East Kilbride v Cove Rangers - playoffs semifinal

To be fair, that says far more about the locals than the club. Imagine hating a team because part of their name is the same as another team they don't like.

If that genuinely stands in their way of being a community club then they are better off on their own.
Picking Rangers or Celtic as part of a club name is always going to be an issue in Scotland; surely you would agree?

Picking Rangers or Celtic as part of a club name is always going to be an issue in Scotland; surely you would agree?
Only if people are petty enough to make it an issue.

If there's some sort of clear affiliation with Rangers or Celtic then fair enough but if it's simply a name then there shouldn't be any sort of issue.

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair, that says far more about the locals than the club. Imagine hating a team because part of their name is the same as another team they don't like.

If that genuinely stands in their way of being a community club then they are better off on their own.

Doing so now might be an issue, but they were founded in 1922.

31 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is/was the Rangers part of Cove’s name a shout out to The Rangers?

I never think of Berwick Rangers being particularly, well Rangersy.

Cove, and the south side of Aberdeen in general, tends to have more Weegies than the rest of the city for obvious logistical reasons. Now if some Rangers fans came to work in the city and found a team, that play in blue and have Rangers in their name they may jump on this and word would soon spread that they are attracting Rangers fans. That would definitely put the Dons off.

19 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Cove, and the south side of Aberdeen in general, tends to have more Weegies than the rest of the city for obvious logistical reasons. Now if some Rangers fans came to work in the city and found a team, that play in blue and have Rangers in their name they may jump on this and word would soon spread that they are attracting Rangers fans. That would definitely put the Dons off.

I've never sensed even the slightest connection between Cove Rangers and their Glasgow namesakes.

7 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I've never sensed even the slightest connection between Cove Rangers and their Glasgow namesakes.

I haven’t at any game I’ve ever attended but prior to that I always, probably naively, considered them a NE Rangers type outfit.

Cove have sod all connection to Rangers bar the name. And the shirt colour. And the curious sense of entitlement.

Aberdeen supporters don’t go to watch them for the same reason they don’t go to watch Banks O’Dee or Culter or Hermes or whoever - because they’re Aberdeen supporters. Sure, you get some strays showing up if Aberdeen are out of town or form, but over the past four years that’s been difficult as Cove haven’t known from one week to the next where they’d be playing. Also, Aberdeen being pretty useful in recent seasons hasn’t helped.

Cove did try to go for bored Aberdeen fans back in the day and wanted the HFL to organise their home fixtures around Aberdeen’s but that idea went nowhere.