It's getting hot in here!

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is like claiming the bookies are wrong whenever an outsider wins a sporting event. That's why they're consistently going out of business due to massive losses, I suppose.

I wasn't being entirely serious btw

Temperatures have topped 38C in the heatwave in England. The Met Office said the hottest place at 4pm was Santon Downham, Suffolk, where the mercury hit 38.1C

There is a small chance that somewhere will top that at 17:00 but still it means that we are close to the highest ever temperature recorded in the UK (38.7C) with tomorrow likely to be the warmer day. More worrying tonight may have lows of 24C. This will mean people will struggle to cool over night. UK houses are really not made for this so many will have rooms with much higher temperatures. This is not a huge deal as this is a short burst of heat. But when you get these high lows over extended periods it leads to. a big jump in deaths in the elderly. This can be mitigated as these temperatures are more normal elsewhere but these countries tend to design houses to cool not to retain heat over night, but that will take time and work. 

The impact on transport, work,  schools etc certainly justifies a high warning level. Its the point of introducing these coloured warnings so that people whos role it is to plan for disruption such as managers, head teachers, civil administrators can be alerted to a high risk event. We get this when high warnings for floods, wind or something comes in. IIRC we had a red for wind in February? 

Edited by dorlomin

Met office - There's a 50% chance of 40degrees, watch out for vulnerable people as it'll be a really hot day.

Red tops - it's going to be 40degrees wheey.

It's 38 degrees. 

Yer da - well that's the met office made yet another mistake, 2 degrees off what they said would 100% happen. And in my day we just said go out enjoy the heat. Skin cancer hadn't been invented yet by the libtards yet.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Maybe this is the correct temperature of the earth and last 200,000 years has been too cool.

You ever thought of that you selfish b*****ds?

I hope it is. 

11 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

The impact on transport, work,  schools etc certainly justifies a high warning level. Its the point of introducing these coloured warnings so that people whos role it is to plan for disruption such as managers, head teachers, civil administrators can be alerted to a high risk event. We get this when high warnings for floods, wind or something comes in. IIRC we had a red for wind in February? 

Red Warnings are meant to indicate the very real danger to life, not to highlight to head teachers that they need to stick some fans on and open the windows.

If grown adults do not know how to adjust to hot weather then they should be nowhere near a position of authority.

They only introduced the warning for extreme heat last year - using them today when they were not really required smacks of the same energy as a kid who is looking for an excuse to play with a new toy.

Edited by Todd_is_God

29 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not true.  I can predict who will win the World Cup by looking at the horoscopes of the players.  Highly unlikely to be in any way accurate.

A forecast is where they run several models of weather patterns and identify the common ground in all of them.  Far more likely to be correct.

You’re a risky claiming that prediction and forecast are not synonymous. Such fragility! 😆

23 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

There is a small chance that somewhere will top that at 17:00 but still it means that we are close to the highest ever temperature recorded in the UK (38.7C) with tomorrow likely to be the warmer day. More worrying tonight may have lows of 24C. This will mean people will struggle to cool over night. UK houses are really not made for this so many will have rooms with much higher temperatures. This is not a huge deal as this is a short burst of heat. But when you get these high lows over extended periods it leads to. a big jump in deaths in the elderly. 

Which therefore renders the point of a red heat warning for an event that'll be over by Wednesday questionable. As you say, most health issues involving heat are caused by long duration events, but this isn't one.

Infrastructure has also not become more fragile since 2003 either. Our attitudes to extreme events have changed alongside their increased frequency. 

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That is not a smoking gun.

The difficulty is proving beyond reasonable doubt that any of this is either man-made, natural or a combination of both because the core molecule at the heart of it - CO2 - is the same in both cases.

It's not good enough to say "we have no other answers". That is simply not proof OR a smoking gun and by definition is an open research question. (as I explained to coprolite above.

BTW, the bigger problem isn't just CO2. It's the countless tons of methane gas trapped in the Siberian permafrost. If the permafrost continues to melt and that gas is escapes into the atmosphere it will be curtains for all of us.

Like I said, none of this is "simple Physics". It's been baffling and will continue to baffle the brightest minds our planet has to offer for decades.

This is almost exclusively utter bollocks as the carbon emissions into the atmosphere are clearly measurable. 

The science that AGW is a thing is undeniable. Both the local/regional effects of this global  change though - as well as choosing the better response between focusing shutting down carbon emissions or mitigating climate impacts through technology are up in the air. 

10 minutes ago, Beans on Toast said:

They sure are friend. They are also quite high today, or so I am led to believe from these so called "experts" at the Met office.

Of course they are "high". It's summer.

This isn't the slamdunk you think it is.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I see the heat has unfortunately attracted all the screeching forum chimps out of the gallery to which they were confined and they are now metaphorically flinging their faeces all over the place, ruining yet another half decent thread. Well done guys!

And with that, I'm out of this discussion.

Enjoy yourselves folks.

Don't go !!

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I see the heat has unfortunately attracted all the screeching forum chimps out of the gallery to which they were confined and they are now metaphorically flinging their faeces all over the place.

And with that, I'm out of this discussion.

Enjoy yourselves folks.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out chump.

23 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If I wanted evidence I am quite capable of finding it myself thanks.

I asked you for proof to justify you using phrases like "absolutely bollocks".

You can't do proof because it's still an open research question amongst climate scientists.

You're not in a position to talk about anyone else talking bollocks.

Ok, bollocks within a 99.9% confidence interval. 

Happy?