Stenhousemuir v Forfar

For a team that has to play the last three games as cup finals that was an absolute load of trash.  There was only ever one team in control of the game and they, Forfar, took there chances well and were never really stretched.  We had no control in midfield and never once seemed to exert any extended pressure on the Forfar defence. 

What was tragic was the comparrison between the 2 right backs.  Forfar have a confident attacking right back who we should have had signed up well before the end of the season and we have a plodding joke. At one point Munro was beside him at a throw in shouting for the ball and Reid did not have a clue what to do and eventually gave him the ball but much to late.  He can get away with things in a 3-5-2 but as soon as we switched to 4 at the back he is a libility.

Dingwall still fails to impress in midfield and if we have resigned Halloren then surely he must be worth a start.

Munro's sending off was a joke but when does his ban come into play.  If we have to revert to 4 at the back for teh next 2 games then we are surely down.

It appeared yesterday that the team is banking everything on the last game of the season. Hopefully next week they will throw everything at East Fife.

The best we can achieve now is a play off place but after yesterday's performance that is a big shout.  We created nothing at all and Baird pulled our defence apart at will.  Yesterday's performance was a big worry.  We did not show any fight in the game and never had any prolonged spells of possession. We needed a midfileder who could give a telling pass.  We had one great chance when Cook put a great ball into the box and McGuigan could just not get onto it.  Did not think it was a penalty soon afterwards but that was game over at that point.  Apart fom that there was nothing much on offer from us.  Hopefully Neil's injury is a minor one and Munro being sent off does not help.  Is Gibbons a better option than Dingwall?  Reid's lack of pace in a back 4 is also a concern if we have to play that way.

East Fife is a huge game next week. they are on a poor run and are there for the taking but could still get into a play off spot if results go their way.  The other  worry is Brechin at Raith.  Hopefully Raith will be desperate for 2nd place and put up a good performance but given some of their results who knows.

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

giphy.gif

Not tears mate just reality.  We have been looking down the barrell of the gun all season but can accept it when there is a degree of fight which we did not show yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Whatif said:

Not tears mate just reality.  We have been looking down the barrell of the gun all season but can accept it when there is a degree of fight which we did not show yesterday.

You were on a roll, and I was a little wary , before the lineup were announced. We had looked like in the last 2 weeks of playing just to play for the playoffs. However, you did come up against one of the better team in the league yesterday, not being big headed, YES I am, we are probable the best footballing team in the league.

Still in your hands, I heard & also seen Brechin aren't up to much, so the play off, again is the second chance....grab it, don't sit back in tears, when your team needs you.  

Hope you go next week and give it all, you included.

50 minutes ago, Whatif said:

For a team that has to play the last three games as cup finals that was an absolute load of trash.  There was only ever one team in control of the game and they, Forfar, took there chances well and were never really stretched.  We had no control in midfield and never once seemed to exert any extended pressure on the Forfar defence. 

What was tragic was the comparrison between the 2 right backs.  Forfar have a confident attacking right back who we should have had signed up well before the end of the season and we have a plodding joke. At one point Munro was beside him at a throw in shouting for the ball and Reid did not have a clue what to do and eventually gave him the ball but much to late.  He can get away with things in a 3-5-2 but as soon as we switched to 4 at the back he is a libility.

Dingwall still fails to impress in midfield and if we have resigned Halloren then surely he must be worth a start.

Munro's sending off was a joke but when does his ban come into play.  If we have to revert to 4 at the back for teh next 2 games then we are surely down.

It appeared yesterday that the team is banking everything on the last game of the season. Hopefully next week they will throw everything at East Fife.

How can we know Munro’s sending off was a joke, no-one has any idea what he said. I’m leaning on the side of it being fucking stupid from him, very rare for an official to straight red for dissent unless something especially silly has been said. What annoys me most is it didn’t even happen during a contentious passage of play, Baird had smacked the ball out for a goal kick to us and it happened from there...no idea what the f**k he was moaning about. Munro’s been superb for us but he’s really put us in it here.

Dissent is a one match ban effective immediately so he misses EF but will be back for Brechin, supposing we are still in it by then. 

So EF next week, if Neill isn’t fit do we go with Marsh and McBrearty or Marsh and Reid at centre half? I’m leaning towards McBrearty as we have other options to come into the middle (Dickson, Duthie, Halloran, Gibbons) rather than move Reid and have another problem trying to squeeze someone into RB. Either way its looking like a back 4 and that’s not ideal at all is it. 

