Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/20/2019 at 19:15, Ludo*1 said:

From the list that I put, which admittedly I never put to much thought into I'd go for:

1. Weighorst - Dream appointment. High pedigree, would be the guy to finally unite the fans behind the team since the Barry Smith era.

2.  David Hopkin - Not the most inspiring name on the list, but seems to be very effective in Scottish football and builds a hard and ferocious team.

3.  Temuri Ketsbaia - Done a relatively decent job whereever he's been and at a higher level than us.

4. Ian McCall - Some eye for a player.

5. Jim Goodwin - The up and coming manager in Scotland right now.

Then it falls into the category of managers I'd accept:

James McPake (As long as there was a heavily experienced assistant), Paul Hartley (Fans wouldn't take to him, but he got us out the league before and put a lot of building blocks in place that McCann and McIntyre have dissembled.)

Then there's:

Jim Duffy/Barry Smith/Jocky/Archie - Would be disappointed but they'd tap into my inner child as a Dee and I'd love it.

Then it's just pure and utter disappointment:

Stuart McCall, John Hughes, Alan Archibald.

Issue re Hopkin is that I'd be curious to know what the dynamic was at Livi with signings etc and how much Martindale played into it. Would be happy with the theory of it but just got a wee worry that things aren't all that they seem and Livi maybe had a unique model that we don't have.

I think Ian McCall or Goodwin would be respectable appointments on the face of it, McCall especially has demonstrated an ability to build squads and has shaken off his demons it seems. One of my pals plays under Goodwin and rates him massively, I think he'll have a decent career.

I'd be thinking about a director of football too, worth the salary if it gives some credibility to FPS. Hard to pick a criteria for that but I'd ideally want someone who is technically competent but maybe has the ability to be a ghost - think that's hard to evaluate being outwith the football world.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Issue re Hopkin is that I'd be curious to know what the dynamic was at Livi with signings etc and how much Martindale played into it. Would be happy with the theory of it but just got a wee worry that things aren't all that they seem and Livi maybe had a unique model that we don't have.

I think Ian McCall or Goodwin would be respectable appointments on the face of it, McCall especially has demonstrated an ability to build squads and has shaken off his demons it seems. One of my pals plays under Goodwin and rates him massively, I think he'll have a decent career.

I'd be thinking about a director of football too, worth the salary if it gives some credibility to FPS. Hard to pick a criteria for that but I'd ideally want someone who is technically competent but maybe has the ability to be a ghost - think that's hard to evaluate being outwith the football world.

I could think of a tache'd one who has outside experience of being a director...

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

Jim Goodwin would be a risk IMO, although our last managerial recruit from Alloa was fairly successful.

There's not a single appointment that wouldn't be a risk.

The question the board need to ask themselves is that IF they are to continue looking at candidates they expect to lead the whole club (Not just on the pitch), then what qualities do they want in a manager? One that is proficient in dealing with the lower leagues should be a must as I assume they expect the candidate to be able to scout young talent to sell on for a profit. (Paul Hartley) They also need someone who is relatively well polished in front of the camera (Neil McCann) since they do their best to keep a low profile, therefore the manager will be the face of the club. And finally, they need someone who has experience in the game and been involved in promotion/relegation battles (Jim McIntyre).

So basically, we need a combination of Paul Hartley, Neil McCann and Jim McIntyre - but a lot better.

Morten Weighorst is the only answer IMO.

Guest gregteamdee

TBH, we should have of taken a punt on Czeslaw Michniewicz, than McIntyre, couldn't have been any worse. The next appointment is crucial, we need to go up at the first time of asking.  Do we go left field and appoint someone like; Austin MacPhee or Stephen Kenny?  Every appointment is a risk, however, you reduce the risk by doing your homework. I do feel we need a total clear out of backroom staff though, new blood, new voices required. 

1 minute ago, gregteamdee said:

TBH, we should have of taken a punt on Czeslaw Michniewicz, than McIntyre, couldn't have been any worse. The next appointment is crucial, we need to go up at the first time of asking.  Do we go left field and appoint someone like; Austin MacPhee or Stephen Kenny?  Every appointment is a risk, however, you reduce the risk by doing your homework. I do feel we need a total clear out of backroom staff though, new blood, new voices required. 

He'd actually tick all the boxes for me.

I don't see why suggestions of managers from lower leagues never seemed to get questioned if they could 'make the step up' or that they have 'found their level' in the same way players do.

I personally would not be inspired with the likes of McCall, Hopkin or Goodwin for this very reason. 

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Would be surprised if it was not Jim Goodwin. Knows what is required in the championship. Born leader who can get the best out of his players as such can get you back where you belong quickly. 

Tbf, McIntyre's doing a perfectly good job of taking them back to where they belong.

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:
5 hours ago, johnnydun said:
I don't see why suggestions of managers from lower leagues never seemed to get questioned if they could 'make the step up' or that they have 'found their level' in the same way players do.
I personally would not be inspired with the likes of McCall, Hopkin or Goodwin for this very reason. 

We did this for Hartley and he got us out the league...

Aye the Championship was his level.

You'd have to think Goodwin would be a popular choice for those changing manager this summer. 

Hopkin I do fear might have been a front at Livi. Certainly last game we played against them in Paisley you wouldn't know Holt was the manager. 

That said likely to be Kenny Miller. 

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
4 hours ago, johnnydun said:
Aye the Championship was his level.

Aye a top 6 finish wasnt a good season... many times can you count in your life time this has happened ? Yet Hartley managed this :-)

He peaked G, then was on course to have us hurtling back down to the Championship.

7 times in my lifetime. Utterly pathetic.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

33 years of my life and it's been some rollercoaster. Suppose lucky we are still a club with the amount of cowboys have ran our club. He did peak but nobody in 10 years could get us out the league but he did first time of asking? He couldn't of been all that bad .

Potentially first time I'm not getting season ticket in 32 years. Old boy got me one just because he could and I suppose in life I carried it on but it's so expensive now and with way things are going it's just going to keep getting dearer.

Its nae good

No, you are right, it was a good attempt by Hartley to have a bit af stability but the task was just too much for him.

It is a sad state of affairs we always find ourselves in. The past 30+ years we have had right dodgers of chairmen. Now we have chairmen with the right goals and steady backing, we have had nothing but dodgers of managers.

No, you are right, it was a good attempt by Hartley to have a bit af stability but the task was just too much for him.
It is a sad state of affairs we always find ourselves in. The past 30+ years we have had right dodgers of chairmen. Now we have chairmen with the right goals and steady backing, we have had nothing but dodgers of managers.
The people who and process by which they appoint the managers is the problem.

"How d'ye want the room done pal?"

"I'll save a bit on the plastering and let the decorator buy the most expensive paint we can afford. It'll look great."

"wa's fell doon again bud, maybe you should plaster it properly?"

"No man, I'm sure this time the expensive paint will hold it up."

"Fair enough pal, I'll send in the next shite plasterer, looks a bit dodgy like, his mate is carrying the buckets hung ower his lugs."