things that are most disappointing

The pyramids.

The place is an actual rubbish dump that the locals, who live almost entirely off of it, don't appreciate or deserve. Also still seething that a taxi driver dumped me a mile away from them at his brother's donkey ride shack in some shitehole suburb. 

Being handily located beside both the Med' and the Gulf of Suez, Cairo can get right in the f***ing sea. 

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

The pyramids.

The place is an actual rubbish dump that the locals, who live almost entirely off of it, don't appreciate or deserve. Also still seething that a taxi driver dumped me a mile away from them at his brother's donkey ride shack in some shitehole suburb. 

Being handily located beside both the Med' and the Gulf of Suez, Cairo can get right in the f***ing sea. 

In fairness, we've got a fair amount of their treasures in the British museum!

Belfast

I didn't have high expectations but even by the standards of down at heel former shipyard towns that place makes Glasgow and Newcastle look like New York*

Still better than Sunderland though. So that's something

* "New York, New York" as opposed to "New York, North Tyneside near Whitley Bay" which could be the most disappointing weekend break conceivable

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 20/04/2019 at 21:06, Stellaboz said:

Crainlarich for me, fucking nothing there yet it gets a solid mention on every map of Scotland. Fucking told the mayor that his town was pish.

We stopped at Crianlarich on the way to Oban to give the baby an emergency nappy change in the toilets of some ostensibly posh hotel. It wasn't a very impressive place.

If you're ever in Gateshead, don't visit the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art. We went once. The exhibits included a pair of spectacles and a scrunched-up black binbag on the ground (at least I assume the binbag was meant to be an exhibit - people were clustered around it with cameras).

How can something be classified as art if it doesn't take at least one of time, skill and quality material to produce, or have some sort of meaning that isn't purely subjective to the viewer?

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The pyramids.

^^^ surprised that Cairo isn't a theme park.

6 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Aberdeen has the bypass now, so there’s now no need to ever  go there. 

When will Dundee get one?   The Kingsway is the equivalent of what Anderson Drive is/was - a ring road from the 60s, but inadequate now.   Now we have the AWPR, bring on the DNPR.

To contribute to the theme of the thread - I've heard second hand reports the V&A on the Tay comes into this category, but will make my own mind up at some point.

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

When will Dundee get one?   The Kingsway is the equivalent of what Anderson Drive is/was - a ring road from the 60s, but inadequate now.   Now we have the AWPR, bring on the DNPR.

To contribute to the theme of the thread - I've heard second hand reports the V&A on the Tay comes into this category, but will make my own mind up at some point.

I'm with you on the V&A. While I don't hate it and I'm glad it's there I would say that I expected more....

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

^^^ surprised that Cairo isn't a theme park.

I've been to a few major 2nd / 3rd world cities before and dealt with them for what they are without any issue, sense of expectation or superiority complex (in fact, I  rather enjoyed being there).  However, Cairo was a standout hive of scum and villainy (and it does look a bit like Mos Eisley come to think about it).  I'm really struggling to remember a single positive about the place.

My lasting memory of the trip was sipping G&Ts on the hotel balcony, watching one of their government buildings burn down as a single helicopter filled up a bucket with water from the Nile in a lengthy yet predictably futile attempt to put it out.  Funnily enough, the whole building was reduced to a pile of smouldering rubble.   Naturally I took a picture, this one catching the water falling out the bucket (probably evaporated before it touched the fire):

Capture.PNG.95cbbd305bd038c30e3d5e93f6adfdad.PNG

Bloody Westerners, going over there, enjoying alcoholic drinks with the best view of a 3rd world Islamic country's infrastructure being burned to a f***ing crisp.

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Venice, didn't see the hype with it at all. Dirty, a bit run down, too many tourists and most things were vastly overpriced.

^^^ tourist complaining about there being "too many tourists".

source.gif

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I am regularly guilty of this tbf. I fucking hate fellow tourists.

Tbf, there are tourists and then there are tourist-tourists.  The latter will just follow whatever the guidebook said to do like slow moving zombies, take pictures of everything (random f***ing ugly statues for example) and generally act like they left their brain back at home.  However, the worst ones by a country mile are the tourist-tourists that think they're the tourists.

Back in Scotland, and from first hand experience in tourism, older Weegies are typically pretty bad for this if they travel north of the line drawn from Dundee to Oban.  Pretty much tourist-tourists that refuse to be seen as tourists, sometimes with evident self entitlement over the Germans & Dutch they're rubbing shoulders with.  Strangers in their own country basically, and it shows.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, there are tourists and then there are tourist-tourists.  The latter will just follow whatever the guidebook said to do like slow moving zombies, take pictures of everything (random f***ing ugly statues for example) and generally act like they left their brain back at home.  However, the worst ones by a country mile are the tourist-tourists that think they're the tourists.

Back in Scotland, and from first hand experience, older Weegies are typically pretty bad for this if they travel north of the line drawn from Dundee to Oban.  Tourist-tourists that refuse to be seen as even the good-guy tourists.  Strangers in their own country.

I think my general issue are the ones who seem to treat foreign cities as an attraction that's been built for them, and so long as they paid their flight and accommodation, are free to enjoy it as they see fit as paying customers.

I've also lost count of the amount of tourist attractions I've been to where I've just felt that my enjoyment of it would've been infinitely better if they'd reduced the number of people they crammed in at one time by at least like 25%.