Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest gregteamdee
25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

From the list that I put, which admittedly I never put to much thought into I'd go for:

1. Weighorst - Dream appointment. High pedigree, would be the guy to finally unite the fans behind the team since the Barry Smith era.

2.  David Hopkin - Not the most inspiring name on the list, but seems to be very effective in Scottish football and builds a hard and ferocious team.

3.  Temuri Ketsbaia - Done a relatively decent job whereever he's been and at a higher level than us.

4. Ian McCall - Some eye for a player.

5. Jim Goodwin - The up and coming manager in Scotland right now.

Then it falls into the category of managers I'd accept:

James McPake (As long as there was a heavily experienced assistant), Paul Hartley (Fans wouldn't take to him, but he got us out the league before and put a lot of building blocks in place that McCann and McIntyre have dissembled.)

Then there's:

Jim Duffy/Barry Smith/Jocky/Archie - Would be disappointed but they'd tap into my inner child as a Dee and I'd love it.

Then it's just pure and utter disappointment:

Stuart McCall, John Hughes, Alan Archibald.

I agree Ludo. Weighorst would be an excellent appointment and would get the excitement back, maybe even push season ticket sales. However, it would be a gamble and probably expensive. However, you could argue that every appointment is a gamble.

Hopkin would certainly get us organised and more physical and did a great job with Livingston on a smaller budget than what Dundee would give him.

Goodwin is an excellent coach and communicator, but maybe a bit early for him?

Hartley was actually decent for Dundee. His third season let him down, his recruitment was poor. He drew a lot of games though as Dundee manager.

John Robertson, Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher would actually be okay for us I think if they were able to bring in their own backroom team. They all have had success at their clubs (Inverness, Motherwell, Inverness) and would make us very organised and probably within our budget/wages. They also have a decent recruitment history too, which is critically for us at present.

We simply have to stop building new teams every season, it’s cost a fortune. Ideally, you would bring in an Archie Knox, Craig Brown type person to help Nelms run the club. I understand some fans want Nelms out, but the reality he isn’t going anywhere, so we need realistic options to help him.

Good evening folks.

Strong feelings around my beloved Dens Park, hence joining your community tonight.

Firstly I would say the American owners have to admit and accept they need to seek expert professional footballing advice regarding McIntyre's replacement.

Otherwise their substantial financial investment will follow Dundee on  this ongoing downward spiral.

Interesting list of candidates though, most of which would be an improvement, imo.

Regards 

29 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Firstly I would say the American owners have to admit and accept they need to seek expert professional footballing advice regarding McIntyre's replacement.

what i'd like to know is who has been given them advice on our previous 2 managers as I find it highly unlikely nelms just picked mccanns name and went with him.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That 'has-been' can GTF. IMO.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

That 'has-been' can GTF. IMO.

He had a David Clarkson-esque renaissance, but he's largely been one of the biggest culprits in us going down. He shows his class here and there, but overall, a player of his standing has wasted far too many opportunities to see us take something and it's not like he's not had chances. He's the waste of space and the bad influence we thought he was when we signed him IMO.

Guest gregteamdee
18 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

what i'd like to know is who has been given them advice on our previous 2 managers as I find it highly unlikely nelms just picked mccanns name and went with him.

Agreed. But some fans just want to blame the Americans at every turn. They have made mistakes, however, the person or people advising them are to blame as well, along with the managers/players and current/former directors within the last 2/3 years. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Kenny Miller was  brutal today. Misplaced passes all game. It's looked to me for a while that his legs aren't doing what the brain's telling them. 

Ach well, at least we never signed him on a 2 year contract or anything stupid like that...

I'd be going after Hopkin. His Livi side ruthlessly fought their way out of the Championship. Can you imagine the current shower or chicken--hearted shite managing that? Weighorst would be great but I'm not sure he would want to take us over in the second tier, and would also be a bit of a gamble. The other candidates mentioned would be short-term appointments, ie guys who'll never be up to managing in the top tier. We need a guy who'll be able to build a team to get us out of the Championship and evolve it for the top tier. 

Obvs Nelms is probably going to extend McIntyre's contract, or give it to Kenny Miller or something.