It's getting hot in here!

I'm back to work after two weeks off and we've been told to try and avoid scheduling any meetings that will last too long during the next few days.  These will be online calls taken either from people's gardens or an air-conditioned office.

Meanwhile, there are workmen outside my house digging the road up, all wearing work gear and hi-viz vests while doing actual hard physical work.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/18/britain-hothouse-extreme-weather

Blistering heat will be the default weather for July and August, when a combination of high temperatures and humidity will make sunbathing and working in the open extremely unpleasant and potentially deadly.

That'll be why millions of people from the UK have travelled to the Mediterranean every July and August for the best part of 50 years then. No sign of the cruel heat/humidity there!

A general migration northwards and uphill can be expected, as cooler conditions become a big property selling point. 

Seems unlikely given the £3000+ household energy bills still needed to get through the winter m8. Clearly 'the news' hasn't been getting much attention paid to it in the Bill McGuire household lately. 

1888378436_tenor(28).gif.125aeb68c14d9627414cb253c2895797.gif

Another example of a professional scientist - searching for 'impact' to pad out their CV - demonstrating just how hopelessly detached they are from the society that they live in. 

Edited by vikingTON

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm back to work after two weeks off and we've been told to try and avoid scheduling any meetings that will last too long during the next few days.  These will be online calls taken either from people's gardens or an air-conditioned office.

Meanwhile, there are workmen outside my house digging the road up, all wearing work gear and hi-viz vests while doing actual hard physical work.

You should go out there dressed in revealing and provocative clothing and offer them some lemonade.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

This seems improbable. 

Standard protocol is for a maximum of two working at any given time while the other six stand around doing nothing. That's including the man who's watching the hole as working. 

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Going to Lossie beach today with the kids.

There’s two. Watch where you’re parking, the locals are slowly losing their rag with folk abandoning cars and running for the beach like they’ve never seen sand before. 

19 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This seems improbable. 

Standard protocol is for a maximum of two working at any given time while the other six stand around doing nothing. That's including the man who's watching the hole as working. 

image.jpeg.c08e4892d624e63579c5bc19db6d4d2b.jpeg

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Don't worry about them, they're different from us.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Stop right there!

I wish I was in London, good weather, things to do and you don't even need to pretend to work most of the week.

15 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I bet 40 degrees won’t be breached after all. Met Office left with egg on its face once again.

"Some models are now producing a 50% chance of maximum temperatures in excess of 40°C in isolated parts of the UK for the start of next week. Mid, to high, 30s Celsius will be seen more widely with an 80% chance we will exceed the current record." 

Egg everywhere. 

55 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

There’s two. Watch where you’re parking, the locals are slowly losing their rag with folk abandoning cars and running for the beach like they’ve never seen sand before. 

I usually park near the public toilets where the play park is

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

"Some models are now producing a 50% chance of maximum temperatures in excess of 40°C in isolated parts of the UK for the start of next week. Mid, to high, 30s Celsius will be seen more widely with an 80% chance we will exceed the current record." 

Egg everywhere. 

I did say this to my Spring Bride back when all this 40 degree chat started.

Met Office talking shite again. What a track record they have in just being wrong over and over and over again.

9 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Met Office talking shite again. What a track record they have in just being wrong over and over and over again.

You would have thought, especially in light of recent events, that predictions based entirely on computer models would be viewed with slightly more caution than they appear to have been.

19 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I did say this to my Spring Bride back when all this 40 degree chat started.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You would have thought, especially in light of recent events, that predictions based entirely on computer models would be viewed with slightly more caution than they appear to have been.

They've quite clearly said that there's a 50% chance according to their models. 

That means there's also a 50% chance that temperatures won't reach 40. 

There's a reason they call it a forecast and not a prediction. 

There's a standard pattern. 

Boffin gives dry factual information about output of model heavily caveated. 

Journalist picks up extreme scenario for good copy. 

Sub editor picks extremes out of extreme scenario for sensationalist headline. 

Public reads headline. 

When extreme scenario fails to materialise, public blames boffin. 

People have enough of experts. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

There's a reason they call it a forecast and not a prediction. 

It's been splashed about everywhere for days that today will be over 40.

That's not a forecast, that's a prediction.

You'd be forgiven for thinking they were slightly eager for an excuse to use the red bit of their nice, shiny new heat warning scale.