Ryan Fraser

MickeyPaul

4 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

He hasn’t been good this season but some tartan army diehards have the bar set at ankle height.

I suspect you are one of those people.

He has been quite good actually, especially the lat couple of weeks.  He's bournemouths best player.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Grant was saying on Sportsound earlier in the week that clubs weren't allowing some players to play two games in a row. That seems to fit Fraser to a tee.

I't's difficult enough to get an international team into a rhythm, nevermind when it's "mandated" that player x can only play one of the games. He's going to become a player we bring on with 20mins left to trouble tired defenders the way things are going.

Peter Grant was saying on Sportsound earlier in the week that clubs weren't allowing some players to play two games in a row. That seems to fit Fraser to a tee.

I't's difficult enough to get an international team into a rhythm, nevermind when it's "mandated" that player x can only play one of the games. He's going to become a player we bring on with 20mins left to trouble tired defenders the way things are going.

Bournemouth aren’t exactly a footballing powerhouse - tell them to get to f**k. I certainly would be if they even attempted to dictate anything in March.

Bournemouth aren’t exactly a footballing powerhouse - tell them to get to f**k. I certainly would be if they even attempted to dictate anything in March.
You'd think it'd be that simple but management are presumably fearful of losing a player completely if they take a hardline stance.

I don't know if I'm just imagining it or just more aware as it's Scotland, but this seems to affect us more than other countries.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

You'd think it'd be that simple but management are presumably fearful of losing a player completely if they take a hardline stance.

I don't know if I'm just imagining it or just more aware as it's Scotland, but this seems to affect us more than other countries.

If that was the case I would call up said player every time and invoke the Five Day Rule every time they don't show up.  

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

It doesn't effect other countries

None I can think of

12 minutes ago, charger29 said:

If the player retires, the 5 day rule is irrelevant.

I agree with CraigKillie below (above) and was going to cite the exact same example of France.   Though I don't think it was Malouda, maybe Cisse. 

Anyway I'm pretty sure it still applies, and if we had a player that was so non-committed they would retire because we keep asking them to play for us I think we'd be best off without that player.

I think Scotland should flex a little muscle soon and use it once or twice, so clubs know there is a limit to how much they can take the piss.

I'm not sure that's actually true. France threatened to use it with one of their players (Malouda?) a while back and he ended up reversing his retirement.

Malouda wanted to play for another country from what I can see. It did happen with Makalele years ago but I think the rules have changed now. For example, Joel Matip hasn't played for Cameroon for several years.

As long as there is an official retirement is seems fine. The FIFA link containing the explanation is dead but many blogs quoted it as saying:

"Should he wish not to be called up for a certain match or matches or for a certain period of time, he must inform the association of which he is a national, in writing, of his intention before being called up. Furthermore, only the player himself is entitled to renounce representing his national team. This declaration shall be submitted by the player to the association concerned in writing.”

Just now, charger29 said:
15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
I'm not sure that's actually true. France threatened to use it with one of their players (Malouda?) a while back and he ended up reversing his retirement.

Malouda wanted to play for another country from what I can see. It did happen with Makalele years ago but I think the rules have changed now. For example, Joel Matip hasn't played for Cameroon for several years.

Have Cameroon tried to invoke the rule?

8 hours ago, charger29 said:

The clubs cannot dictate whether or not player plays two games in the international break.

The national management team must have the balls to tell club managers to GTF.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The clubs cannot dictate whether or not player plays two games in the international break.

The national management team must have the balls to tell club managers to GTF.

Exactly, I would love the Scotland manager if he had a conversation say with Eddie Howe who said 'Ryan can't play two games this week so only use him once' to then go and play him 90 minutes in both games.

Just now, charger29 said:
6 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:
Have Cameroon tried to invoke the rule?

Yes and they won but only because Matip didn't "officially retire" i.e. send an official letter to the FA by himself. After he did that he's been in the clear for the past 5 years.

Have they tried to invoke the rule since then?  I don't think you're correct is why I ask.  Though I could be wrong.  Can you show proof it doesn't apply if you 'officially' retire?

Have they tried to invoke the rule since then?  I don't think you're correct is why I ask.  Though I could be wrong.  Can you show proof it doesn't apply if you 'officially' retire?
Sorry, I said Cameroon won the 5 day rule case before but they didn't. Liverpool just didn't play him and wanted to wait on the FIFA ruling.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171026170218/http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/51/56/07/transfer_commentary_06_en_1843.pdf

Page 91, Calling up players:

"Once a player has been called up to play for his national team, he basically has to comply with this summons. Should he wish not to be called up for a certain match or matches or for a certain period of time, he must inform the association of which he is a national, in writing, of his intention before being called up. Furthermore, only the player himself is entitled to renounce representing his national team. This declaration shall be submitted by the player to the association concerned in writing."