Teams representing a county/region

Christophe

Something that struck me watching the Ayr-Ross Co match tonight, are there any other teams at U.K. senior level that are named after a wider county or region rather than their home town/city other than Ross County?

They are certainly unique in Scotland as far as I can see (at least down to SPFL level, and former teams thereof).....discounting East Stirlingshire and Heart of Midlothian as they specify an area within the region they take their name from....and I’m not sure we can count Clyde given they are so far removed now from their roots (before even getting into an argument over whether that name is a recognised  region/area or not).

Haven’t bothered looking through the English league pyramid but thought some on here might be aware of any others if there are any? 

Strathspey Thistle of the Highland League. 

West Juniors Glasgow Perthshire. 

Thirds were technically the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers Football Club. 

Hearts of Liddesdale are a defunct Borders League club but Tweeddale Rovers are still going.  

There are teams in the English pyramid called Punjab United FC and FC Romania. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Strathspey Thistle of the Highland League. 

West Juniors Glasgow Perthshire. 

Thirds were technically the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers Football Club. 

Hearts of Liddesdale are a defunct Borders League club but Tweeddale Rovers are still going.  

There are teams in the English pyramid called Punjab United FC and FC Romania. 

Sporting Bengal, Metropolitan Police...

Tweedmouth...

Ross County are in the County of Ross and Cormarty (formed by the combination of Ross-shire and Cormartyshire). 

Just below the SPFL are

Nairn County in the Highland League play in the County of Nairn.

Strathspey Thistle in the Highland League and Nithsdale Wanderers F.C. in the South of Scotland League, are named after districts that became parts of Counties.   

Orkney FC in the North Caledonian Football League named after the group of islands they play on. 

Just now, ajwffc said:

Ross County are in the County of Ross and Cormarty (formed by the combination of Ross-shire and Cormartyshire). 

Just below the SPFL are

Nairn County in the Highland League play in the County of Nairn.

Strathspey Thistle in the Highland League and Nithsdale Wanderers F.C. in the South of Scotland League, are named after districts that became parts of Counties.   

Orkney FC in the North Caledonian Football League named after the island they play on. 

a pedant writes: 

*cough* don't Orkney FC play on Mainland *cough*.  :geek

named after the archipelago they play within more like :D

15 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

There are loads in cricket. 

Strathmore  (Forfar) and Forfarshire (Broughty Ferry) come to mind.

In Football,

Derry City could count as one, as it representing County Derry. I know the city is also called Derry. Their rivals Finn Harps are named after the river Finn even though they play in Ballybofey.

Villarreal in Spain I'm sure represents a lot of Castellion as well as the village of Villa-real.

10 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Strathmore  (Forfar) and Forfarshire (Broughty Ferry) come to mind.

In Football,

Derry City could count as one, as it representing County Derry. I know the city is also called Derry. Their rivals Finn Harps are named after the river Finn even though they play in Ballybofey.

Villarreal in Spain I'm sure represents a lot of Castellion as well as the village of Villa-real.

The Finn River flows through Ballybofey.

Seniors:

In the South of Scotland, Upper and Mid Annandale, as well as already mentioned Nithsdale Wanderers (though I presume you'd rule these out in the same way as you rule out East Stirlingshire).

In the Highland League, Nairn County as mentioned but also Formatine and Deveronvale.

In the Lowland League, Vale of Leithen.

You could also make a case for Raith Rovers, representing the Raith Estate which stretched all the way from Lochgelly. 

Archived