Drum Lessons

1 hour ago, Come Away The Clyde said:

Got my first drum kit & have just started taking lessons  . . . . . . .i'm not young but have wanted to give it a try for years, anyone recommend any good books / DVD's (for absolute beginners obviously) ???

Cheers in advance

What sort of stuff do you like?

3 hours ago, Come Away The Clyde said:

Got my first drum kit & have just started taking lessons  . . . . . . .i'm not young but have wanted to give it a try for years, anyone recommend any good books / DVD's (for absolute beginners obviously) ???

Cheers in advance

What type of kit are you doing your lessons on? I found it a lot easier, as did my eldest, on an electronic kit, pre loading your favourite(easier) tracks.

Also whoever is giving you lessons should be advising you on what you should be learning and when to move on to the next bit.

Edited by tree house tam

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

What type of kit are you doing your lessons on? I found it a lot easier, as did my eldest, on an electronic kit, pre loading your favourite(easier) tracks.

Also whoever is giving you lessons should be advising you on what you should be learning and when to move on to the next bit.

Hi mate both kits (the one i bought & the tutors) are accoustic premier calibra late 90's - if that means anything to you (as I haven't a clue ha ha)

Actually I found the electronic kit to be frustrating because it sometimes failed with a double-kick which constantly threw me.

Obviously a key concern is the volume unless you don't have neighbours.
Putting towels over the drums worked quite well.
I found my neighbours did not like noise (does anyone?) but when it was a good steady beat they said it actually okay.

I went through the Rock School books, which have six songs in each book, along with a CD and other lessons.
Also, "The Art of the Drummer" was very useful.

Like all instruments, it is getting your body to do the work, basically "muscle memory" which is about practice, practice, practice as opposed to learning.
When it is a piece you can't do, then do it slower.  Once it is learnt, you will then be able to speed up.
Don't spend too much time on one piece.  Practice several things as you will surprised how often you can do a piece once you return to it.

Also, get a stand for the book.

Finally, timing is everything.  A drummer who lacks timing is a bad drummer and a band with a bad drummer is a bad band.

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Actually I found the electronic kit to be frustrating because it sometimes failed with a double-kick which constantly threw me.

Obviously a key concern is the volume unless you don't have neighbours.
Putting towels over the drums worked quite well.
I found my neighbours did not like noise (does anyone?) but when it was a good steady beat they said it actually okay.

I went through the Rock School books, which have six songs in each book, along with a CD and other lessons.
Also, "The Art of the Drummer" was very useful.

Like all instruments, it is getting your body to do the work, basically "muscle memory" which is about practice, practice, practice as opposed to learning.
When it is a piece you can't do, then do it slower.  Once it is learnt, you will then be able to speed up.
Don't spend too much time on one piece.  Practice several things as you will surprised how often you can do a piece once you return to it.

Also, get a stand for the book.

Finally, timing is everything.  A drummer who lacks timing is a bad drummer and a band with a bad drummer is a bad band.

Great advice, and much appreciated !!

9 hours ago, Come Away The Clyde said:

Very varied to be honest, Blues, Rock, Bowie, even 80's pop/synth etc etc

The hardest thing can be getting somewhere to practice.

A guy I know used to just put on a set of headphones, and jam with whatever was on the radio at the time - certainly made him versatile, and his timekeeping was good too.

I always say that you're keener to learn when you're playing songs you know, but what do I know?

I'll see if I can find any decent channels - I would tend to avoid to much technical stuff to begin with, and just focus on groove, but that's just me.

Playing electronic drums is a very different feel to an acoustic kit, and even Bill Bruford said that playing electronic drums wasn't good for his technique on acoustic drums.

Basho on, m8! :thumsup2

14 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The hardest thing can be getting somewhere to practice.

A guy I know used to just put on a set of headphones, and jam with whatever was on the radio at the time - certainly made him versatile, and his timekeeping was good too.

I always say that you're keener to learn when you're playing songs you know, but what do I know?

I'll see if I can find any decent channels - I would tend to avoid to much technical stuff to begin with, and just focus on groove, but that's just me.

Playing electronic drums is a very different feel to an acoustic kit, and even Bill Bruford said that playing electronic drums wasn't good for his technique on acoustic drums.

Basho on, m8! :thumsup2

Cheers mate - look forward to them !!

22 hours ago, Fullerene said:

A mate of mine used to play drums for a local band. He was always boasting that fellow band members would praise him for having excellent timing. I think what they meant was that he was never late in turning up for a gig.