Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:15, LiviLion said:

If Bradford weren't such a shambles behind the scenes he could have turned things around there. Kept an eye on what their fans were saying while he was in charge and they generally seemed to support him and believed he was turning things around from what I could see. Team full of shitebags losing every week (sound familiar?), turns into a team who show a bit of fight and can keep games tight and scrape a draw and eventually a team who can win games. They've won 10 league games all season, 7 of them were under Hopkin. They've lost every single game since he left too.

RE Martindale, he joined the club in 2014 and we've had John McGlynn and Mark Burchill during that time who were terrible, then it was Hopkin's turn (he was Burchill's assistant) and we were too skint/couldn't be arsed bringing anyone else in so just promoted Martindale to assistant. He was Miller's assistant too and that was a disaster, when we brought Holt in he talked about not changing what the players were good at (Miller tried to change the formation/system that worked a treat) and wanted us to get back to basics, so I don't think Martindale runs the show as much as people think. He just keeps us afloat with his drug money legally obtained income.

Second bit not really relevant to Dundee obviously, but if it came down to it then I think Hopkin would be a superb appointment for you, and I think he'd be interested as well tbh.

Imo Livi would be fecked without Martindale, he does huge amounts of work behind the scenes, virtually runs the club single handed, def has a big influence on things on the pitch too, incl training the players. It worked well with Hopkin because they both had the same ideals, as has Holt, I'd say Holt had to fit in with those ideals (of Martindale's) Miller didn't and was punted pretty sharply.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Imo Livi would be fecked without Martindale, he does huge amounts of work behind the scenes, virtually runs the club single handed, def has a big influence on things on the pitch too, incl training the players. It worked well with Hopkin because they both had the same ideals, as has Holt, I'd say Holt had to fit in with those ideals (of Martindale's) Miller didn't and was punted pretty sharply.

Can I asked why Martindale didn't just take on the job then? Prefer to be away from the spotlight or fans wouldn't take to that idea?

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can I asked why Martindale didn't just take on the job then? Prefer to be away from the spotlight or fans wouldn't take to that idea?

Yeah a lot of us asked that question too, doesn't seem to want to be at the forefront of things, and is quite happy being number two. It was him making the signing and getting the squad organised, did pre season training. Even ordered the strips while on his hols, though having listened to John Ward on andylivi's podcast that was last season but thought he did it this season too.

Was doing the reception, gets on top of any job needing done around the stadium really, think he organised the floodlights being upgraded and prob the pitch too. Ward said he hadn't been around the club for a wee while (think he was busy getting himself set up in his new venture) and it was Martindale running things at the stadium.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Yeah a lot of us asked that question too, doesn't seem to want to be at the forefront of things, and is quite happy being number two. It was him making the signing and getting the squad organised, did pre season training. Even ordered the strips while on his hols, though having listened to John Ward on andylivi's podcast that was last season but thought he did it this season too.
Was doing the reception, gets on top of any job needing done around the stadium really, think he organised the floodlights being upgraded and prob the pitch too. Ward said he hadn't been around the club for a wee while (think he was busy getting himself set up in his new venture) and it was Martindale running things at the stadium.

Can he play in midfield?

37 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:
1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can he play in midfield?

Prob be a decent winger, liked going down the line.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Is it healthy for one guy to have so much power at the club? Not just any guy, the assistant manager.

Seems bizarre. It has obviously worked so far but still.

What isn't healthy is just trusting one guy to do everything and having absolutely zero strategy or succession plan in place in the event that that one guy gets poached/walks out and takes his assistant with him. :whistle

On 22/04/2019 at 03:05, harry94 said:

Issue re Hopkin is that I'd be curious to know what the dynamic was at Livi with signings etc and how much Martindale played into it. Would be happy with the theory of it but just got a wee worry that things aren't all that they seem and Livi maybe had a unique model that we don't have.

I think Ian McCall or Goodwin would be respectable appointments on the face of it, McCall especially has demonstrated an ability to build squads and has shaken off his demons it seems. One of my pals plays under Goodwin and rates him massively, I think he'll have a decent career.

I'd be thinking about a director of football too, worth the salary if it gives some credibility to FPS. Hard to pick a criteria for that but I'd ideally want someone who is technically competent but maybe has the ability to be a ghost - think that's hard to evaluate being outwith the football world.

Goodwin or Hopkin blinfolded with their arms tied behind their backs (literally) would be better options going ahead than keeping the charlatan that is JM. Unfortunately Nelms has never heard of either one of them so it'll be JM in his ear telling him that this year was a lost cause when he took over, and nothing could be done to save it so he deserves the chance to sort everything out in the Championship and Nelms will or has already bought that line.

If Nelms does fire or JM resigns then Nelms will give the job to the first person that gets him on the phone, and that'll be Yogi Hughes.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Is it healthy for one guy to have so much power at the club? Not just any guy, the assistant manager.

And that's all before you factor in Wink Martindales side 'businesses'. 

22 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Maybe something to do with his past. Anyone watching the dugout can see he is the number one running things. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:26, sergie's no1 fan said:

Has been a big part of our recent success, and hopefully he can help get us to a position where he isn't relied on so much, and our fanbase grows. In our present position we are really reliant on not just Martindale, but the fans that do all the volunteer work, the club wouldn't have survived without them.