It's getting hot in here!

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for this so starting off P&Bs's official Global warming thread. I was down in London visiting my friend and we spent the day with the Climate protestors across London and I disagree with their techniques by deliberately getting arrested they put massive strains on our criminal justice system when they would be far more effective moving back into Male Arch and allowing the traffic back on to Waterloo Bridge. However their aims are ones that resinate with me and really we do need to get serious on our emissions because within 12 years we will be too late and we will be killing humans off. We need a plan on climate change that's worked on and signed off by the 3 main parties in the UK, Labour Tories and the SNP with input from the other political parties to drive this in a very short time frame, I think the UK should be climate neutral by 2020 and stop all trade with non compliant countries (most notably the United States). This is going to be THE social issue of our generation so what are your thoughts - this goes far beyond our political system which the protestors in London are obviously trying to alter but will need a change in the way we live our lives hence I thought this was the place for discussion rather than the bespoke Politics forum - Any way this is the short video we made in London and I think it sums it up quite nicely.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Shutting down public transport so people had to take taxis or get in their cars didn't do much for the planet.  Don't think they thought that one through.

Talking about London specifically The Tube was fully operational obviously bus network would have been disrupted but in City centres losing down a few roads really didn't have that much impact on the transport systems the police had lots of diversions in place before the roads were closed by protestors

The planet will find a way to shit us out like the virus we are if we dont mend our selfish ways. Thats the broad, high level assessment of it for me. 

Its truly amazing to me that there are people in positions of power who are flatly denying that there is a problem. Sure we can argue about the extent of it, causes and solutions etc. But to flat out deny that we are impacting thie planet in a negative way is baffling

5 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Talking about London specifically The Tube was fully operational obviously bus network would have been disrupted but in City centres losing down a few roads really didn't have that much impact on the transport systems the police had lots of diversions in place before the roads were closed by protestors

They were also targeting public transport, here's one story but I heard about more on the radio this morning.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/uk/extinction-rebellion-london-train-gbr-intl/index.html

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They were also targeting public transport, here's one story but I heard about more on the radio this morning.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/uk/extinction-rebellion-london-train-gbr-intl/index.html

Cheers - hadn't  read that. There was also a queue a mile long in which just about every car, var and lorry was idling so yes there has been some pointless counter effective bits to the protest however if people cant get home and have a disrupted journey then its a nice little warm up for what would happen if we carry on as normal

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The planet will find a way to shit us out like the virus we are if we dont mend our selfish ways. Thats the broad, high level assessment of it for me. 

Its truly amazing to me that there are people in positions of power who are flatly denying that there is a problem. Sure we can argue about the extent of it, causes and solutions etc. But to flat out deny that we are impacting thie planet in a negative way is baffling

Well 12 years and it will be the point of no return for humanity we will start to die poorest first and then the the world will be free of humanity and whatever is left will be a master species living without pollinators 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No doubt a glue full of microplastic.

8 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Cheers - hadn't  read that. There was also a queue a mile long in which just about every car, var and lorry was idling so yes there has been some pointless counter effective bits to the protest however if people cant get home and have a disrupted journey then its a nice little warm up for what would happen if we carry on as normal

Well 12 years and it will be the point of no return for humanity we will start to die poorest first and then the the world will be free of humanity and whatever is left will be a master species living without pollinators 

The cockroaches will still be arguing about Brexit.

22 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for this so starting off P&Bs's official Global warming thread. I was down in London visiting my friend and we spent the day with the Climate protestors across London and I disagree with their techniques by deliberately getting arrested they put massive strains on our criminal justice system when they would be far more effective moving back into Male Arch and allowing the traffic back on to Waterloo Bridge. However their aims are ones that resinate with me and really we do need to get serious on our emissions because within 12 years we will be too late and we will be killing humans off. We need a plan on climate change that's worked on and signed off by the 3 main parties in the UK, Labour Tories and the SNP with input from the other political parties to drive this in a very short time frame, I think the UK should be climate neutral by 2020 and stop all trade with non compliant countries (most notably the United States). This is going to be THE social issue of our generation so what are your thoughts - this goes far beyond our political system which the protestors in London are obviously trying to alter but will need a change in the way we live our lives hence I thought this was the place for discussion rather than the bespoke Politics forum - Any way this is the short video we made in London and I think it sums it up quite nicely.

