Journalist killed in Derry riots

ICTChris

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is it not that the city is Derry but the County is Londonderry?

Possibly but Im sure the media agreed a few years back that it would be referred to as Derry/Londonderry in the interests of peace.  The BBC were interchanging between Derry and Londonderry this morning like no fucks were given anyhow,

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is it not that the city is Derry but the County is Londonderry?

Both are legally still Londonderry but the local government district is called Derry and Strabane. In my experience most people call it Derry but that might just be the people I was mixing with.

I shared a flat with someone from Derry and she said the first time she was ever corrected on it was at the RBS on Argyle Street by a receptionist who said "I think you'll find it's Londonderry" when she said where she came from. :lol:

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not necessarily.

image.png.c87c77736e513b75a7de2877d0e4de17.png

Fair enough.. just something I noticed when having a look this morning on the net, skynews, telegraph went with Londonderry, Irish Indo, herald etc went with Derry..  I think most people just refer to it as Derry apart from Hardcore Unionists obviously when speaking in public.. ha

Edited by Bohemian

Sometimes how it gets handled with outlets like the BBC is that the first official mention of the city will be as Londonderry then the journalist switches to using Derry colloquially, so it isn't necessarily an obsessive use of one over the other. This only became an issue in the last few decades after all and further back nobody on the Unionist side of things would have thought twice about being called something like the Apprentice Boys of Derry.

3 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Fair enough.. just something I noticed when having a look this morning on the net, skynews, telegraph went with Londonderry, Irish Indo, herald etc went with Derry..  I think most people just refer to it as Derry apart from Hardcore Unionists obviously when speaking in public.. ha

I was over regularly to see my girlfriend who was working there in the eighties and got teased mercilessly by taxi drivers and the like asking what I called it. One b*****d had a tape of the final shooting scene in Bonny and Clyde that he played as we approached an army checkpoint on the bridge between the mainly Protestant and mainly Catholic bits of Derry, I nearly shat myself.

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was over regularly to see my girlfriend who was working there in the eighties and got teased mercilessly by taxi drivers and the like asking what I called it. One b*****d had a tape of the final shooting scene in Bonny and Clyde that he played as we approached an army checkpoint on the bridge between the mainly Protestant and mainly Catholic bits of Derry, I nearly shat myself.

:lol: I can beat that.  I lived and worked in Dublin for a while and meet a girl from Enniskillen at a festival, hit it off so I used to go up there every weekend, perfect, dirty weekends didn't have to listen to her during the week ;) her family was Catholic but lived just beside a loyalist estate which I had to drive through with a southern registration on the car, daunting.. anyway her dad worked for the British army as a cook and her brother was in the RUC at the time, and her Mother was dating an ex British soldier living in Belfast.. proper Jeremy Kyle stuff. Her dad used to check under his car every morning.. poor fella was under threat from both sides, never took a lift off him....:lol: different world up the there.. 

#memorylaneP&B'ers 

Edited by Bohemian

3 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Does Derry have it's own police service?

I don’t think it does.

Does PSNI still have a reputation of being far more sympathetic to the Unionist cause than the Republican one?

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Dissident Republicans getting ripped apart on their Facebook page for claiming that the murderer was protecting the community.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Political-Party/Junior-McDaid-House-593220824435427/

It's exactly the same sort of statement that these people and their representatives give every time there's a killing.   Good to see local people getting them telt.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's exactly the same sort of statement that these people and their representatives give every time there's a killing.   Good to see local people getting them telt.

Yeah I’m sure a “telt” on Facebook will make them reconsider their position.