Herman Hessian

things that are most disappointing

41 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Paris is an outstanding city, although I did see a tramp take a shit on the metro and proceed to wipe his arse with a soggy newspaper.

You were on the same train as Magee?

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

"The British" I don't think the Norther Irish, Welsh or Scots are intrested in England's wars

the vast majority of the archers in the 'British' armies at Crecy, Poiitiers and Agincourt were welsh (sic); the longbow was a welsh weapon (aka robbie savage)

there's a credible school of though that the French armies willingly capitulated in the hope that the 'Brits'  would up sticks and f**k off home, thereby putting an end to the interminable singing cf the zulu at rorke's drift...

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Enough about Paris. I thought Brussels was a total shit hole...

Brussels is a strange city, the Grand Place/Town centre is idyllic, at night when all the buildings are lit up it is stunning, one of the most picturesque cities ive ever visited in that respect, five minutes in a taxi however....jesus fucking wept :unsure2: some of the worst ghettos you will ever see.

We stayed in the actual district called Anderlecht, not far from the football ground and it fucking reeked, every second shop was a kebab shop, my abiding memory of that part of Brussels will always be of boxes of black, rotting fruit sitting outside shops and locals, many clearly poverty stricken buying them for pennies.

On the subject of shite things in Paris:

Mus%C3%A9e_du_louvre_mona_lisa.jpg

Eta:  Probably most disappointing for that guy filming it on his camcorder though.  He must be expecting her to come alive or something.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On the subject of shite things in Paris:

Mus%C3%A9e_du_louvre_mona_lisa.jpg

It's shite but turn around 180 degrees, look on the opposite wall and you'll see the infinitely more impressive 'The Wedding Feast at Cana', by Paolo Veronese. 

Image result for wedding at cana louvre

The Empire State Building is also shite.

You get up there and every view is obscured by metal bars.

empire-state-buildling-observatory-roof-

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

the vast majority of the archers in the 'British' armies at Crecy, Poiitiers and Agincourt were welsh (sic); the longbow was a welsh weapon (aka robbie savage)

there's a credible school of though that the French armies willingly capitulated in the hope that the 'Brits'  would up sticks and f**k off home, thereby putting an end to the interminable singing cf the zulu at rorke's drift...

Really even before Britain was a think? Didn't know that

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

empire-state-buildling-observatory-roof-

Top of the Rock is a far better option.

For one thing, you can see the Empire State Building from up there!

empire-state-buildling-observatory-roof-deck-EMPIRE1020.jpg&key=29ae372316ba5d52a0b1999804fa1ae8ef377aa726401161ac35d6822553da72

It's to keep Mexicans out

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Really even before Britain was a think? Didn't know that

take yer pick really, the concepts of Britain, England and Wales were all extant way before the 100 Years War, but I've no idea if the people living there identified themselves by using those names; that said, the nominal English definitely referred to the Welsh as - well - Welsh because that's the root of the name (it was the anglo-saxon word for the whole pre-Roman, native Briton population, of whom the Welsh were a constituent part, and applied to far more non-Germanic folk than just those that came from present-day Wales). The Roman name for the UK was Britannia - which included everything south of the Antonine Wall, so that was clearly known. England is far and away the most recent of the three, not being used until the 9th century and Cnut (cf robbie savage, again...) - from 1016 - was the first King to use the title Rex Angelorum.

not really sure what the relevance of any of that was, mind - history thread for this pish !

take yer pick really, the concepts of Britain, England and Wales were all extant way before the 100 Years War, but I've no idea if the people living there identified themselves by using those names; that said, the nominal English definitely referred to the Welsh as - well - Welsh because that's the root of the name (it was the anglo-saxon word for the whole pre-Roman, native Briton population, of whom the Welsh were a constituent part, and applied to far more non-Germanic folk than just those that came from present-day Wales). The Roman name for the UK was Britannia - which included everything south of the Antonine Wall, so that was clearly known. England is far and away the most recent of the three, not being used until the 9th century and Cnut (cf robbie savage, again...) - from 1016 - was the first King to use the title Rex Angelorum.

not really sure what the relevance of any of that was, mind - history thread for this pish !

I'm a simple man. I read an interesting post, I drop a greenie.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

The Angles must have been hard b*****ds to get the country named after them, thought there were far more Saxons never mind the Celts.

11 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Here's a fun relevant question: what nation on earth has won the most wars?

Macedonia?

Denmark?

On 19/04/2019 at 18:31, Herman Hessian said:

down in Wiltshire for the Easter weekend, so have fetched in a few bottles of Bath Ale's product with a view to supporting local producers

currently fighting my way through a bottle of Lansdown West Coast IPA - it's fucking awful, but luckily I have some McEwan's Champion Ale to take the taste away when i've finished it

have any other P&B'ers enthusiastically embraced indigenous culture whilst travelling to foreign parts, only to be left with the taste of diahorrea in their mouth ?

I have also drank beer previously. 

11 hours ago, Adam101 said:

France fought 168 won 109 drawn 10 lost 49 although I'm not sure how reliable the Toriegraph is because the next quote in the article freely exchanges a Country (Britain) with a a Provence that has not parliament, bespoke laws or even a national anthem of their own that they use all the time:

"The British tend to be rather selective about the battles they remember. Every English schoolboy was once able to recite the roll call of our glorious wins at Crécy (1346), Poitiers (1356) and Agincourt (1415), but no one’s ever heard of the French victories at Patay (1429) and (especially) at Castillon (1453), where French cannons tore the English apart, winning the Hundred Years War and confirming France as the most powerful military nation in Europe."

Are they better away from home?

I'd say Bangkok but I didn't have high hopes before going. Same with Marrakesh, fucking hole full of swindlers.

Crainlarich for me, fucking nothing there yet it gets a solid mention on every map of Scotland. Fucking told the mayor that his town was pish.

3 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

The Roman name for the Island , was Britannia ( hence the big island was great Britannia and the wee one lesser Britannia ) given they kept failing to win it all and built a couple of walls ( these were the ONLY defended teritory  on the northern Roman borders ) 

just to keep it all spot on