Ryan Fraser

MickeyPaul

It's weird having Scottish "Star Players!" again and I'm glad assists stats became a thing. James Forrest is someone I'd love to see in the EPL incidentally, with a decent team before he's past it. The white Sadio Mané! I genuinely think he'd do quite well.  We're so close to being a decent side... I can feel it... through the embittered numbness and relentless kicks to the balls... we're close!

John Fleck is another guy that when I've seen him, he really doesn't seem to give the ball away.  I like that in a player.  I honestly think Scotland's stats for incomplete passes since we last qualified for a tournament will be among the worst in the world. Once we make 3 passes my brain focuses "How are we going to lose possession here? Who and how?" You know it's coming and usually it's because no one wants the fucking ball. Nobody moves. Static. So the guy on the ball just goes "Waaaaaaa!" and the commentator says "Careless again in possession" and it never ends. Go watch every Scotland game from the last 20 years and notice when one of our players is on the ball.... nae options. Everyone hiding. No one fucking moves. Spaces open up all the time but our guys are still man marking for when we lose it. Bah!
This so much.... I played ball at a decent level and we were coached 3 things.

1. If you have the ball, try do something with it... If no option pass to team mate in space.
2. If your team has the ball, get into space for a pass.
3. If your team doesn't have the ball get it back as soon as possible

Add skill to this and it's really a simple game which we are shite at

Movement off the ball isn't really something this team should struggle with. Christie, Armstrong and McGregor all excel at getting into good offensive positions for their respective clubs.

Back OT, I think if Fraser was English he'd be going for mega money. Top assist-er in the EPL at a team like Bournemouth is pretty extraordinary. He's been so consistent this year, he surely should fancy himself to make a go at it with a top 6-8 team.

51 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

1. If you have the ball, try do something with it... If no option pass to team mate in space.

Number 3 is total genius tbf.  Who would ever have thought of that.

On 20/04/2019 at 20:43, MickeyPaul said:

I also confess to not seeing a great deal of him but every time I have, just generally on the ball and in tight situations, he usually finds a team mate or makes something happen rather than blindly punting the ball in a general direction.

Controversial statement here but... every time I've seen Barry Bannan too.. I love how he can keep the ball with 2 or 3 guys on him and find a pass. He was superb when he came on for Sheffield Wednesday last night against Norwich, in my opinion. We absolutely (imo) want players like that. Players that can pass to teammates I mean.  It's quite important.

Bannan is my favourite Scotland player. I love his style of play and think he should be a first pick as I consider he offers something different than every other midfielder we have. He dropped out the last squad with no apparent explanation and I wonder if he is now finished with the set-up after missing the last few squads. Hopefully with a new manager he will be back in the reckoning. 

Probably this is a post I should duplicate in the Unpopular Opinions thread .......

Bannan's a decent player. Certainly nowhere near the worst and should be in the squad but he's easily bullied and too many of his passes are backwards and he's often slow to use it, giving opposition midfielders/defenders time to get back into position.

McTominay, Christie, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn are all far better than Bannan. That' why he ain't in the squads.

Ryan Fraser and Andy Robertson in the top assists rankings for the EPL. Pleasing. Fraser will be offski, you'd imagine. 

On 28/04/2019 at 00:35, John Lambies Doos said:

If that's what we're teaching at "a decent level" then it really should be no surprise that we're fucking ganting at International level.

Point. 1 is nonsense too.  Know what my personal hate is about football commentary and punditry in Britain?  'Passing is fine as long as it's with a purpose '.  Nonsense, watch the best teams in the world, the vast majority of their passes the purpose is simply to keep the ball.

On 28/04/2019 at 12:07, DAFC. said:

McTominay, Christie, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn are all far better than Bannan. That' why he ain't in the squads.

Ryan Fraser and Andy Robertson in the top assists rankings for the EPL. Pleasing. Fraser will be offski, you'd imagine. 

all far better? snigger. Bannan made the last squad. 

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:
3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:
all far better? snigger. Bannan made the last squad. 

John fleck now going to be playing in the epl. Played a huge part in his team going up...

He has and has done really well down there, but it doesn't mean he'll necessarily play much when they go up.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

True but he has came a very long way
From Coventry to sheff United to now into the big boy league
He deserves a shot. Whether it happens who knows... however right now his confidence must be sky high

Like Bannan he's a quality wee player, technically very good.  I would be all for having people like him in and around the squad.

• 4 weeks later...