Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

He did, he's about to have his already shite budget sliced in half, and ICT are openly trying to unload all their 'high' earners. Robbo knows it'll be a next to impossible task to improve ICTs position next season and wants to jump ship. I for one hope we accept their refusal to speak to him. 

I'd rather have Goodwin if we're going down the road of taking another Championship team's current manager.

Papers reporting you've approached Alloa about Goodwin.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Papers reporting you've approached Alloa about Goodwin.

Well at least Nelms seems to be casting the net about this time. The last time (if the rumours are true), the first guy that got Nelms on the phone - one Jim McIntyre - got the job. 

If the other rumour is true and that WGS is in fact interested in being the Technical Director of Fitba at Dundee one would think you'd want him in place first to help select the manager as the pair of them would be working hand in glove. So with that being said I think we need a pretty quick aye or nae out of Gordon because we need a new manager pretty sharpish.

However, despite WGS' ties to Dundee (1971-78) as a youth and first team pro AND the fact that his wife is Dundonian AND he now lives here for part of the year - I still cannae see it, but who knows.

I'd be shocked if Strachan came – not just because of the cost, surely, surely above Dundee's budget – but also the upheaval. If he stayed down south while managing Scotland, why would come north for a technical director role at Dundee in the Championship?

Perhaps it's a titular appointment – but even so,  implementing revolutionary ideas on youth development is going to cost a lot of money, just at the time other clubs are scrapping their youth academies. Is that the best way to spend whatever budget you have? Would any new manager, who needs to get Dundee back up in a season, be happy with this long-term approach?

And is Nelms making up his plans as he goes along? He's always tried to give the impression that he's working to some sort of long-term agenda, but something like this hasn't (that I've seen) been mentioned before.

And surely whatever value Strachan has, it's in working with first team players?  You'd be getting someone in oversee the development of young kids when he has zero experience of it. Didn't he put it all down to genetics anyway, which wouldn't fill me with confidence.

Edited by Mr Heliums

24 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'd be shocked if Strachan came – not just because of the cost, surely, surely above Dundee's budget – but also the upheaval. If he stayed down south while managing Scotland, why would come north for a technical director role at Dundee in the Championship?

Perhaps it's a titular appointment – but even so,  implementing someone's revolutionary ideas on youth development is going to cost a lot of money, just at the time other clubs are scrapping their youth academies. Is that the best way to spend whatever budget you have? Would any new manager, who needs to get Dundee back up in a season, be happy with this long-term approach?

And Nelms making up his plans as he goes along? He's always tried to give the impression that he's working to some sort of long-term agenda, but something like this hasn't (that I've seen) been mentioned before.

And surely whatever value Strachan has, it's in working with first team players?  You'd be getting someone in oversee the development of young kids when he has zero experience of it. Didn't he put it all down to genetics anyway?

A couple of things about the budget - Dundee's owners are worth upwards of 350m US$ so if adding a technical director helps sort out the club (on the pitch) where it really matters then in the long run it will be worth it. Even if Strachan only did it for a few years he may leave a legacy behind that we can use for the long term good of the club. 

The papers as usual have some things right and some things wrong. It is true that Strachan and Nelms are in discussions, but it would involve Strachan being involved as either a full fledged DoF (Technical Dir. or whatever term you give it) or a more casual role as an 'advisor'. Whatever the scenario he would be there to give advice from top to bottom, but the youths would not be the focus. He would be more focused on the first team, helping the manager and scouting about for players (all 6'4 inches in height or taller no doubt). 

Despite WGS' penchant for saying some daft things he would undoubtedly help sort us out, and the man must have quite a network of contacts in British football.

Oh and yes is the answer to the Nelms question. He is making it up as he's going along, just last week he said he wasn't really interested in bringing anyone on board as an advisor or DoF. He also said that the hiring 'criteria' that he said was now in place after he hired JM is not really in place in anymore (which is good because it was dumb). That's just how we roll at Dundee. 

The only good thing I can get out of any of this is that Nelms has realised that he has made a right horse's arse out of things and is trying to stop the rot. Will it all work out? Probably not I'm a Dundee supporter I always see disaster looming around every corner, but I live in hope.

Edited by CanadianDee

As much as I think getting a DOF is a bit of waste of wages at smaller clubs (no offence) I think it is has been proven the guys in charge do not know how to run the football side of things so getting somebody like Strachan in makes sense for a couple of years at least anyway.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As much as I think getting a DOF is a bit of waste of wages at smaller clubs (no offence) I think it is has been proven the guys in charge do not know how to run the football side of things so getting somebody like Strachan in makes sense for a couple of years at least anyway.

I dunno, while it's early days with our own DoF, the strategy behind it - that we'll never get caught cold again and lack continuity if and when a manager decides to bugger off - seems sound to me. We've had a revolving door of generally shite managers since 2014, but hit gold once with Jack Ross, yet him leaving left us in a right state.

You'd assume Dundee would be looking for something similar with WGS. Use his clout and his contacts to work the transfer market and scout (genetically appropriate) players.

1 hour ago, Livilion28 said:

What would be your views on Kenny miller getting job? Never worked at Livi for reasons not everyone knows but all the players seemed to really like him 

I'd say there's quite a good chance Kenny Miller will get the job if Strachan comes in. 

Robert Thomson of The Sun (Who is usually spot on tbf) saying that the final shortlist is:

Jim Goodwin
James McPake
Derek Adams
John Roberton
Kenny Miller.

That's the order I'd want them in as well.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If I was paying a big salary to Strachan then I'd want him to be the manager, because he's clearly better at that than any of the other names on the list.

He's been quoted as saying he's not interested in management. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Robert Thomson of The Sun (Who is usually spot on tbf) saying that the final shortlist is:

Jim Goodwin
James McPake
Derek Adams
John Roberton
Kenny Miller.

That's the order I'd want them in as well.

Swap Adams and Jazza and I'm good.