Journalist killed in Derry riots

ICTChris

Don't normally ascribe to grief merchant patter at times like these but i watched a ted talk by the lassie this morning and couldn't help being a bit sad. She seems a right good sort who spent her life to trying to make the world more tolerant.  Harsh for someone like that to die so young anyway

I fully expect the green brigade to belt out the usual pish when we play them on Sunday.  What boils my piss is it’s easy, really fucking easy to be support the republican or unionist cause when you cut about the streets of East Kilbride or Irvine.  Not so much over in where it actually has an impact on life.

You have to laugh at that saoradh statement mentions the accidental killing.  Aye shooting a gun multiple times is just a wee bit of fun.  Fannies.  

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

...What boils my piss is it’s easy, really fucking easy to be support the republican or unionist cause when you cut about the streets of East Kilbride or Irvine...

Basically agree but loyalist rather than unionist would probably have been better phrasing. Nothing inherently wrong with being unionist or a constitutional nationalist. Both are legitimate political aspirations.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Both are legally still Londonderry but the local government district is called Derry and Strabane. In my experience most people call it Derry but that might just be the people I was mixing with.

All too predictable that certain cranks on here would try to pigeonhole you based on that comment. Have wound up being in contact with various distant relatives from that part of the world in recent years after getting into genealogy in a big way, and couldn't help noticing that they always refer to the city as Derry despite being on the red, white and blue side of things.  It seems to only really be an issue in official contexts.

Flew into LDY recently and Ryanair called it 'Derry/Londonderry'.

Walked from the hotel to the sports centre last year and there was a lot of graffiti saying PSNI not welcome and this was in an area with red, white, blue kerbstones.

No graffiti this year visible though on the same walk.

Note - this was not one of those walks just walking from hotel to sports centre for an actual sporting event.

27 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Flew into LDY recently and Ryanair called it 'Derry/Londonderry'.

Walked from the hotel to the sports centre last year and there was a lot of graffiti saying PSNI not welcome and this was in an area with red, white, blue kerbstones.

No graffiti this year visible though on the same walk.

Note - this was not one of those walks just walking from hotel to sports centre for an actual sporting event.

9 hours ago, greenockraver said:

sending the PSNI into derry for this reason was always going to cause issues.

The ignorance of people who don't live there but think they know all about it is astonishing.

6 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

I made no attempt at stating I knew anything about it just pointing out what Ryanair called it and somethings I saw whilst over there.

I made no opinion of it in my post.

I was referring to Greenockraver's post and using yours to back me up in saying that things in Stroke City aren't as simple as people from Boston (say) think. Sorry to be unclear.

Edited by welshbairn

There was a theatre show touring  Scotland and Ireland recently called DUPed, written by a Northern Irish playwright called JohnMcCann; he's based in Dundee. The writer wanted to revisit Ulster to try and understand the current political and social climate and what part the DUP are playing in it.

The show consisted of first hand accounts of scenarios he encountered growing up in the North during the 70s and 80s. As well as this, he also conducted and recorded a number of interviews with different actors in the political scene, one of them was Lyra McKee who spoke eloquently and passionately about the work needing to be done to create dialog between opposing communities, not just in Derry, but across the whole country. She came across as an extremely intelligent and empathetic human being who, like a number of her generation, are determined to show their leaders that the sectarian politics of old have no place in an inclusive and modern society.  The fact she has now been murdered 2 weeks after I watched this show is a bleak reminder of how much work needs to be done, even just to get opposing politicians to talk to each other in a constructive and respectful manner; it's very depressing. 

In addition, the writer is going back to Ulster this Spring/Summer to interview DUP Politicians, and Politicians of other parties as a follow up show he is aiming to perform at the Edinburgh Festival this year. I'm not his agent by the way, or him; I just thought it might appeal to some on here who have an interest in the subject.

On 4/19/2019 at 13:56, Granny Danger said:

Does PSNI still have a reputation of being far more sympathetic to the Unionist cause than the Republican one?

The PSNI was formed as part of the Good Friday Agreement that involved the SDLP and Sinn Fein, in order that it might escape the baggage of it's predecessor, the RUC. Where it's current sympathies are perceived to lie depends on who you ask. A lot of dissident Republicans consider them to be the latest group of British Colonial Oppressors. A lot of loyalists consider them to be Sinn Fein puppets - a quick google search for the term 'PSNIRA'. As usual with Northern Ireland, you pick a side first, and then you use that for shaping your perception of how the world works afterwards.