It's getting hot in here!

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I am seeing lots of videos of 'Insulate Britain' protesters being dragged off the road by raging drivers.

What a strange protest movement, direct action for loft insulation.

Great to see everyone coming together for a common goal though, makes you proud.

These people are fucking morons.

Folk try to actually reason and speak to them, explaining situations like medics and emergency vehicles needing to get past and they turn into human sandbags like 3 year olds having a tantrum just hanging there and letting themselves be dragged about.

There is no way their cause will ever gain any real sympathy or traction when their methods are what they are.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There is no way their cause will ever gain any real sympathy or traction when their methods are what they are.

The thing is, their cause probably has huge sympathy and traction.  I doubt anyone would say that insulating homes is a bad idea.  Most of the public would support it.  It just seems odd that there is this previously unknown group taking extreme measures that's having a huge impact on people for something like this.

Edited by ICTChris

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The thing is, their cause probably has huge sympathy and traction.  I doubt anyone would say that insulating homes is a bad idea.  Most of the public would support it.  It just seems odd that there is this previously unknown group taking extreme measures that's having a huge impact on people for something like this.

Exactly. The cause they are raising awareness of is certainly a good one. The methods by which they are trying to raise awareness is the issue here and will actively drive many away from a cause that they should be getting on board with.

On 31/08/2021 at 14:55, DiegoDiego said:

I'm not sure it'll be possible to extricate other factors from the equation. Algeria was in turmoil for the vast majority of the 20th century. When I was there in 2014 I was walking past burnt out shops and hearing rumours of the water supply being poisoned.

One of the buried details of history is that France killed 1.5 million Algerians between 1954 and 1962.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This conference definitely has vibes of a party where half the people meant to be going can't get childcare or fall ill at the last moment. 

Joe Biden telling Glasgow he needs to work late but he's just sitting in the Whitehouse watching Peep Show. 

One of the buried details of history is that France killed 1.5 million Algerians between 1954 and 1962.
France's behaviour in Algeria is pretty well documented and everyone in both countries is aware of it. It's hardly buried.

1.5m is, of course, an estimate and you have chosen the highest one available.

On 08/10/2021 at 18:50, Sergeant Wilson said:

On 08/10/2021 at 19:03, Detournement said:

This conference definitely has vibes of a party where half the people meant to be going can't get childcare or fall ill at the last moment. 

Joe Biden telling Glasgow he needs to work late but he's just sitting in the Whitehouse watching Peep Show. 

Which category do you think Pope Francis falls under?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Private jets and super yachts for the rich. Cold showers for the plebs. 

Maybe if we had proper sick pay folk wouldn't be worried about taking days off their work.

Maybe if we had proper sick pay folk wouldn't be worried about taking days off their work.

That's exactly it, there's selection bias all over that stat. People who regularly take cold showers fall into two groups: the middle-classes who read articles about taking cold showers and are already in good health, and those who can't afford hot water because they don't have jobs to phone in sick to.

Private jets and super yachts for the rich. Cold showers for the plebs. 

Nothing wrong with cold showers. I have a cold showers instead of hot almost every day. As someone who used to get common colds fairly often, I think I’ve only had one cold since March 2020 when I began cold showering. Therefore - hot showers are for the plebs.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Nothing wrong with cold showers. I have a cold showers instead of hot almost every day. As someone who used to get common colds fairly often, I think I’ve only had one cold since March 2020 when I began cold showering. Therefore - hot showers are for the plebs.

Of all the things I had to adapt to after moving to the Philippines, taking a cold shower was the one that broke me. A shower heater was the one must have in our new place.