It's getting hot in here!

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I worked on a building site in Greece in the summer, we started at 5am and finished at noon. Also the windows all had shutters to keep the sun out but keeping the air flowing. They organise it that way because high 30s isn't just a couple of days every decade or so..

I take your point, but the whole demand in the UK as I’m reading it is all too middle class. The same people demanding their workplace close will still be expecting service industries and hospitality to be open for their pleasure.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

14 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It was part of the discussion. I’ll be clearer then. “Statistics” is a science, even if someone says it is not on the internet. 

That’s simply the truth of the matter.

FTFY

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Bloody Snowflake foreigners......

Reminds me of when a whole load of raspers were moaning about UK airports being closed due to snow when Oslo airport never closes. (But spends millions on a whole fleet of equipment and personnel to do so).

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Reminds me of when a whole load of raspers were moaning about UK airports being closed due to snow when Oslo airport never closes. (But spends millions on a whole fleet of equipment and personnel to do so).

Surely this just means our infrastructure needs to catch up. New York State and Ontario for example are roasting in summer and freezing in winter. They manage it all fine.

Not to be outdone by its urban neighbours, the hottest place in the UK at 11:00 was Charlwood in Surrey at 37.3C in the shade, according to the latest Met Office figures.

BBC live blog. 

This makes it one of the hottest days ever recorded in the UK (perhaps top 5 but bit busy to check) at 11 am. 

Edited by dorlomin

3 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Surely this just means our infrastructure needs to catch up. New York State and Ontario for example are roasting in summer and freezing in winter. They manage it all fine.

If it's only a few days every few years it's cheaper just to close everything down.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Even that page you’ve quoted has a distinction between “math” and science.

Mathematics is the language of science, intrinsically linked. There is some debate as to whether it is a science in it's own right or not based on the basis of requiring "proof" of a principle vs. empirical evidence.

The standard Climate change models - the General Circulation Models (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_circulation_model) - try to describe the interaction of energy and matter in different areas of the atmosphere and ocean. They break up the world model into small cells and solve for the appropriate physics for each cell, using the result of each cell to influence the initial conditions of it's neighbours in an interative, convergent statistical process. The model is then influenced by the complexity of the physics modelled in each cell, and the size of cell relative to the world (i.e. the model resolution:> http://eo.ucar.edu/staff/rrussell/climate/modeling/climate_model_resolution.html).

So, you need physicists and chemists to describe the thermodynamics, fluid dynamic responses as well as the changes in local chemistry for each cell for a great number of global and local inputs. You need computer scientists (who are not "IT" as you put it - computer science concerns itself with the construction of computers and programs, IT with the maintenance of those systems) to generate the necessary code based on the equations provided from the physicists and who will work alongside pure mathematicians and statisticians to make sure the model is stable and convergent over it's range of inputs.

The model is then run against real world data at different time points to make sure it can replicate faithfully an existing, known set of empirical data for the climate before it is used for any future predictive modelling.

New UK record temperature

The UK has experienced its hottest day on record, with the temperature reaching 39.1C in Charlwood, Surrey, according to provisional Met Office figures.

f**k. f**k. 

30 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Plenty folk on twitter and the like genuinely suggesting / demanding we should be shutting schools and workplaces cause it’s a bit hot.

What a bunch of work shy lazy b*****ds the Brits are.

Pretty sure Greece, Spain, Southern Italy etc manage to go to their work in the summer without this nonsense.

Pretty sure the weans are on holiday. 

Tbh you examples are used to this and can have a proper schedule to avoid the height of the sun, it's not exactly practical for an occasional day and difficult to legislate, if you set a maximum working temperature loads of places would have to be exempt therefore negating it.

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I think it's societal as well. And even if it is simply infrastructure that's an enormous undertaking both in terms of time and money, and one that is nowhere near being complete in the UK. 

So for irregular occurrences and until theses adaptions are more complete it makes more sense and is more economic for there to be "heat days". 

From the met office. 

I thought around 3PM we would see places approach the record. That said Surrey will cloud over later today and so will perhaps not be the hottest places in the UK. 

But here we are, smashing records in the a.m. 

Edited by dorlomin

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Pretty sure the weans are on holiday. 

Tbh you examples are used to this and can have a proper schedule to avoid the height of the sun, it's not exactly practical for an occasional day and difficult to legislate, if you set a maximum working temperature loads of places would have to be exempt therefore negating it.

Not in England, they break up next week. 

26 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I take your point, but the whole demand in the UK as I’m reading it is all too middle class. The same people demanding their workplace close will still be expecting service industries and hospitality to be open for their pleasure.

I would hope that all air conditioned shops and hospitality services are fully functional this week, yes.

8 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I think it's societal as well. And even if it is simply infrastructure that's an enormous undertaking both in terms of time and money, and one that is nowhere near being complete in the UK. 

So for irregular occurrences and until theses adaptions are more complete it makes more sense and is more economic for there to be "heat days". 

At the risk of sounding like a Victorian mill manager, I think it’s a dangerous precedent to set. Before you know it there will be calls to shut workplaces cause it’s too rainy to travel.

If these type of weather events are going to become more frequent as we are being told they are, we need to invest in our buildings now and not let the problem get away from us. Short term, drink plenty water and don’t over exert yourself.

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

At the risk of sounding like a Victorian mill manager, I think it’s a dangerous precedent to set. Before you know it there will be calls to shut workplaces cause it’s too rainy to travel.

If these type of weather events are going to become more frequent as we are being told they are, we need to invest in our buildings now and not let the problem get away from us. Short term, drink plenty water and don’t over exert yourself.

Schools, transport and businesses do shut for all kinds of extreme weather events. Including it being too rainy.