Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Dundee's Next Permanent Manager  

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Kenny Miller was  brutal today. Misplaced passes all game. It's looked to me for a while that his legs aren't doing what the brain's telling them. 

Ach well, at least we never signed him on a 2 year contract or anything stupid like that...

There is only one chance Kenny Miller will be with us next season, and that is if he is made player manager. And at this point nothing would surprise me, but I believe that Nelms will be keeping JM no matter what.

Miller will agree to a mutual termination of his contract as he views JM with contempt, and rightly so btw. As for Miller's play yesterday it was an abomination - couldn't take a pass, couldn't make a pass, played half the game behind his own midfielders. He's either lost his touch or has just flat out chucked it!

As for a new manager IF the position becomes available we've got to look at Goodwin and Hopkin instead of the old 'steady hands'. Both names mentioned in the former are guys that have proven they can survive and thrive competing in the Championship on much lower budgets than their rivals.

What Goodwin has done with  Alloa is tremendous as was Hopkin with Livi. Some people may point to Hopkins time with Bradford, but the record he put up with that basket case of a club would see the Dee comfortably ahead of Scamilton and the Maureens. Also the guy that replaced him there has half the winning % that he did when he resigned. And speaking of resigning - Hopking did the honourable thing when he felt he couldn't move the team forward - JM can ya hear pal? Do the right thing and get yourself a taxi and do one.

Unfortunately Nelms has literally never heard of Goodwin or Hopkin, and if the job is vacant he will hand it to the first person that gets him on the phone. So I will have Dens on speed dial - Dee Man fancy coming on board as my asst? I live local again after some time away, but could we tempt you back to save oor club??

5 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

There is only one chance Kenny Miller will be with us next season, and that is if he is made player manager. And at this point nothing would surprise me, but I believe that Nelms will be keeping JM no matter what.

Miller will agree to a mutual termination of his contract as he views JM with contempt, and rightly so btw. As for Miller's play yesterday it was an abomination - couldn't take a pass, couldn't make a pass, played half the game behind his own midfielders. He's either lost his touch or has just flat out chucked it!

As for a new manager IF the position becomes available we've got to look at Goodwin and Hopkin instead of the old 'steady hands'. Both names mentioned in the former are guys that have proven they can survive and thrive competing in the Championship on much lower budgets than their rivals.

What Goodwin has done with  Alloa is tremendous as was Hopkin with Livi. Some people may point to Hopkins time with Bradford, but the record he put up with that basket case of a club would see the Dee comfortably ahead of Scamilton and the Maureens. Also the guy that replaced him there has half the winning % that he did when he resigned. And speaking of resigning - Hopking did the honourable thing when he felt he couldn't move the team forward - JM can ya hear pal? Do the right thing and get yourself a taxi and do one.

Unfortunately Nelms has literally never heard of Goodwin or Hopkin, and if the job is vacant he will hand it to the first person that gets him on the phone. So I will have Dens on speed dial - Dee Man fancy coming on board as my asst? I live local again after some time away, but could we tempt you back to save oor club??

I reckon most of the posters on here could genuinely do a better job than McIntyre. It's almost impossible to do a worse job. 

Hopkin, Temuri or Weighorst would get me feeling confident and genuinely looking forward to coming Dens. Goodwin or McPake would be intriguing (ideally with an experienced No 2), McCall wouldn't come. The rest of them would be a bare improvement on the last couple of appointments. (That is, I believe, the very definition of damning with faint praise.)

36 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I reckon most of the posters on here could genuinely do a better job than McIntyre. It's almost impossible to do a worse job. 

You could quite literally just have the players organise themselves and give McPake last word on the starting eleven and then he can just sit in the dugout and not say a word and it would most certainly be better.

Only reservation I'd have about Hopkin would be is it him or was it his assistant at Livi that's really controlling things? They certainly don't seem to have missed him and he wasn't exactly a standout at Morton.

Need Ian McCall.

I know ex dab hasn't been a successful model as of late but he had the second smallest budget of his division and, although they have been poor lately, still did a great job over the year.

An actual manager with our budget would be automatic promotion first time.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Only reservation I'd have about Hopkin would be is it him or was it his assistant at Livi that's really controlling things? They certainly don't seem to have missed him and he wasn't exactly a standout at Morton.

If Bradford weren't such a shambles behind the scenes he could have turned things around there. Kept an eye on what their fans were saying while he was in charge and they generally seemed to support him and believed he was turning things around from what I could see. Team full of shitebags losing every week (sound familiar?), turns into a team who show a bit of fight and can keep games tight and scrape a draw and eventually a team who can win games. They've won 10 league games all season, 7 of them were under Hopkin. They've lost every single game since he left too.

RE Martindale, he joined the club in 2014 and we've had John McGlynn and Mark Burchill during that time who were terrible, then it was Hopkin's turn (he was Burchill's assistant) and we were too skint/couldn't be arsed bringing anyone else in so just promoted Martindale to assistant. He was Miller's assistant too and that was a disaster, when we brought Holt in he talked about not changing what the players were good at (Miller tried to change the formation/system that worked a treat) and wanted us to get back to basics, so I don't think Martindale runs the show as much as people think. He just keeps us afloat with his drug money legally obtained income.

Second bit not really relevant to Dundee obviously, but if it came down to it then I think Hopkin would be a superb appointment for you, and I think he'd be interested as well tbh.

5 hours ago, NEFarab said:

Weighorst gave United Safranko the fucking idiot :lol:

Surely that's a good recommendation? Or do you expect every former player to be out to get United ya fucking moonfruit? 

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surely that's a good recommendation? Or do you expect every former player to be out to get United ya fucking moonfruit? 

Well our former player is certainly doing a pretty good job at getting you lot so..... :lol:

15 minutes ago, NEFarab said:

Well our former player is certainly doing a pretty good job at getting you lot so..... :lol:

Wouldn't expect anything less. Dundee FC does seem to have a higher calibre of human.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd always be wary of managers like Hopkin. Sometimes people just "fit" and I feel like the players already there went perfectly with a more pragmatic style, be interested to see who he actually signed for Livingston. 

12 hours ago, Crawford said:

Need Ian McCall.

I know ex dab hasn't been a successful model as of late but he had the second smallest budget of his division and, although they have been poor lately, still did a great job over the year.

An actual manager with our budget would be automatic promotion first time.

Worth mentioning how reliant Ayr are on Shankland. His goals have been worth 10pts to them, which if removed would have them tied on points with 6th placed Morton. Never appoint a manager based on one good season.

Edited by RandomGuy.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd always be wary of managers like Hopkin. Sometimes people just "fit" and I feel like the players already there went perfectly with a more pragmatic style, be interested to see who he actually signed for Livingston. 

Worth mentioning how reliant Ayr are on Shankland. His goals have been worth 10pts to them, which if removed would have them tied on points with 6th placed Morton. Never appoint a manager based on one good season.

Take Shankland out of the equation, that's still Ayr United's best league performance in what 20 year or so?

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Take Shankland out of the equation, that's still Ayr United's best league performance in what 20 year or so?

Think they finished 2nd in the old 1st Division in 2001.

Edit - They had Eddie Annand, James Grady, Pat McGinley, Paul Sheerin etc.

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Probably says more about Ayr than McCall, and the state of that league with Falkirk and Partick, two big players in that division absolutely collapsing.

He got them relegated from the same division two years ago.

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

Has McCall not been pretty terrible everytime he's moved up to a 'bigger' club? 

Hes flavour of the month though.