It's getting hot in here!

26 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I’d just started a new job in 1976 working as a storeman in an engineering company.  The store had an upper level with skylights that had to be painted with white emulsion to make it possible to work there.

BTW I’m older than 50.

Edited by Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d just started a new job in 1976 working as a storeman in an engineering company.  The store had an upper level with skylights that had to be painted with white emulsion to make it possible to work there.

BTW I’m older than 50.

Snowflake imo^

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 minutes ago, Venti said:
If we actually hit 40C I'll have a nice pint of Tennent's.
Spill a libation for the cremated down south.

Get pouring

chris-morris-yes.gif

1 hour ago, renton said:

Mathematics is the language of science, intrinsically linked. There is some debate as to whether it is a science in it's own right or not based on the basis of requiring "proof" of a principle vs. empirical evidence.

The standard Climate change models - the General Circulation Models (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_circulation_model) - try to describe the interaction of energy and matter in different areas of the atmosphere and ocean. They break up the world model into small cells and solve for the appropriate physics for each cell, using the result of each cell to influence the initial conditions of it's neighbours in an interative, convergent statistical process. The model is then influenced by the complexity of the physics modelled in each cell, and the size of cell relative to the world (i.e. the model resolution:> http://eo.ucar.edu/staff/rrussell/climate/modeling/climate_model_resolution.html).

So, you need physicists and chemists to describe the thermodynamics, fluid dynamic responses as well as the changes in local chemistry for each cell for a great number of global and local inputs. You need computer scientists (who are not "IT" as you put it - computer science concerns itself with the construction of computers and programs, IT with the maintenance of those systems) to generate the necessary code based on the equations provided from the physicists and who will work alongside pure mathematicians and statisticians to make sure the model is stable and convergent over it's range of inputs.

The model is then run against real world data at different time points to make sure it can replicate faithfully an existing, known set of empirical data for the climate before it is used for any future predictive modelling.

Pfft. They just make it up. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

BTW I’m older than 50.

I was 9. The summer in Scotland wasn't even close so we got excited about a 2 week holiday in London. First week was glorious, second week the heavens opened.

I'm 87 you know. 

Away from Britain having a hot couple of days Australia have published a report on their dreadful climate action which is only getting worse. With more coal mines about to open it's not exactly going to be easy to recover quickly.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/australia/australia-climate-change-environment-report-intl-hnk/index.html

23 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I was 9. The summer in Scotland wasn't even close so we got excited about a 2 week holiday in London. First week was glorious, second week the heavens opened.

I'm 87 you know. 

If you were 9 in 1976 then you can’t be 87.  Even I know that and my capacity with numbers can sometimes be askew.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I didn't say the model could explain things, i said it could account for them. 

...by punching in the guesswork they need to eventually churn out the 'correct' answer. So completely meaningless in actually explaining why sudden climactic shifts occurred in the past (a skill that is not actually needed to explain the current phenomenon - but advocate scientists pushed that envelope to 'debunk' sceptics, using bad science to do so). 

Fortunately most people working with models understand  their limitations and how to use them in science. 

You must have been living in a cave for the past few years then, because that's really not how the interaction between 'The Science' and public policy is playing out at all.