It's getting hot in here!

The issue here isn't fires it's intentional arson so that forest can be removed and the land can be used for cattle/mining/farming.

Is it though? Going by satellite images the current fires started in pretty unaccessible locations, not where you'd do a spot of casual arson. The same thing is happening in Russia but that doesn't fit in with the anti-capitalist narrative. Is there any evidence that these fires were started deliberately or is it just a convenient stick to beat "them" with?

14 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

No punishment needed remember SNP and Sturgeon want to raise the age of criminal responsibility so if this had happened a few years into the future he would not have committed any crime.

What a load of shite. The age of criminal responsibility is being moved from 8 to 12. The Lib Dems wants it raised further in line with UN guidance. Regardless of the age of criminal responsibility torching a school would be a crime just not one you are responsible for. 

Anyway back on topic, the Amazon is old news and there are more fires in Sub-Saharan Africa than the Amazon so looks like it will be getting the main focus of our special media gun

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is it though? Going by satellite images the current fires started in pretty unaccessible locations, not where you'd do a spot of casual arson. The same thing is happening in Russia but that doesn't fit in with the anti-capitalist narrative. Is there any evidence that these fires were started deliberately or is it just a convenient stick to beat "them" with?

The NGO Amazon Watch say the fires are being started by ranchers.

You can't compare fires in Siberia to the Amazon. They have completely different climates and vegetation.

• 1 month later...

ER are back in London and have been attempting to shut down London city airport and today have focused on the tube. I get that they are trying to "wake people up" but I stopping people using an environmentally responsible method of travel is probably not the best way to get folk on side. That said I've never been as desperate as some of these folk are to get into work. Battering folk who stop your train is very odd behaviour.

ER are back in London and have been attempting to shut down London city airport and today have focused on the tube. I get that they are trying to "wake people up" but I stopping people using an environmentally responsible method of travel is probably not the best way to get folk on side. That said I've never been as desperate as some of these folk are to get into work. Battering folk who stop your train is very odd behaviour.

I would be looking to square go anyone attempting to get the train moving tbqhwy

2 hours ago, Adam101 said:

It really isn't. 

Negotiating your way through any sort of transport in and around London is already stressful and soul destroying enough. 

Having to do it every day of life and then one day being stopped by a team of mainly white middle-class young men and women who fancy playing environmentalist this week as thry are propped up by their folks and don't really need to work is prime boot in the baws material.

The XR thing... like Brexit and pretty much everything... is bringing out the idiocy and lack of critical thinking in everyone. I assume I'm just getting older and noticing it now and this is just what humans are like.

The more sensitive and emotional and dramatic types will flock to XR for their own emotional reasons and the more cynical and negative and judgmental types will sit around and talk shit about them without evidence. The rest of us in the middle will do mainly f**k all.

We won't fix climate change, and it will be bad but not as bad as the worst predictions, and it will be worse for people who aren't like me and who I don't have to think about.

The predictability and lack of quality in it all is just thoroughly depressing.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It really isn't. 

Negotiating your way through any sort of transport in and around London is already stressful and soul destroying enough. 

Having to do it every day of life and then one day being stopped by a team of mainly white middle-class young men and women who fancy playing environmentalist this week as thry are propped up by their folks and don't really need to work is prime boot in the baws material.

This is such a fallacy. Because they can protest, they therefore shouldn't. It's like saying "go protest in China"... because they can protest in the UK, they shouldn't, instead they should go protest somewhere where they can't.

Still - idiots on all sides.

4 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Canning Town is as working class as it gets in London. A lot of those folk will be working in relatively poor income jobs, living from pay cheque to pay cheque. They can't afford to be late. 

It's also 0ft above sea level at risk of flooding should water levels rise. What kind of employer docks wages if you're late due to minor transport disruption - maybe I'm lucky but I've never come across that even when I worked on hourly rates.

40 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

It's also 0ft above sea level at risk of flooding should water levels rise. What kind of employer docks wages if you're late due to minor transport disruption - maybe I'm lucky but I've never come across that even when I worked on hourly rates.

When I did contracting work, I was paid for the hours I was there. Was travelling into London, and if I was late due to transport or any other reason doctor/dentist etc I would lose out. 

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

When I did contracting work, I was paid for the hours I was there. Was travelling into London, and if I was late due to transport or any other reason doctor/dentist etc I would lose out. 

Sounds like a tough gig

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Utter wankstains.
I hope the dude in the grey sweater got a kicking.

Which guy in grey? The hard guy in the grey hoodie only gets stuck in whilst his face is covered and the guy can't retaliate.

I would say this has been their least effective protest yet, The UK gov say that Brexit moving on (possibly) will allow them to concentrate on helping the environment whilst also starting a space programme.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It really isn't. 

You know them all?

• 9 months later...
Interesting thread this. Seems like we've completely fucked any chance of keeping warming below 2C by 2100 but we're not going to do a venus and kill ourselves and all life on earth
[/url] plugging 3 degrees into here, if you lived in Grangemouth and needed any further excuse not to, here you go:
https://www.beforetheflood.com/explore/the-crisis/sea-level-rise/
image.thumb.png.3a76a2cfba65bd60017fb3f2792e89f0.png
A bit warmer and falkirk goes underwater?
Shame, real shame.

Interesting thread this. Seems like we've completely fucked any chance of keeping warming below 2C by 2100 but we're not going to do a venus and kill ourselves and all life on earth
[/url] plugging 3 degrees into here, if you lived in Grangemouth and needed any further excuse not to, here you go:
https://www.beforetheflood.com/explore/the-crisis/sea-level-rise/
image.thumb.png.3a76a2cfba65bd60017fb3f2792e89f0.png
Fucking hell. House prices flying up in Larbert-on-sea [emoji41]