Ryan Fraser

MickeyPaul

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he's in the squad as it stands. We could really be doing with him as well, even if I fear Clarke is going to continue to eschew deploying any wingers from the start. Even from the bench, his pace and his delivery could change a game for us. 

That is if he remains in the squad, of course. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Well, he's in the squad as it stands. We could really be doing with him as well, even if I fear Clarke is going to continue to eschew deploying any wingers from the start. Even from the bench, his pace and his delivery could change a game for us. 

He’s the only true winger we have in the squad. Burke is the only other player to have a gear beyond third. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Absolute nap he pulls out.  Also absolute nap if we qualify he'll be fit for the tournament.  

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

He’s the only true winger we have in the squad. Burke is the only other player to have a gear beyond third. 

He sure is. 

But if Clarke decides to start without wingers, as he did the last two games, Fraser will have to start on the bench. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:
18 hours ago, AndyDD said:
He sure is. 
But if Clarke decides to start without wingers, as he did the last two games, Fraser will have to start on the bench. 

I did wonder whether Clarke might play him at wing-back with Forrest missing.

I suppose he might, but I think if he goes with wing backs he's more likely to go with Palmer on the right. Could Fraser find himself further in field? Possibly. But you'd fancy McGinn or Christie to be given the free role ahead of Fraser, should anyone be asked to do that. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I suppose he might, but I think if he goes with wing backs he's more likely to go with Palmer on the right. Could Fraser find himself further in field? Possibly. But you'd fancy McGinn or Christie to be given the free role ahead of Fraser, should anyone be asked to do that. 

I agree, I think a wing back should be a defender first (Robertson/Palmer) rather than a forward who is trying to be converted (Forrest/Fraser). It can possibly work in a club game if it is a long term change like Valencia or Young at Man Utd but for a one off game it is a terrible decision to ask an attacking winger to play further back.

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree, I think a wing back should be a defender first (Robertson/Palmer) rather than a forward who is trying to be converted (Forrest/Fraser). It can possibly work in a club game if it is a long term change like Valencia or Young at Man Utd but for a one off game it is a terrible decision to ask an attacking winger to play further back.

I broadly agree with this and think its quite sage analysis.  Well played.

• 1 year later...

Yes, he’s injured. I said in March his performances for Newcastle would dictate whether was back in contention and I think he’s played about six minutes last week, when he came off the bench after his injury. So that probably answers that one.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-clarke-explains-scott-wright-27045797

Not sure if he's really ever shown that much in a Scotland shirt to suggest he is a big miss. Even at club level apart from that purple patch at Bournemouth, for me he has never really stood out and factoring in the 'call-offs/injuries' is there much to suggest he has a huge desire for national games to perform at his best level? If we got the Ryan Fraser from the end of his Bournmouth tenure, then he'd be a valued asset otherwise he's just another player of similar levels making up the squad (not convinced really adding any significant enhancement).

He'd be a better option off the bench than a number of the others who we've had to use, and would probably have done a better job at RWB in the Ukraine game. You'd have to rely on him to actually turn up though, which is where the issue lies.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Not sure if he's really ever shown that much in a Scotland shirt to suggest he is a big miss. Even at club level apart from that purple patch at Bournemouth, for me he has never really stood out and factoring in the 'call-offs/injuries' is there much to suggest he has a huge desire for national games to perform at his best level? If we got the Ryan Fraser from the end of his Bournmouth tenure, then he'd be a valued asset otherwise he's just another player of similar levels making up the squad (not convinced really adding any significant enhancement).

When we beat the Czech Republic 1-0 at Hampden he scored and got MOTM and he also got MOTM in the 1-0 win against Slovakia at home. Admittedly that was a while ago in October 2020.

He could be the small margin of improvement we need that could see us beating the likes of Ukraine in September.

Edited by Scary Bear

I'm a big fan of Fraser personally he was outstanding in the 2nd half in the 1-1 draw away in Israel playing off the left even taking his goal away.

He never really got great minutes at the Euros despite having scored against Israel and the Faroes prior to that tournament. 

Ryan Fraser is purely motivated by money, given he doesn't directly get money playing for Scotland he couldn't give a toss. He's out for every penny he can get and will soon be punted from newcastle.