things that are most disappointing

I think part of my problem with superhero films is you know pretty much from the outset how it is going to go yet they kick the arse out of them. I watched the critically acclaimed Black Panther film and about one hour into a 2 hour 15 min running time it's all "Oh no, Black Panther is dead, whatever shall we do". Then 1 hour 45 min in it's "Oh yay Black Panther is back but surely he cannot defeat the villainous villain Creed" then at 2 hour 15 it's "Wow, Black Panther defeated the villainous villain Creed".  I can't remember there being anything particularly noteworthy, funny or interesting about the characters and dialogue on the journey from minute 1 to minute 135. 

I actually think most Pixar films are infinitely better than the repetitive formulaic superhero blockbusters being churned out at the moment so insulting them by calling them kids' films maybe isn't fair.

I think part of my problem with superhero films is you know pretty much from the outset how it is going to go yet they kick the arse out of them. I watched the critically acclaimed Black Panther film and about one hour into a 2 hour 15 min running time it's all "Oh no, Black Panther is dead, whatever shall we do". Then 1 hour 45 min in it's "Oh yay Black Panther is back but surely he cannot defeat the villainous villain Creed" then at 2 hour 15 it's "Wow, Black Panther defeated the villainous villain Creed".  I can't remember there being anything particularly noteworthy, funny or interesting about the characters and dialogue on the journey from minute 1 to minute 135. 
I actually think most Pixar films are infinitely better than the repetitive formulaic superhero blockbusters being churned out at the moment so insulting them by calling them kids' films maybe isn't fair.
Nae point watching Black Panther now then.

Thanks for that.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Nae point watching Black Panther now then.

Thanks for that.

Spoiler for every superhero film ever - the guy the film is named after defeats the evil bad guy who initially appears to be winning. 

4 hours ago, nsr said:

My dad can't watch any film set in space without complaining that you wouldn't be able to hear any sound nor would the ships need to bank around a planet.

Almost anything you see on the television, at the cinema or on a stage will involve something called "simulated dialogue" or "simulated conversation".

Basically it is when everybody knows exactly what they are going to say before they say it, nobody says "er" or "um, everybody finishes their sentences, nobody interrupts and nobody talks over anyone else.
It doesn't happen all the time but certainly far more than real life.
Also there are the extras who are not being paid to say anything so they remain silent.

So if your dad wants to be totally pedantic about everything being realistic - he will have to give up watching any films at all.

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

So if your dad wants to be totally pedantic about everything being realistic - he will have to give up watching any films at all.

I kind of wish he would.

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Basically it is when everybody knows exactly what they are going to say before they say it, nobody says "er" or "um, everybody finishes their sentences, nobody interrupts and nobody talks over anyone else.

Tbf, if you ever see written transcripts of real-life conversations, even among intelligent people, they're incredibly dull and awkward sounding. That type of dialogue doesn't translate well to scripted conversation (although some film-makers have tried). To add to your point though, it's rare that anything happens on-screen without reason. If someone sneezes it's only because a) they have a cold or b) to give away their hiding place.

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Tbf, if you ever see written transcripts of real-life conversations, even among intelligent people, they're incredibly dull and awkward sounding. That type of dialogue doesn't translate well to scripted conversation (although some film-makers have tried). To add to your point though, it's rare that anything happens on-screen without reason. If someone sneezes it's only because a) they have a cold or b) to give away their hiding place.

I presume you have watched the film "The taking of Pelham 123" - the original with Walter Matthau not the remake with John Travolta.

It contains a sneeze of some importance to the storyline.

Oh and in keeping with the theme of this thread - the remake was disappointing!

Edited by Fullerene

Cant believe black panther won awards. PC brigade bs. It's an all black cast so groundbreaking. Its shite.

On 29/04/2019 at 11:19, D.A.F.C said:
On 24/04/2019 at 15:09, The OP said:

Cant believe black panther won awards. PC brigade bs. It's an all black cast so groundbreaking. Its shite.

:lol:

Edgelord found. It didn't have an all black cast either.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Agreed. One of the worst superhero movies made.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:19, D.A.F.C said:
On 4/24/2019 at 15:09, The OP said:

I quite enjoyed Everything Wrong with Black Panther on Youtube. The film looks like infantile nonsense but film journalists were never going to criticise it just in case somebody equated their opinion with racism.

Superhero films are wildly popular and invariably shite was the overarching point btw, I used Black Panther as an example as it was lauded and the most recent one I watched but it could apply to any of the numerous Something-Man films with a mainly white cast which get great reviews and break box office records. The notable exceptions are The Dark Knight which was much better than usual but still overrated or Kick Ass which was pretty good.

The Rangers Football Club Tribute Act 2012. 

A miraculously horrific and mere imitation of what was once a successful and famous football club.  Given all the money thrown into the tribute act, you'd have thought they'd have achieved something by now.  

Wonderfully disappointing.

there were a lot of things wrong with Black Panther. Few were worse than casting Tim from the office as an action hero CIA agent.

It was a movie that didn’t really deliver on things like plot, dialogue and characters but looked great and innovative visually

Which is what Black Panther’s oscars were for

Music, costume design and production design

And if it makes you feel any better

the composer and set designer were white dudes

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

there were a lot of things wrong with Black Panther. Few were worse than casting Tim from the office as an action hero CIA agent.

It was a movie that didn’t really deliver on things like plot, dialogue and characters but looked great and innovative visually

Which is what Black Panther’s oscars were for
Music, costume design and production design

And if it makes you feel any better
the composer and set designer were white duded

He was cast in that role before Black Panther (in Captain America: Civil War).

I do the enjoy folk furiously insisting that they're kids films, despite evidence to the contrary. The attempts at condescension and the patronising are very transparent.

Just come out and say you think folk who watch them are morons and that you consider yourselves above them intellectually. Stop dancing around the issue.

Edited by DA Baracus