Relegation Confirmed - Utd v Falkirk

Regarding the name change away from Dundee Hibs, the 1923 application put forward Dundee City Athletic Association as approved by the Dundee Hibernian board in August, the SFA and Board of Trade accepted this but the Register of Joint Stock Companies would only sanction Dundee City Athletic Club. One month later Dundee FC protested, on the grounds that there may be a 'confusion of correspondence'.

In true SFA fashion, the Dundee FC complaint was going to be outvoted, but two SFA committee members had to leave early to catch trains, and a casting vote by Chairman T White of Celtic upheld the Dundee FC argument.

It wasn't until October at the next SFA monthly meeting that 'United' was chosen, and even then the members of the committee had discussions 'behind the chair' and outside before they could suggest a name for the club to use. 

The Dundee Hibernian representatives intimated they would accept anything as long as 'Hibs' was removed from the title, and truth be told the name Dundee United was not chosen by them, but by the SFA. And it was William McIntosh, the Dundee FC representative from the League Committee, who then returned to the meeting and placed the Dundee United proposed name before the president.

As a footnote, McIntosh, only five months earlier, had led opposition to Dundee Hibernian returning to the league, arguing that two clubs could not operate league football in the city.

20 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

We'll be sure to keep in touch, don't worry. 

Hilarious banter from the city that brought us rampant drug deaths and junkies on every street corner. Not to mention people running about shooting bows and arrows in the street. 

“Pour boiling water over a Dundonian’s head and you have invented a new flavour of pot noodle.”  (copyright Jerry Sadowitz)

14 hours ago, Hughsie said:

I fail to see the point of backing the team all season to then not bother when we’re in the last chance saloon.

I get it was bad last week but may as well stick with it now!

Well said!  We are happy to take your money and you should treat yourself to a pie, their the best in, err, Tannadice.

47 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

When was the last time a team was relegated against United? Partick in the play-off? 

There were times during the season we got relegated from the Premier that we seemed to be helping the opposition so much that you could say that it was us.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

When was the last time a team was relegated against United? Partick in the play-off? 

Hibs at Easter Road in 98, I believe. We were given the lower tier of the South Stand. (? behind the goal anyway) and they were raining down pies and vile abuse etc. from the top tier. It was glorious.

At least that's my recollection.

If Ross county win tonight technically you can’t relegate us tomorrow

51 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Hibs at Easter Road in 98, I believe. We were given the lower tier of the South Stand. (? behind the goal anyway) and they were raining down pies and vile abuse etc. from the top tier. It was glorious.

At least that's my recollection.

As a Leith based Dundee United fan, that was a very good day indeed.