Partick Thistle defeat Ayr x2

Miles Storey...involved in the goal, missed the same number of 1-on-1s as Doolan and McDonald against Alloa, injured himself fashioning a chance for Doolan, and, unlike some of his teammates, never ever hides. A scapegoat.

5 hours ago, Hursty said:

Big McGinty got Man of the Match.  I'm sitting here in Hospitality drinking Thistles beer waiting on the big man getting a sugar lump then led through the doors like a winner at Cheltenham. 

Eight years ago Sean McGinty played at Ayr in the same Manchester United team as Paul Pogba. 

First game I've been at since the turn of the year due to work. f**k me, man - that was diabolical.

We were getting horsed in the first half and were set up like an away team, ready to hit on the break...except we rarely did. It was a great goal that we scored - excellent hold up play from Storey, perfect cross from Cardle and well timed run from Gordon to bury the header. But that was one of the sole bright spots in a half where we got overrun in midfield thanks to an utterly gutless Harkins.

He was truly abysmal, an embarrassing performance for a supposed professional. Half arsed attempts at tracking back, lost his man at every single set piece and wasteful in possession. A complete charlatan who should be flat out on his arse at the end of the season, contract or not.

Whilst Anderson might bring experience and guidance to the squad, he was a liability for most of the afternoon; caught on the hop multiple times and dire on the ball. He gave away the needless corner from which Muirhead scored. Doubtful he's got the legs for another season at this level but maybe just incapable of playing three games in a week. Would be fine if we slide into the seaside leagues which wouldn't surprise me.

On the plus side, Sneddon kept us in it with a couple of good saves, particularly with his feet. Mansell put himself about well when he came on and was unlucky with his header that hit the post. Gordon had a decent game although, goal apart, was largely anonymous for the first hour before growing into it when he moved alongside Bannigan; a million miles away from Premier League standard though despite what some weapons on Twitter might have you believe.

There's a massive rebuild required and I'm still far from convinced that Caldwell is the man for that. I accept that there's been increased fight in the team since January but that should hardly be upheld as some kind of managerial masterstroke; it's the fucking bare minimum that we should expect and something we've been shorted on for 18 months.  

Ayr were tidy enough and certainly the better team but could have been turned over by a more capable side. Good luck to them in the play-offs.

Other results should mean despite the loss, Thistle should be safe.

Serious rebuilding required though. You were gash today. Even your goal was shambolic defending from us. Could have sailed the Queen Elizabeth through our two central defenders and Smith was so far up the pitch it was unreal.

That aside it was easy street for us and Harkins deserved everything he got as he trudged off.  Wage thief that he is.

I’m quite pleased that McCall recognised McCowan could’ve been more involved this season and from the looks of his highlights he could be important next season.

That first goal from us is a thing of beauty. Partick stand off us but we moved the ball well and it’s a great team goal.

Disgraceful stuff. Pass marks for Sneddon and McGinty only. Everyone else dreadful. Totally pedestrian and lethargic performances all over the park. Special mention for Storey, Harkins and Anderson for being especially bad [emoji24][emoji24]

Mcginty!!! Am I missing something? The tallest man on the park who never won a header all day. That Mcginty?

Have to say I was wondering how Smith managed to score a goal, it's months since we've had players gambling to get on to crosses, long may it continue.

Hopefully we don't rest Smith or Harvie, consistently among our best outfield players for quite a while now, others have looked more in need of a rest in recent weeks, special mention to Harvie, the boy took a pounding for quite a while after the Talbot game, he's looked decent for quite a while now without getting much praise on these threads.

I'm just living with the hope that we turn up in the playoffs, if we do we've a fairly decent chance of succeeding.

Have to say I was wondering how Smith managed to score a goal, it's months since we've had players gambling to get on to crosses, long may it continue.
Hopefully we don't rest Smith or Harvie, consistently among our best outfield players for quite a while now, others have looked more in need of a rest in recent weeks, special mention to Harvie, the boy took a pounding for quite a while after the Talbot game, he's looked decent for quite a while now without getting much praise on these threads.
I'm just living with the hope that we turn up in the playoffs, if we do we've a fairly decent chance of succeeding.
I trust the manager to know who needs a complete rest next week, and who needs to only play an hour.

It could be an interesting team. But thank f**k we've played a bit better and got ourselves a wee bit of confidence.

10 hours ago, Nizzy said:

Miles Storey...involved in the goal, missed the same number of 1-on-1s as Doolan and McDonald against Alloa, injured himself fashioning a chance for Doolan, and, unlike some of his teammates, never ever hides. A scapegoat.

OK, I'll bite.  Storey  29 league games, 2 goals  this season - now 5 goals in 71 (seventy one!) appearances in all for us in a forward role.  The best thing anyone can say about him is that he never hides; it's a shame he doesn't have the skills to do useful things regularly while he's running fast in straight lines. Fair play that he was involved in yesterday's goal - that's statistically highly unusual. A scapegoat only in the sense that there are others this season who deserve more criticism than they are getting, while Storey is rightly widely recognised as a waste of a jersey.

Doolan 23 games (including a lot of sub appearances), 4 goals in what has been a very disappointing season for him. Club legend status obviously secure but he was rightly dropped for most of the winter, unlike Storey who continued to be bafflingly selected to start every week.

McDonald 10 games, 5 goals.  Sorely missed yesterday as he has a high workrate (like Storey) but is also a dangerous and effective attacker (unlike Storey). We desperately need him back for the trapdoor-themed extravaganza in Dumfries.

Edited by VictorOnopko

10 hours ago, Nizzy said:

storeytime.gif.f2c3d43b8b34bd21fd5f2606bc9c48f2.thumb.gif.b9fc670c3f2f16c4c2629c6697c4d1f9.gif

Some of our passing in those highlights was great. The first is a great team move but some of the play from back to front I've not seen for months. I'm starting to see a glimmer of hope for the playoffs and with Sir Lawrence back next week too! If our finishing was a bit better we could have got another 2 or 3.

McCowan looked unplayable at times there.

Also whoever does the Thistle programme notes - what a moron! Obviously, made McCalls team talk very easy.  Thanks! :thumsup2