things that are most disappointing

Only happy memories for me travelling in France. The most jarring experience I have had entering a country in Europe was from Luxembourg into Belgium. Instantly it went from being beautifully cared for countryside to rubbish everywhere, and unkempt - reminiscent of Central Scotland in fact! The Belgian services roadside going up through the Ardennes made some of the French Aires look positively 5 star.  In the time since, I have come to appreciate Belgium for its cycling history but not rushing back!

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Here's a fun relevant question: what nation on earth has won the most wars?

France fought 168 won 109 drawn 10 lost 49 although I'm not sure how reliable the Toriegraph is because the next quote in the article freely exchanges a Country (Britain) with a a Provence that has not parliament, bespoke laws or even a national anthem of their own that they use all the time:

"The British tend to be rather selective about the battles they remember. Every English schoolboy was once able to recite the roll call of our glorious wins at Crécy (1346), Poitiers (1356) and Agincourt (1415), but no one’s ever heard of the French victories at Patay (1429) and (especially) at Castillon (1453), where French cannons tore the English apart, winning the Hundred Years War and confirming France as the most powerful military nation in Europe."

Sundays are most disappointing. Plan to have a chilled out day, maybe go for a walk, have some food and watch the football.

But the games are usually poor then the Monday morning dread kicks in immediately after the 4pm game ends.

You’re doing it wrong if you’re getting the fear at 4 pm on the Sunday. Maybe try and tie everything up on the Friday so you know exactly what you’re doing on the Monday and you won’t get the fear so much.

56 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

^^^ Stayed in the tinky bit.

St Christophers.....not the most salubrious suburb of Paris to be fair.

All over the city though had a general feel of unease about, pickpocketing and muggings are problems everywhere there and heard of several instances of it.

44 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

France fought 168 won 109 drawn 10 lost 49 although I'm not sure how reliable the Toriegraph is because the next quote in the article freely exchanges a Country (Britain) with a a Provence that has not parliament, bespoke laws or even a national anthem of their own that they use all the time:

"The British tend to be rather selective about the battles they remember. Every English schoolboy was once able to recite the roll call of our glorious wins at Crécy (1346), Poitiers (1356) and Agincourt (1415), but no one’s ever heard of the French victories at Patay (1429) and (especially) at Castillon (1453), where French cannons tore the English apart, winning the Hundred Years War and confirming France as the most powerful military nation in Europe."

No penalty shoot outs for the draws?

On Paris, been a few times, Charles De Gaulle airport is shite, horrible. But we enjoyed walking around places like Sacre Coure (sorry if my spelling is pish), Louvre and the wee neighbourhoods around Paris are awesome. It was hard finding good places to eat where we stayed but ultimately that was our fault for not researching it enough. Took our wee guy to Eurodisney in January and for the value for money (4 nights in hotel, park tickets, flights and all our food =£800) was excellent and we really enjoyed the parks, especially in the snow. There are some shitty parts of Paris but there are far more in London etc. The french people are decent so long as you give a bit of french a go (ordering food/asking for the bill and general basic stuff), they appreciate you trying.
Id say London is my most disappointing city, Edinburgh close second.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Here's a fun relevant question: what nation on earth has won the most wars?

America, because they either pick them against smaller nations or, in the big ones, stay out until they see who's winning before getting involved. The one time they went in early against a decent-sized enemy (Vietnam) they got skelped.

Guest Moomintroll
I was a bit disappointed by Copenhagen seeing as we're talking about this kind of thing.
I thought it was really nice, especially down by the canals & the mad hippie bit. What was disappointing was my bank balance when I got home.

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

What's your thoughts on Belgium, Holland, Norway, Denmark, Greece, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, etc   etc you slavering halfwit?

The French people are no different to anyone else, some good folk some bad folk, cest la vie.

Oh and Paris is fucking magnificent.

If it wasn't for the north sea Britain wouldn't have lasted a fortnight in 1939.  Absolutely on our knees militarily when war broke out.

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

I don't believe those wars involved Britain at all