That's very good but what about some paragraphs FFS! I'd be quite happy going back to caveman times. Our rampant consumerism and sense of entitlement is in need of a major rethink.

Good to see @Melanius Mullarkey with his big instrument in the thumnail. 

It's a bit sad that the baby boomer generation in power don't give a f**k about their great grandchildren so they keep burning the carbon that will leave them in shit. A lot of them used to be hippies ffs. Oh but windmills are ugly but massive gas or coal plants aren't. f**k right off.

I feel quite strongly about climate change and trying to neutralise the damage I do in different ways. For me I find it absolutely mental that Elon Musk has designed a car that is cheaper than a bmw and drives 350 miles on a single charge yet its still outwith the mainstream. We need to push renewables, we need to put in place a carbon offset tax for air travel, plant more trees/moorland growth etc. We need to look at sustainable mass transit and mag-lev tech for trains. A high speed hyper loop between glasgow and edinburgh would be incredible. Stop wrapping everything in so much fucking plastic and I agree with the poster above, stop trading with or penalise countries which don’t take action against climate change. You only have to look at glacier degradation and rising sea levels to see whats coming (btw why the f**k are we still building houses at waterfronts when we know sea levels will rise in the next 25 years?).
What I really dont get is why companies like shell and bp drill for oil in expensive places yet they could plough money into renewables and literally make money/energy from thin air.

££££££££££££

$$$$$$$$$$$$

€€€€€€€€€€€€

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Etc

Is why nothing will change sadly. The best thing we can do is try and convince the big businesses that bigger profits can be made from renewables and other measures to halt climate change.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

££££££££££££

$$$$$$$$$$$$

€€€€€€€€€€€€

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Etc

Is why nothing will change sadly. The best thing we can do is try and convince the big businesses that bigger profits can be made from renewables and other measures to halt climate change.

Winner.

Solar power, Hydro-Electric, Electic cars etc, should be commonplace.

Wonder why they're not.......

42 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I would also add that the extinction rebellion people come across appallingly, why would pissing 1/2 a million people off make anyone sympathetic to their movement? That plus the litter they left behind kinda detracts from their credibility.

Might be reading the room incorrectly, and some of the other London-based posters might have a different view, but having had people in my fam inconvenienced in their commutes this week (taking twice as long, random bus terminations etc) and generally working in the city, there doesn't seem to be the same backlash to XR as there has been to similarly disruptive protests in the past. I think a lot of people privately feel sympathetic towards their objectives. If they manage to "hold" Waterloo Bridge etc until the four day weekend their numbers may swell significantly.

Maybe if half these tramps got a job and put money back into society instead of being a drain on the state there might be more funds available to tackle the problem.

Now where did I put that tin hat?

There was a great interview on Sky News this morning with that young twat (whatever his name is) head to head with Alan Boulton.  

For those of you that saw This Time With Alan Partridge, it was pretty much a parody of the cyber hacking scene where the guy eventually stands up and just walks out the interview.  (giving him a slating, companies have lost money from this protest - are you going to give it back, etc etc)

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/17/sky-news-anchor-calls-climate-protesters-incompetent-middle-class-9234343/

Edited by Hedgecutter

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There was a great interview on Sky News this morning with that young twat (whatever his name is) head to head with Alan Boulton.  

For those of you that saw This Time With Alan Partridge, it was almost a parody of the cyber hacking scene where the guy eventually stands up and just walks out the interview. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/17/sky-news-anchor-calls-climate-protesters-incompetent-middle-class-9234343/

It’s nice to see @throbber smartening himself up and getting on the telly for a bit though.