It's getting hot in here!

Listening to the radio today, it would appear that the general consensus among the populace is that doing something about this global warming stuff seems very important, but not if it means disrupting my commute.

DIsturbing number of variations on, "yes, I appreciate it's vitally important to take direct action, but could it not be done somewhere that won't affect me in any way?"

But as mentioned earlier that young "twat" on sky this morning was ill prepared for the beating he took on air. The tree huggers should at least ensure the leadership pr those they put on the telly front line is not a fecking virgin.

Honestly If he had been asked how often he had had his hole, he'd have said it was going to kill our kids in 10 years.

Capitalism is climate change. I can’t see any way climate change can be stopped and I fear it’s already went past the tipping point.

We are pissing around the edges and need a massive change in thinking. It’s the most important issue mankind has ever faced.

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

so you're all voting Green at the next election then... 

I will try to respond to people in this thread because some valid points are being made. Sorry Tam but this is a matter for all political parties and you can vote Tory and pressure your MP to hard line against Climate change, voting Green obviously sends a message to the ruling class as this Brexit thing was all over the Tories losing 10 seats but this needs to be on the agenda for all political parties

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

That's very good but what about some paragraphs FFS! I'd be quite happy going back to caveman times. Our rampant consumerism and sense of entitlement is in need of a major rethink.

Good to see @Melanius Mullarkey with his big instrument in the thumnail. 

Haha formatting would make it far to easy to read, but it was nice to meet to Concrete king in person!

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit sad that the baby boomer generation in power don't give a f**k about their great grandchildren so they keep burning the carbon that will leave them in shit. A lot of them used to be hippies ffs. Oh but windmills are ugly but massive gas or coal plants aren't. f**k right off.

Some if not all will see the effects of their selflessness, when we have millions of climate refugees we cannot sit by as we did with refugees of war. No doubt folk will say it's nothing to do with us and "they" shouldn't live there

5 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I feel quite strongly about climate change and trying to neutralise the damage I do in different ways. For me I find it absolutely mental that Elon Musk has designed a car that is cheaper than a bmw and drives 350 miles on a single charge yet its still outwith the mainstream. We need to push renewables, we need to put in place a carbon offset tax for air travel, plant more trees/moorland growth etc. We need to look at sustainable mass transit and mag-lev tech for trains. A high speed hyper loop between glasgow and edinburgh would be incredible. Stop wrapping everything in so much fucking plastic and I agree with the poster above, stop trading with or penalise countries which don’t take action against climate change. You only have to look at glacier degradation and rising sea levels to see whats coming (btw why the f**k are we still building houses at waterfronts when we know sea levels will rise in the next 25 years?).
What I really dont get is why companies like shell and bp drill for oil in expensive places yet they could plough money into renewables and literally make money/energy from thin air.

Correct I mean the cost of HS2 and Crossrail would have probably been enough to electrify some major lines

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

££££££££££££

$$$$$$$$$$$$

€€€€€€€€€€€€

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Etc

Is why nothing will change sadly. The best thing we can do is try and convince the big businesses that bigger profits can be made from renewables and other measures to halt climate change.

We still have the power to boycott these companies and that scares them shitless

I'm conflicted with climate change. I understand the need for rapid change or we will destroy the earthas we know it. I worry for my children's future and fear we may be beyond the point of no return. My work involves me driving for up to 400 miles in one hit so I cannot go down the 'green' route and I stay in an area where public transport is abysmal so I use of a car for times when Im not working is a necessity. I do what I can, renewable energy supplier, smart meter, recycling etc etc but I know that's not enough. What does irk me is being lectured by members of society who demand 'society' changes immediately despite the majority of them never ever having contributed, financially, to that society and more often than not taken all they can from that very society. I suppose I could give up my job, sell my house and car and go and live in a commune eating lentils for the rest of my days but I fear that would have me wishing for a premature end to the world and, if we all chose to do that the world would have ended years ago.

