It's getting hot in here!

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If this is truly is climate change, it's going to be too late to stop it. Entirely removing the source of this excess heat generation at this stage would require a few decades to correct the current trajectory from a thermodynamics point of view. AND it appears that the rate of temperature increase is speeding up. That's the scale of the problem facing us.

May as well just enjoy the sun folks.

The climate is getting warmer, but the desire to portray it as entirely man made and therefore something that can be controlled reeks of the same arrogance that led to disastrous covid responses being put in place and then left in place far too long (NS's regular attempts to portray the R0 as something that could be turned up and down like the flow of water from a tap the perfect example of this).

There seems to be a complete unwillingness amongst scientists to acknowledge or accept that there are things that we as humans simply cannot impact.

We'd be far better pouring money into upgrading infrastructure etc to ensure it can cope with the potential for warmer temperatures going forward than the current idea that if we spend a shit tonne to achieve "net zero" then everything will be ok.

Ultimately, all we are going to achieve by going down this road is certain groups of people becoming very rich, the general public becoming poorer, and, when the man made attempt to control the climate ultimately turns out to be futile, having to then upgrade the infrastructure anyway.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

The hottest temperature I've ever been in is 37 degrees and it honestly didn't feel any hotter than 23/24 like it is just now in Inverness.  Folk on Twitter are acting as if this is their last day on Earth.

It’s the absolute thirst for attention. They want to make everything about them, including the weather.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Met Office have issued a warning based on a set of very clear criteria, outlined in detail based on their modelling. They've identified a 50% chance of the temperature exceeding 40 degrees, and have warned people about this, which is literally why they exist. The fact that the metaphorical coin might come up with heads this time doesn't mean that there wasn't the same chance of it coming up tails.

There is a red warning in place where I am right now. It's 31 degrees.

It's going to get nowhere near 40 degrees here, so why are they not removing the warning?

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think I've been in the high 30s when I've been in Cyprus and it's pretty brutal.  Obvious difference is that I don't have to work and I was in a house designed for heat with a pool etc.  Not like here where I've wedged all my double glazed windows open and have spend the morning filling a paddling pool to sit in.

The neighbours will be delighted.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

36 degrees would be an exceptionally hot day in London.  From a bit of Googling the hottest day in modern recorded history in London was 38, with most places that day getting 37.

36 degrees in Glasgow would be the hottest every recorded temperature in Scotland by about three or four degrees.

Thank you for explaining my post to me. I'm not really sure what point you are making here, though.

I bet you, in complete contrast to today, that back in 2003 everyone was loving the weather. A scorcher. Ice Cream and pints all round.

Now, it's not even that hot and newspapers are spouting shite about the potential for ambulances to burst into flames outside A&E.

In contrast to the usually underwhelming summers we get here, we have a couple of days where we are getting the type of weather we see once every 20 or so years. If only it was at the weekend instead of a Monday and Tuesday and we could actually enjoy it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Thank you for explaining my post to me. I'm not really sure what point you are making here, though.

I bet you, in complete contrast to today, that back in 2003 everyone was loving the weather. A scorcher. Ice Cream and pints all round.

Now, it's not even that hot and newspapers are spouting shite about the potential for ambulances to burst into flames outside A&E.

You said that 36 degrees in London wouldn't be massively out of the ordinary.  It would be one of the hottest days in recorded history there.

I can remember reports in 2003 of the number of deaths caused by the heat, although I think they were mainly reporting on Europe, France in particular.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

30 odd years ago it was so hot in London that the company allowed us to work 6am-2pm to avoid the worst of the heat.

No air conditioning in the office.

Everyone in suits and ties.

And people were still allowed to smoke in the office.

Changed days. 😃

#COYI #WATP

Just now, ICTChris said:

You said that 36 degrees in London wouldn't be massively out of the ordinary.  It would be one of the hottest days in recorded history there.

It was 38 degrees in 2003, and 37.8 as recently as 2020. In that context, 36 degrees really isn't massively out of the ordinary at all.

I did say it was very hot, but it's not overly notable in itself.

4b1fe5dd-ed9d-4244-9dfd-cca65a831c04.png

bell-graph_0.gif

We get a warm mass of air coming up off the Sahara as in this week, or back in 2019 when we had a sustained high pressure over the UK for a couple of weeks, the maximum temperatures are made (on average) higher than when such weather phenomena happened before. 

The physics is simple, more CO2 means more IR coming back to the surface. This then in turn means more water vapor can be held in the atmosphere which also increases the greenhouse effect acting as a feedback. There is a lot more to the science, but on the whole what had been predicted back in the 70s and 80s is broadly happening. 

This is a bit repeating the basics. But it seems the basics are back under discussion again. 

trenbert-fasullo-kiehl-2009.png

Edited on the left is the incoming short wave radiation, that hits the ground warming it up. That the emits infrared (long wave radiation). That then gets trapped in the atmosphere and some returned to the ground, that extra bit is in very basic terms the greenhouse effect. 

The more greenhouse gasses the more infrared comes back and warms the surface. 

Edited by dorlomin

Just in case anyone says it’s the media and not the Met Office. 2pm nearly and no records broken yet so as far as today goes they have about 1 hour. Bet it doesn’t happen tomorrow either.

40 appears to be off the table after all.

1-CDBE0-EA-C9-F7-494-D-AD00-E8-D44-F4-FB

40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There is a red warning in place where I am right now. It's 31 degrees.

It's going to get nowhere near 40 degrees here, so why are they not removing the warning?

It's 34 where I am and we've only got amber. 

How can this be allowed to happen? 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The argument is that whilst the overwhelming majority of climate change is natural, man-made effects account for around 5%, and it's this 5% which is enough to push the climate out of balance. I understand that argument and it's persuasive. Unfortunately they can't provide a smoking gun (as they had to do with the ozone layer) so there is always room for doubt.

As usual though, the problem is the vocal, partly-educated cult-following that climate change attracts. People parroting the views of whatever "expert" is telling them what they want to hear. Not one of the people blocking motorways will be able to sit down and talk about the science because they don't have the background to understand any of it but they'll be so convinced they are right that they'll risk jail time to hammer their view home and f**k anyone who disagrees with them. That's where the kickback from ordinary members of the public starts kicking in. Cult members never realise that's it's their shrieking control-freakery which is at the heart of public resistance to an issue and not the issue itself. Replace climate change with covid or trans issues or whatever and you have that repeating pattern.

We need fewer howling banshees trying to control everyone IMO.

Absolutely bollocks mate. 

Maybe ~5% of CO2 emissions being man made would be right. 

Virtually all of the observed temperature increases can be attributed to man made CO2 emissions.