East Kilbride v Cove Rangers - playoffs semifinal

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:45, Chris_the_rover said:

I would take half the ek team no bother, malcom for a start, heard at the start of the season their budget was double ours

Well, considering ours was £50-£60K that wouldn`t be hard........

10 hours ago, big al said:

My only issue with EvK coming up is it’s just a local Astro pitch and a shit day out. We were standing 5 deep on a flat bit of Astro matting near a corner flag. It’s an away game I wouldn’t be bothered for they come up. I realise they have spoken about erecting a small stand if they come up but it’s still shit.

No sure what this means. They’ve had a stand along the side for years. Do you mean there was segregation when you were there?

FWIW, having seen both this season, I think they’ll beat Cove.

42 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

No sure what this means. They’ve had a stand along the side for years. Do you mean there was segregation when you were there?

It was just the seated stand when we were there although you could stand in a wee bit between the stand a pavilion.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
7 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:
What’s the capacity at K Park (or whatever it is called)? May head along to this.

660 with 440 seating (benches) as per nonleaguescotland site

Its bucket backless seats in the stand not benches think it only has 4 rows though and is quite shallow.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:40, geo87 said:

Why are the locals not behind EK? ...

Their ground is a bit out of the way, which doesn't help in visibility terms. Beyond that how many folk in Coatbridge support Albion Rovers rather than one of the Old Firm? They would need to be at Championship sort of level for a few years to start to be taken seriously by a lot of people.

Their ground is a bit out of the way, which doesn't help in visibility terms. Beyond that how many folk in Coatbridge support Albion Rovers rather than one of the Old Firm? They would need to be at Championship sort of level for a few years to start to be taken seriously by a lot of people.
As is the case with alot of non-league people have EK as their 'wee' team and a 'big' team. I was at an EK game that was same day as the Auld Firm & overheard plenty of chat about it plus plenty of use of 'we' & 'us'. Nothing against EK as its par the course for non-league in the west.

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

As is the case with alot of non-league people have EK as their 'wee' team and a 'big' team. I was at an EK game that was same day as the Auld Firm & overheard plenty of chat about it plus plenty of use of 'we' & 'us'. Nothing against EK as its par the course for non-league in the west.

To be fair, with East Kilbride it’s not just exclusively Rangers and Celtic fans that have that approach to them. I’ve lived in the town all my life and certainly don’t have the same disdain towards them that some East Kilbride natives have on this thread. But they were formed in 2010- why would I, for example, walk away from Morton after years of supporting them for EK? My generation never had a local senior team, and it’ll probably take generations for them to establish a hardcore. 25 years on, Livingston are still struggling with that.

Assuming they get past Cove and Morton don’t end up in the play offs, I’ll go along to the two Berwick games as an interested observer, but that’s the level they’re operating at, attracting locals with long established favourites to supplement a small hardcore.

I don’t think the locals can really be faulted for not backing the club when they’ve already supported other clubs long before East Kilbride were formed.

To be fair, with East Kilbride it’s not just exclusively Rangers and Celtic fans that have that approach to them. I’ve lived in the town all my life and certainly don’t have the same disdain towards them that some East Kilbride natives have on this thread. But they were formed in 2010- why would I, for example, walk away from Morton after years of supporting them for EK? My generation never had a local senior team, and it’ll probably take generations for them to establish a hardcore. 25 years on, Livingston are still struggling with that.
Assuming they get past Cove and Morton don’t end up in the play offs, I’ll go along to the two Berwick games as an interested observer, but that’s the level they’re operating at, attracting locals with long established favourites to supplement a small hardcore.
I don’t think the locals can really be faulted for not backing the club when they’ve already supported other clubs long before East Kilbride were formed.
It's also a minor factor but some in the town would already have EK Thistle as their 'wee' team who've been around since the 60's. Cumbernauld has a similar situation with Cumbernauld United having been around long before Cumbernauld Colts.

11 hours ago, The Mantis said:

There was a small stand with about 4 rows of seats. It was full, game was all ticket, and we were standing on flat astro at the end of the stand. 

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You'd think so wouldn't you but I doubt we've gained many new fans who regularly come to our games!

12 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

You'd think so wouldn't you but I doubt we've gained many new fans who regularly come to our games!

Difference there is that Cowdenbeath are established as a league club, whilst EK are an upcoming club with a much larger catchment, new stadium etc.

not meaning this as a dig at ‘Beath

19 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Seen EK a couple of times at K Park. Disappointed with the crowds tbh. Be better to develope the Showpark in the village with the station two minutes away.

Edited by Glenconner

Seen EK a couple of times at K Park. Disappointed with the crowds tbh. Be better to developer the Showpark in the village with the station two minutes away.
Clyde looking into doing such in 2011 when they were considering moving to the town but never came to anything. No idea what caused it to fail but a Clyde fan may able to shed light.

58 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, Glenconner said:
Seen EK a couple of times at K Park. Disappointed with the crowds tbh. Be better to developer the Showpark in the village with the station two minutes away.

Clyde looking into doing such in 2011 when they were considering moving to the town but never came to anything. No idea what caused it to fail but a Clyde fan may able to shed light.

A lot of rumours as far back as 40 years ago of Clyde moving to East Kilbride. Something about the then EK development corporation which ran the place being hyper about bringing Senior football to the town and with it the Glasgow 2. As time went on the EK dodgy crew was wound up more rumours surfaced. Strange claims about Rosebery at Oatlands and Glencairn’s Park came and went underneath the M74 motorway. Then there was the Shettleston/Clyde gig which came to nothing. Obviously it’s money as always that’s the problem with these schemes. Once the Dunn’s ginger mob pulled out it’s been an uphill battle ever since. Occasionally i’d go along to Shawfield twice on a Saturday for the football in the afternoon and back again at night for the greyhounds. Been in the place once since Clyde left.

Edited by Glenconner