17 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

I'm conflicted with climate change. I understand the need for rapid change or we will destroy the earthas we know it. I worry for my children's future and fear we may be beyond the point of no return. My work involves me driving for up to 400 miles in one hit so I cannot go down the 'green' route and I stay in an area where public transport is abysmal so I use of a car for times when Im not working is a necessity. I do what I can, renewable energy supplier, smart meter, recycling etc etc but I know that's not enough. What does irk me is being lectured by members of society who demand 'society' changes immediately despite the majority of them never ever having contributed, financially, to that society and more often than not taken all they can from that very society. I suppose I could give up my job, sell my house and car and go and live in a commune eating lentils for the rest of my days but I fear that would have me wishing for a premature end to the world and, if we all chose to do that the world would have ended years ago.

You start with good, valid points but degenerate in to stupid, lazy stereotyping

Conventional crude oil production peaked around a decade ago and it's only fracking in the United States that's keeping oil production on a plateau in production terms, but that's expensive to do so the higher oil price needed to keep supply marginally outpacing demand is making it a lot easier for renewables to compete than it used to be. The interesting thing to watch at the moment is what happens over the next decade now that solar and wind energy have hit grid parity and the electric car is becoming much more mainstream. China is very much leading the way on that and may have effectively already peaked in terms of coal production much earlier than anticipated in a David Rutledge sort of way.

The only remaining technological problem that's standing in the way of a large scale transition away from fossil fuels is how to achieve energy storage in a cost effective way for when the sun isn't shining, the wind isn't blowing etc in the absence of the mountainous terrain and high rainfall needed for Norwegian style pump-storage hydro. The large scale batteries that Elon Musk has come up with look like more of a stop gap measure than the final answer. Until that gets fixed, increasingly inexpensive renewables backed up by natural gas power stations will probably be the order of the day, but it should get sorted out eventually. There's no reason to be deeply pessimistic about the future, basically. There are challenges ahead but they are not insurmountable. 

There was a great interview on Sky News this morning with that young twat (whatever his name is) head to head with Alan Boulton.  
For those of you that saw This Time With Alan Partridge, it was pretty much a parody of the cyber hacking scene where the guy eventually stands up and just walks out the interview.  (giving him a slating, companies have lost money from this protest - are you going to give it back, etc etc)
https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/17/sky-news-anchor-calls-climate-protesters-incompetent-middle-class-9234343/

What an absolute fandangler that guy is, maybe people would take climate change more seriously if there were better people at the forefront.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for climate change protestors and feel their actions are justified.

If there’s anyone left to write the history in a hundred years they will ask why such people were ignored for so long.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for climate change protestors and feel their actions are justified.
If there’s anyone left to write the history in a hundred years they will ask why such people were ignored for so long.
Can understand why they get villified by the media who are complicit with scum like Murdoch etc and act as mouthpuecesnfor those in power.

The problem is that normal people have been conditioned to treat these protesters like scum because they have the audacity to make them late for work

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can understand why they get villified by the media who are complicit with scum like Murdoch etc and act as mouthpuecesnfor those in power.

The problem is that normal people have been conditioned to treat these protesters like scum because they have the audacity to make them late for work

Yup. See the shite post further up from a wee Tory w**k who trotted out the usual pish about 'not contributing', 'taking', 'communes' and 'lentil munching'.

What a well conditioned wee drone. 

We could fight all day long about the human vs natural climate change argument, but I believe there's plenty of academic evidence out there to suggest that both are having an effect. 

As a society, I think we're pretty bad at wanting to keep a dynamic Earth exactly as we have it just now and presume that we can keep building things at present day sea-level etc etc forever if we play our cards right. The fact is that this will eventually change naturally and therefore the way we go around things will need to change regardless. However, reducing the man-made impact will certainly give us a bit more time to get ourselves in order, but the idea that we can somehow stop it with a bit of hard work needs to get in the (rising) sea. 

Edited by Hedgecutter
typo

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Old man angry that young girl is trying to save the world.

Its quite staggering that Gove wants action but this imbecile is labeling it as a hoax.

Just now, Adam101 said:

Old man angry that young girl is trying to save the world.

Its quite staggering that Gove wants action but this imbecile is labeling it as a hoax.

It's the stuff about brainwashing and mental abuse that was most worrying. Sadly too many old arseholes like him share the same opinion.

And I highly doubt Gove wants action. He wants to be seen to be saying the right thing but it's almost an unwritten Tory policy to not give a shit about climate change.