Is the SPFL getting better?

Since the early 90s, when Scottish clubs tried to emulate the success of Rangers by spending big on foreign talent with money they simply didn't have, there has arguably  been a dark age in terms of the standard of player, financial muscle and overall quality of product in our top league.  We have seen plenty of clubs go through administration, even liquidation in two instances.  Transfer fees spent by non OF clubs became something of a rarity and some our big clubs went through relegation, stagnation and uncertainty for many a year. 

Looking at the league now, particularly at the strength of the squads (its not that rare now to see a team come at the old firm in pursuit of a result instead of merely trying to contain them ), the lack of  overall debt of the clubs enabling them to invest in facilities, playing squad and background staff and finally, european performance. We have had the best year since 2007/08 in europe which could see us have later entry going forward in european competition.

It's not perfect, and its not without it's problems however, 

are we heading for a new period of success for the SPFL? 

Using this year's UEFA coefficient as a marker , yes. 10th best league in Europe on this 1 stand alone season, but that needs to be done consistently over 5 years or more to see a big improvement. 

The current set up works well. Competitive in the lower leagues and lots to play for.

23 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

All four divisions?

The Championship is the weakest I can remember for a long time.

I have not seen one really good team this year and although Ross County are deserved champions I’ve not been impressed with them. 

A couple of years ago, the league had guys like McGinn, Vaulks, McGeough for example who have all gone on to play at a higher level, and in the case of the first two, play international football. There is nowhere near that class of player now.

I see it getting worse with more and more part time teams likely to be in the league.

The Championship is the weakest I can remember for a long time.
I have not seen one really good team this year and although Ross County are deserved champions I’ve not been impressed with them. 
A couple of years ago, the league had guys like McGinn, Vaulks, McGeough for example who have all gone on to play at a higher level, and in the case of the first two, play international football. There is nowhere near that class of player now.
I see it getting worse with more and more part time teams likely to be in the league.
Mcgeouch and Mcginn were in the league because Hibs were paying top 6 Premiership wages.

European performances would suggest things are getting slightly better - albeit with Europe coming at you so quick, you can be papped out before you get a chance to get a settled squad with all the recruits onboard.

As for the sides we play - we seem to have had less very easy games than previous seasons, despite the league suggesting there are three sides much worse than everyone else.

I think the peak was 2007/08 season and we're nowhere near back to that level.

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Teams at home are much better in the top tier.
Would still like to see more teams in the top tier plus just home and away fixtures.
Feck this 4 times a season pish. 18 or 20 top tier.

That would be horrendous. 

By Christmas so many teams would have nothing to play for.

The difference between the top league and the league below would be vast. 

In May you could be playing Celtic in front of 55,000 and the next game be at Brechin with 500. 

Everyone at the second level would need to be part time.

38 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

That would be horrendous. 

By Christmas so many teams would have nothing to play for.

The difference between the top league and the league below would be vast. 

In May you could be playing Celtic in front of 55,000 and the next game be at Brechin with 500. 

Everyone at the second level would need to be part time.

More dosh for the teams at the bottom of the top tier.

No problem with part time teams in the top tier if they get promotion.

imo the standard is getting worse every season...teams look on 6th as a great season...10 of the 12 teams will never get near winning it....most of that 10 can easily go down...crap football due to fear of being relegated and the carnage that follows relegation...to cut a long story short its shit.

9 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

imo the standard is getting worse every season...teams look on 6th as a great season...10 of the 12 teams will never get near winning it....most of that 10 can easily go down...crap football due to fear of being relegated and the carnage that follows relegation...to cut a long story short its shit.

My Team: Dundee.

Figures.

8 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

were you not in the play offs 2 seasons ago and will probably be hovering about the bottom again after Clarke said he'd love the Scotland job..

Absolutely. But to say Scottish football is shite just cos your team is shite is a pretty weird attitude to take. 

1 minute ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Absolutely. But to say Scottish football is shite just cos your team is shite is a pretty weird attitude to take. 

but im not just saying it cos my team is shite...you were the one who brought my team into it...the product up here is poor and it aint gonna get better any time soon im afraid.

Just now, Meeniedee said:

but im not just saying it cos my team is shite...you were the one who brought my team into it...the product up here is poor and it aint gonna get better any time soon im afraid.

I mean, you're completely wrong in my opinion. But enjoy the relegation battle.

3 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

i'll try my best ….but i'd put money on that 2/3 years ago you were also of the opinion that the Scottish game is shite.

I honestly didn't think that. I thought Killie were shite, and we were. But I've enjoyed the game up here for many a year and wouldn't give the EPL the time of day.