It's getting hot in here!

46 minutes ago, Duszek said:

37 C here in the French Alps. Only consolation is that it’s worse elsewhere. 41 degrees in Nantes FFS…

1B564407-3996-45F1-B2BC-EA24533F63AD.gif.30ee42f8042933112ed9ac673d02ebbd.gif

The Alps, you never said.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Who could have guessed that the people who know more about epidemics than epidemiologists also know more about the weather than the Met Office?

I for one am stunned.  

They've had to declare a ceasefire in the Ukraine while they sort this heat out.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If we were in a country where temperatures regularly reached the high 30s, we'd probably have air conditioning in our hospitals and people would be well used to the risks. Likewise low temperatures and systems to keep transport going at 15 below if we were in a country used to that. Extreme weather warnings seem appropriate to our usual climate. Inverness is positively balmy though, as the Met Office forecast.

IDK, Oregon has a very low installed A/C rate, and their summers used to regularly see high 20’s and low 30’s. Of course, now with mid-30’s become more common…

The actually worst aspect is often misunderstood, and that’s the overnight temperatures. When the temperature overnight falls sufficiently, the high daytime temperatures are less threatening to life…but when the nighttime temps only drop to around 27 or above, the whole environment retains too much heat to allow anyone to cool overnight without climate control systems.

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I am rapidly getting used to living in a warmer climate but glad I’m retired and not having to work in the heat.  A/c a must.

Similar. Approaching retirement and enjoying the increasingly warmer summers. Not entirely guilt free about the environment my 6 year old granddaughter will inherit though.

23 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Similar. Approaching retirement and enjoying the increasingly warmer summers. Not entirely guilt free about the environment my 6 year old granddaughter will inherit though.

She'll be fine, it's the generation after that that'll burn/drown/freeze/starve to death. 

Do you fancy a barbecue and a few beers tomorrow?