Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

"There doesn't seem to be a structure of where they want to go or what they want to do," said Duffy.

"If you employ a young manager and you say, 'this is where we want to go', you have to give him time. Failing that, say to a manager, 'there's a one-year contract, here's where we want to be. If you're there at the end of the season we'll keep you on'.

Erm, that's exactly what happened, Jim. :huh:

3 hours ago, dd23 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenny-miller-set-become-dundee-15500577

Anybody got a donkey i can pin the tail on?

(must be a wind up, must be, must be, must be....)

Looks like it's already deleted, seems it's a load of rubbish (thank Christ...)

A lot of managers get sacked harshly, Jim Mcintyre isn't one of them.

I think the sportsound guys (assuming that's where the quotes have come from) are being wilfully dishonest in their assessment there. If that was a foreign manager or someone they don't know then no way they'd be giving it that shite.

I can't believe Neil McCann is trotting out with, 'It's not right and it's not normal' that two managers have lost their job. Him being one. He was a disgrace.

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The comments were taken from BBC Sportsound...

Neil McCann spoke the most sense, surprisingly, however, his head is completely in the sand regarding his time at the club.

Jim Duffy was speaking about being in the Premiership for 4/5 seasons and looking for direction to go forward, that is exactly what the club have done, unfortunately the very poor managers have lead to the clubs direction being 180 from where we wanted it to go.

Billy Dodds was saying that the fans have unrealistic expectations, my expectations were not to be relegated nor have 10 successive defeats.

Its worth noting that last season, and the early part of this season, the media were pretty damning on McCanns team, played about OK, but nothing up front and a colander at the back would be a fair assessment, as soon as he is on the BBC they all change the tune to, it was close to clicking, you can see what you were trying to do etc. The media simply can not be trusted IMO. Its not just a DFC thing, its a Scottish fitba thing, they are falling over themselves to get Lennon the job at Celtic, ridiculous decision, Celtic need much better, they defended McLeish to the absolute ridiculous degree for Scotland etc etc Now they will put forward the usual media paly names for the job, Stubbs, Hughes etc

Our media is complicit with the downfall of our game as much as the SFA are, lower expectations, say failure is fine, downplay anything positive. Im sick of Scottish fitba, its rotten to the very core.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of managers get sacked harshly, Jim Mcintyre isn't one of them.

I think the sportsound guys (assuming that's where the quotes have come from) are being wilfully dishonest in their assessment there. If that was a foreign manager or someone they don't know then no way they'd be giving it that shite.

Abso fucking lutely correct.

5 minutes ago, srw said:

Abso fucking lutely correct.

Just find the comments bizarre.

I don't believe they are really baffled by the decision. Mcintyre was brought in as almost a Sam Allardyce figure, his objective was to keep Dundee in the league. He failed miserably and he's completely lost the support, not to mention the 10 defeats in a row.

Dodds unrealistic expectations comments make it sound like you just missed out on the top 6.

I just don't think for a second they really believe what they're saying there.

Edited by Dons_1988

Dodds is being a slavering mess as usual in that article, but am I giving Duffy and McCann too much credit to think that their comments are more about hiring someone above their abilities then sacking them when they inevitably fail?

That is to say, what's "not right" isn't that McIntyre was sacked, but that he was employed in the first place to do a job he was incapable of doing?

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't believe they are really baffled by the decision. Mcintyre was brought in as almost a Sam Allardyce figure, his objective was to keep Dundee in the league. He failed miserably and he's completely lost the support, not to mention the 10 defeats in a row.

Dodds unrealistic expectations comments make it sound like you just missed out on the top 6.

Don't underestimate people in football, some absolutely delusional thickos out there.

I think the comments on McCann were maybe more valid in the sense that, if you give a guy a job and encourage him to unearth non-league talent, it's going to be really tough going if you're heading into a season with a starting line-up full of inexperienced players. Maybe, you can say that he was pushed in that direction so we maybe should have given him more of a chance to continue his ideas and adapt a little bit with some more experienced players (as opposed to the complete abandonment) but personally, I think the damage was done and our only choice was a new man given how woefully balanced McCann's recruitment was in cover for each position - I couldn't see things getting much better.

That being said, playing devils advocate, I find it astonishing that there's any defence of McIntyre. If they knew how stupid they are sounding, they wouldn't be saying it. He had a really tough job IMO but he was well backed and failed in the worst possible way. The Dodds thing is just a bit of ammunition that they cling to, if he was that out of his depth without this one particular coach by his side; he really shouldn't be working as a football manager in the full-time leagues again.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

These clowns are talking as if Dundee were a plucky part time club amongst some full time teams i.e., Alloa. We've got the 6th biggest budget in the country, McIntyre was allowed to sign his buddies, given funds to pay off half of McCann's team, and to bring in 12 (TWELVE!) new players for fecks sake! They allowed him to buy a player under contract down south. The other managers in the bottom half of the table didn't have this luxury. He's made us worse than we were under McCann, IMO.

We won 4 games out of 31 with him in charge, and one of those games was the meaningless game this past weekend. This was also the first game where he put our two best strikers on the pitch from the start and where they promptly link up and score. We lost 10 in a row with him in charge. 

All of us Dees would have been relieved even happy to get to tenth this season. Some managers are treated unfairly, McIntyre sure as hell isn't one of them. Our fans have had the life beaten out of us the last few seasons so much so that JM didn't even face any real venom at Dens until the last home game.

This is absurd.

The defence of McIntyre is that he’s a manager who will get decent teams playing decent attacking football, but not one who will achieve great things when it’s a case of backs against the wall. So basically, the defence of McIntyre is that he was a ridiculous appointment.

Edit: the Dodds thing is important. Would things have been better if Dodds was appointed as assistant? Probably not, but the impression was that McIntyre wasn’t given the freedom to make his own decisions. It was a negative start to an inevitable failure and any “new managerial bounce”, if such a thing exists, was lost.

Edit2: The Dodds thing is also completely irrelevant. Dodds is an effective coach and, by surprisingly numerous accounts, an amiable guy, but it isn’t a case that because he wasn’t appointed, Dundee got relegated. He’s suddenly become the best assistant manager in history.

13 minutes ago, K.T said:

Going from McCann to McIntyre was like having a broken leg, going for an operation, then waking up to be told they’d amputated both your legs.

What will it be like when Kenny Miller is appointed?