Edited by Christophe

Forfar Athletic are the best side we've faced this season. They were streets ahead of us - very solid at the back (albeit they didn't have much to deal with), they moved the ball well around the middle of the park and John Baird and Dale Hilson bewitched our centre-backs with their movement and trickery throughout - but we didn't half make it easy for them. All three goals were very preventable, the second and third ones especially, and other than a brief spell at the beginning of the second half, we were never really in the game. We had two decent chances, both set up by Alan Cook, but couldn't do anything with them.

Other than Cook, Graeme Smith and Ruaridh Donaldson maybe, it's hard to give pass marks to anyone. Alan Reid was taken apart by Dylan Easton; the three centre-backs were pulled all over the place by Baird and Hilson (when they weren't playing their way into danger), Thomas Reilly and Brad Spencer dominated the midfield and Greg Hurst and Mark McGuigan rarely troubled Michael Travis and Darren Whyte. Andy Munro's red card was very silly - I think he was complaining to the referee about the number of times Baird had kicked the ball away (for instance, when he was flagged offside, he would continue to dribble with the ball and the shoot), something he'd already been booked for - and given we were three goals down with five minutes or so to play, it was needless.

We'll certainly need to make a better fist of it against East Fife next week, that's for sure. If we lose and Brechin City win at Raith Rovers, we're down, such is our goal difference. We were good against them last month at Bayview and I hope we can reprise it; play like we did yesterday and we'll get pounded. With Munro out, we'll likely be going to a 4-5-1 formation. Cook should start on the left and Hurst on the right, with license to come inside and support McGuigan.

Just a disappointing day all in.

27 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Forfar Athletic are the best side we've faced this season. They were streets ahead of us - very solid at the back (albeit they didn't have much to deal with), they moved the ball well around the middle of the park and John Baird and Dale Hilson bewitched our centre-backs with their movement and trickery throughout - but we didn't half make it easy for them. All three goals were very preventable, the second and third ones especially, and other than a brief spell at the beginning of the second half, we were never really in the game. We had two decent chances, both set up by Alan Cook, but couldn't do anything with them.

Other than Cook, Graeme Smith and Ruaridh Donaldson maybe, it's hard to give pass marks to anyone. Alan Reid was taken apart by Dylan Easton; the three centre-backs were pulled all over the place by Baird and Hilson (when they weren't playing their way into danger), Thomas Reilly and Brad Spencer dominated the midfield and Greg Hurst and Mark McGuigan rarely troubled Michael Travis and Darren Whyte. Andy Munro's red card was very silly - I think he was complaining to the referee about the number of times Baird had kicked the ball away (for instance, when he was flagged offside, he would continue to dribble with the ball and the shoot), something he'd already been booked for - and given we were three goals down with five minutes or so to play, it was needless.

We'll certainly need to make a better fist of it against East Fife next week, that's for sure. If we lose and Brechin City win at Raith Rovers, we're down, such is our goal difference. We were good against them last month at Bayview and I hope we can reprise it; play like we did yesterday and we'll get pounded. With Munro out, we'll likely be going to a 4-5-1 formation. Cook should start on the left and Hurst on the right, with license to come inside and support McGuigan.

Just a disappointing day all in.

Thank you.

How can we know Munro’s sending off was a joke, no-one has any idea what he said. I’m leaning on the side of it being fucking stupid from him, very rare for an official to straight red for dissent unless something especially silly has been said. What annoys me most is it didn’t even happen during a contentious passage of play, Baird had smacked the ball out for a goal kick to us and it happened from there...no idea what the f**k he was moaning about. Munro’s been superb for us but he’s really put us in it here.
Dissent is a one match ban effective immediately so he misses EF but will be back for Brechin, supposing we are still in it by then. 
So EF next week, if Neill isn’t fit do we go with Marsh and McBrearty or Marsh and Reid at centre half? I’m leaning towards McBrearty as we have other options to come into the middle (Dickson, Duthie, Halloran, Gibbons) rather than move Reid and have another problem trying to squeeze someone into RB. Either way its looking like a back 4 and that’s not ideal at all is it. 

The sending off was right on front of me. It was harsh. Munro was having a right pop at the ref but nothing out of the ordinary. The ref seemed to snap when he said “it’s a fu**ing disgrace”. Just pure frustration and I think the ref needing to apply some common sense.

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

How can we know Munro’s sending off was a joke,

What I was meaning it was a stupid sending off but you could see Munro's frustrations given Bairds continually getting away with kicking the ball away and dribbling on after the whistle had went. He had already been booked for it but still got away with it but Munro vents his anger and is off.