It's getting hot in here!

We need rewilding on a global scale. The destruction of the worlds ecosystems is one of the main driving factors of climate change. There’s little things we can all do to reduce our carbon emission s but it’s a drop in the ocean compared to the capitalist corporations who are annihilating the wild lands. What’s the point in cycling to work everyday when across the other side of the world the Amazon rainforest is being rapidly destroyed. A beautiful, ancient forest that has stood for millennia is being torn down and nobody is stopping it. It’s heartbreaking and simply criminal. The world is ruined if countries across the world don’t stop the destruction of their precious wild lands.

Scotland is generally a forward thinking country when it comes to green energy but when it comes to regenerating the countryside and our ecosystems we are twiddling our thumbs. We should be setting an example to other nations across the globe. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but in Scotland as far as I am aware, only 1% of our woodland is natural I.e not forestry. One percent. That is a disgrace. Our countryside has been destroyed over hundreds of years due to bad land management practises such as driven grouse shooting, the deer stalking industry and deforestation. We have been left with a bare landscape that is devoid of life. You only need to take a walk up into the moorlands of Scotland and look into the peat bogs to find remnants of our lost forests that have been preserved in the peat. And speaking of the peat bogs, they are drying out and eroding away. Peat bogs are a crucial carbon capture in Scotland and need to be re watered and restored. Grazing from deer, sheep and muirburn for grouse shooting keeps the land bare. The Scottish government needs to realise that this is totally unsustainable and needs to change. Not only will the change help reduce our carbon emissions in the battle against climate change but it will also be hugely successful for the Scottish economy. Unfortunately the SNP are in place where they need to be very careful about upsetting their rural voters by pushing this change but I’d imagine that most SNP voters, even rural ones, are leaning towards these changes. I’d vote green but we need independence first and a strong voice in Westminster in the meantime. After independence you’ll get a green vote from me.

• 3 months later...

I think it's a bit of a cheap shot to blame capitalism for climate change. I've just spent a couple of days in the shadow of a highly polluting copper smelt, designed, funded and built by communists. Heavy industry is an inevitable step along humanity's technological advance. It doesn't matter what political system is in place.

Which leads me on to my next point. I'm not sure how morally defensible it is for the UK to refuse to do business with polluting countries. We made huge advances during the industrial revolution which put us in an incredibly powerful position. Now that we've advanced beyond the need for heavy industry (essentially by outsourcing it to the countries we're now criticising) are we really going to deny other countries the chance to benefit themselves in a similar manner? The above mentioned copper smelt now sustains a city of 60,000 which otherwise wouldn't exist, providing income for a people who beforehand were living a pretty desperate existence.
For a country like Tajikistan heavy industry is their only chance, melons and remittances alone won't drag them out of poverty.

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

time to bump the global warming thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49415973

84% more fires this year, than last year. If we let the Amazon burn then we will properly bugger the planet.

It's unbelievable that the EU have done a trade deal with Brazil while this psycho is in charge.

The Amazon does seem like it could be the tipping point but there looks to be zero chance of any current world leaders stepping up over it. 

4 hours ago, Adam101 said:

time to bump the global warming thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49415973

84% more fires this year, than last year. If we let the Amazon burn then we will properly bugger the planet.

I'd like to know how there is such a discrepancy between the Brazilian Space Agency's figures and NASA's. 

The Brazilian's say 84% more yet NASA say the amount of fires is actually down. That's quite a difference of opinions. 

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The planet will be fine, we'll just bugger ourselves.

Maybe we need a few less people on earth anyway.

True other life will continue but seeing as this is the only planet we know of that can support complex life then it seems a shame to f**k it up.

Also the companies or farmers that started the farmers are surely culpable?

The leaders of both France and Canada are keen to get the G7 together to discuss the Amazon fire however I'm not entirely sure what they can do other than put trade embargoes on Brazil until they sort it out.

17 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Amazon is a trillion dollar company. They should put out their own fire.

I agree. It’s good that they will be able to get loads of fire extinguishers delivered next day if they are a Prime subscriber.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49472600

So 1400 kids suffer cos of 1 14 year old toerag

What is the correct punishment ?   Slap on the wrist and £50 fine for mummy, or Life Imprisonment minimum 50 years 

Edited by superbigal