going to please everybody. But, in my mind at least, it seemed to me to be the fairest all round.

Your logic around this is entirely sound, keep up the good work.

To be fair Talbot have played a league game 2 days after a Junior Cup final (when we beat Pollok at Beechwood to hand Irvine Meadow the league title) so there is a precedent there.  And I am quite sure the Talbot players would prefer to play fewer games before this season's Junior Cup final and take their chances of playing Cambuslang midweek before what is, at the moment, only the potential of a West of Scotland cup final.  

However, I will reiterate that I fully believe Kennie has done a great job in his first season as fixtures secretary - the difference is night and day between him and the previous incumbent.

The decision has been taken and the fixtures are up so we will get on with it.  I'm just trying to stick up for my team and I'm sure fans of other teams would - probably - be doing the same too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2019 at 13:29, gogsy said:

Slightly off topic but I liked John Holroyd's  post on the Ayrshire Junior Football page where he says during the 78-9 season Auchinlecks first home league game was 10th March. 78-9 Season was bad weather wise though.

Or could've been back-of-a-fag-packet man's first season doing the fixtures? :P