It's getting hot in here!

Might be one or two other things contributing to that tbf.

Tbf lockdown ended over a year ago and since then I’ve been out and about, visiting friends and family, getting steaming, going to busy places. Usually I would have had several seasonal colds by now but I haven’t. Also - recent studies indicate that regular immersion in cold water may reduce the chances of getting dementia.

37 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Tbf lockdown ended over a year ago and since then I’ve been out and about, visiting friends and family, getting steaming, going to busy places. Usually I would have had several seasonal colds by now but I haven’t. Also - recent studies indicate that regular immersion in cold water may reduce the chances of getting dementia.

Enjoy your showers, mate. 

A cold shower in the morning is a pretty unpleasant way to start the day. Yet many have been tempted to take up the habit because being immersed in cold water has many purported health benefits, both physical and mental.

Cold showers were first administered for health reasons in the early 19th century when doctors designed them for use on asylum and prison inmates to “cool hot, inflamed brains, and to instil fear to tame impetuous wills”.

By the mid-19th century, the Victorians realised that the shower had other uses, namely washing people – and it would be better if the water was warm. So the shower went from being a device used to inflict unpleasantness for an hour and a half to one that was very pleasant and lasted about five minutes.

And yet the practice of taking a cold shower for health benefits never truly went away, and, indeed, seems to be enjoying a resurgence. Especially among Silicon Valley types.

The more you hear the better it gets!

A cold shower in the morning is a pretty unpleasant way to start the day.

Couldn’t disagree more. After an ice cold shower I feel awake and alive, ready to face the day. The initial getting in is the toughest bit but once you are submerged you can feel your body adjusting. How can anyone possibly be properly awake after leaving their cosy warm bed and getting in their cosy warm shower?

I’ll admit that winters are tough. There are mornings when I wake up and I feel I’m not up to it. I’ll have a “normal” shower instead. As the steam fills the room and I enjoy the novelty of the hot water running across my skin, I take a moment to contemplate how much of a pathetic coward I am.

That said, I’m pretty consistent and I’m cold showering no less than 5/7 days a week. I encourage the good people of P&B to give it a go. Maybe November isn’t the best month to ease yourself in though.

I like a cold shower after I've exercised but f**k that first thing in the morning. Standing shivering your bollocks off at 7am before trudging to work, awake and full of beans. No thanks, I'll stay half asleep and warm on company time. 

Edited by The Moonster

On 04/11/2021 at 14:13, Melanius Mullarkey said:

First thing in the morning I usually have a cold shower followed by a hot shower followed by a cold shower followed by a hot shower bits that’s because I bought a shitty B&Q combi boiler.

Mozz, oops, sorry MM. Decided to live on the edge today and bought a kitchen tap at B&Q Dundee. It shows both hot and cold on the tap but now I'm thinking it might be the same as your boiler and deliver a bit of both no matter what position I set it to..? Any advice on how to manage this would be very much appreciated..?

Edited by broon-loon

13 hours ago, broon-loon said:

Mozz, oops, sorry MM. Decided to live on the edge today and bought a kitchen tap at B&Q Dundee. It shows both hot and cold on the tap but now I'm thinking it might be the same as your boiler and deliver a bit of both no matter what position I set it to..? Any advice on how to manage this would be very much appreciated..?

Have you tried switching it off and switching it on again, Broon?

On 04/11/2021 at 13:38, jamamafegan said:

Couldn’t disagree more. After an ice cold shower I feel awake and alive, ready to face the day. The initial getting in is the toughest bit but once you are submerged you can feel your body adjusting. How can anyone possibly be properly awake after leaving their cosy warm bed and getting in their cosy warm shower?

I’ll admit that winters are tough. There are mornings when I wake up and I feel I’m not up to it. I’ll have a “normal” shower instead. As the steam fills the room and I enjoy the novelty of the hot water running across my skin, I take a moment to contemplate how much of a pathetic coward I am.

That said, I’m pretty consistent and I’m cold showering no less than 5/7 days a week. I encourage the good people of P&B to give it a go. Maybe November isn’t the best month to ease yourself in though.

I stay in bed until I properly wake up. Then I fūck about for a few hours before having a shower.

• 2 weeks later...
New Delhi entering a short lockdown to combat high levels of air pollution. 
Weird they don't seem that interested tackling the problem head on.
Fucking idiots. Traditions should be thrown out the window when it results in breathing in utter guff for weeks.

Just now, Stellaboz said:
1 minute ago, 101 said:
New Delhi entering a short lockdown to combat high levels of air pollution. 
Weird they don't seem that interested tackling the problem head on.

Fucking idiots. Traditions should be thrown out the window when it results in breathing in utter guff for weeks.

Tbh not sure burning coal is a tradition.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A guy on the radio said it's like smoking 20 fags a day. Much cheaper too.

The pollution in Delhi is truly awful and back when I went the old 20 fags a day description was around.  Its bloody true.

We got a car from Delhi to Agra, never seem vehicle congestion like it, thousands of cars, motorbikes, rickshaws all spouting out shite.

My chest was in bits.  That was nearly 20 years ago, I'm sure it's not improved.